• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
Well done on getting all of the ATW 142s! Apart from the faff at Cardiff in the evening, it sounds like a good day was had! Was it a football match that required the queuing system?

Sounded like some motorsport event somewhere in the city. Wouldn't be so bad if the security guards showed common sense and allowed passengers using the station to change between services on showing a valid ticket with seat reservation for a long distance service to not have to round the houses.

Although I seem to have bad luck in visiting Cardiff on event days, I managed to visit in May 2014 when a rugby final was on, and earlier in the year it clashed with some running event. I will probably look to head up on the 29th October, and knowing my luck there will be a World Cup qualifier on that day
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Kite, despite outright winners being a little thin on the ground, it seems that you had a very productive day exploring South Wales. I know that a 175 used to have a booked working to Maesteg in the evening peak but all day on a Saturday is a new one on me.
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
The relentless attack of everything continues! Brilliant stuff! What are you going to do when you have cleared everything? You'll be waiting for new stuff at this rate!
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
Kite, despite outright winners being a little thin on the ground, it seems that you had a very productive day exploring South Wales. I know that a 175 used to have a booked working to Maesteg in the evening peak but all day on a Saturday is a new one on me.

175s still have this working to Maesteg, 1232 from Holyhead. If there happens to be a Spare 175 at Canton due to displacement, the tendency is to use it rather than let it stand idle, and the Maesteg to Cheltenham route is the most convenient. On this day, the Marches was closed for Engineering Work between Newport and Shrewsbury thus throwing up spares.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
Slightly away from usual topic, but I'm puzzling at the moment.

As you probably won't aware the last three years I've challenged myself to undertake a
Foundation degree in business from the Open University, which I managed to pass my end of module exam (the day I scored 150232), and hence I've been invited to a graduation ceremony, which the closest to me is in Brighton.

The thing I'm puzzling about is how to get there, logic would be to use the Southern service from Southampton towards Brighton, but with the current issues would it be better to try and drive (with a couple other passengers) nearer to Brighton.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Drive to Winchester (to avoid the 159 ;)), 444 to Clapham, 377 to Brighton (because there's no shortage of them from Clapham so, even if one is caped then there'll be another along shortly. Alternatively, drive to Winchester, 444 to Waterloo, tube to St Pancras/Farringdon/Blackfriars and then Thameslink to Brighton.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
Drive to Winchester (to avoid the 159 ;)), 444 to Clapham, 377 to Brighton (because there's no shortage of them from Clapham so, even if one is caped then there'll be another along shortly. Alternatively, drive to Winchester, 444 to Waterloo, tube to St Pancras/Farringdon/Blackfriars and then Thameslink to Brighton.

My plan was to drive to Romsey for a 158 to Southampton (most likely a GWR service), then a 377 to Brighton "on the cheap" (i.e. £14), rather than the more costly via Clapham option (£24) per person from Romsey).

I will have to wait and see what happens come September time, it might be better going via Clapham if the 'temp' timetable is still in force (i.e. a +50 at Barnham from a Southampton - Victoria to a Pompey - Brighton)
 
Last edited:

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
Another 2 great reads there kite, triple congrats in order too, clearing the 317's and ATW tin cans for haulage and more importantly, on passing that Business degree. Well done mate. 153367 is one of the 2 ATW remaining dogboes I need for sight, that I missed out on, whilst on the FoSS.

How would you get to Brighton for your Graduation? go on your trusty steed, the bike. Damn sight cheaper, if you set off Saturday you may just make it in time, for a shower and shave before.
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Can't remember if I said congratulations off the forum or not, I hope I did, but many congratulations on passing the degree!

Definitely a case of see if the temporary timetable is still in effect at the time and go from there, otherwise a car share jobbie will have to do.
 

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2012
Messages
2,131
Location
Rochdale
Congrats on the OU degree.

Since the problem with getting to Brighton appears to be Southern, is there any merit in driving to somewhere on the Reading to Gatwick route, and catching the train there?
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
I think I will have to wait and see how Southern are doing come September. I would rather avoid driving to Brighton itself as it is rather expensive to park, with a local bus being used as a rubbish P&R.

I've found a good example of timetable padding, Edinburgh to Dunbar, 19 minutes to Dunbar, 27 minutes back to Edinburgh!

(Well I had to find something to do on Saturday so it be Dunbar and the line towards Glasgow via Bathgate)
 
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
15th July – Another London Smash & Grab

It was another Friday afternoon/evening trip to London, this time with my remaining 3, 376s in my sight, with the idea of grabbing them and heading across to Fenchurch Street for some blind hunting for my final 6x 357s. With the knowledge at which services those 376s were working, I set a completely rough plan, but mainly would be played by ear. A short drive to Andover station, parking in my usual place down a side street, and I was on the platform for the 14:38 service to Waterloo, formed this afternoon of 158886 leading 159107 & 159001, so doing my usual after grabbing the ID of the rear unit I had a fast walk to jump onto the mostly empty 158.

An on time arrival into Waterloo, and to kill some time I headed across to Waterloo East where I spotted a required 466 at the rear of a 10-coach set heading towards Charing Cross, so a quick check of RTT highlighted a couple moves I could take to grab that 10-coach working back out. The first was a pair of dud 375s which I’m glad I turned down as they got stuck outside Charing Cross waiting for a platform due to a failed Folkestone service blocking up one of the 6 platforms. Next up was duds 466015 & 465186 (as I previously noted it was described as “formed of 6 coaches” so had hoped it would be a required 466). A fast walk via the barriers at Charing Cross (roll on August when the platforms at London Bridge reopen for Charing Cross services) to platform 6, although I couldn’t get to the front unit before the whistle hence jumping on the rear unit, however it was winner 466011 leading duds 465003 & 465163 to take me back over the river for the 3 quarters of a mile trip to Waterloo East.

With nothing due to head back towards Charing Cross for a good 10 minutes, I headed down to the Jubilee line, which was like an oven, so not wanting to hang around for too long saw me jumping on the first service, formed of duds 96121 & 96004 for another 62 chain leap to London Bridge, where I exited into the nice cool air heading towards platform 3. One thing I noticed when on 96004 is the announcements said which side the doors opened on (pretty sure that is new, or something I hadn’t noticed before). From what it sounded the main way from the LU station to the low-level platforms were blocked involving a detour (so something to bear in mind for any tight connections), however I was headed to platform 3, and with a couple dud services rolling through towards Cannon Street, winners 376015 & 376002 rolled in to take me to Cannon Street, where due to a slightly late arrival meant they would be forming the next service back out to London Bridge, meant a quick change of units to be in 376002 back out to London Bridge.

Another walk over the remains of the footbridge to platform 3, as another trio of networkers were spotted heading in towards Cannon Street, with another required 466 spotted on the front, so I was happy when dud 376025 rolled in with winner 376032 on the rear, my final 376, which I am grateful for as I don’t have to worry about the hot-boxes ever again! To Cannon Street, and a short walk as I boarded winner 466008 at the rear of duds 465159 & 465001 back out to London Bridge, taking my requirements down to 5 of the 2-car Networkers. Anyhow a couple services later at London Bridge before I boarded duds 376030 & 376006 back to Cannon Street, where I wanted to head down to the underground until I spotted a required 375/9 in the middle of a trio of units on platform 7, and a required 375/9 at the rear of a trio of units on platform 1.

It would be rude to turn down a 375/9, so it was to platform 1 with duds 375914 & 375912 were leading winner 375910, with a few minutes before departure to head back out to London Bridge, for another short wait (at this point I decided the 357s can wait for another day and to have a look at what else tips up, highlighting potential 375s trio departures from Cannon Street, although as most come from sidings via a reversal near Blackfriars to reach Cannon Street via the Metropolitan curve meant I couldn’t eyeball them arriving via London Bridge. Anyhow after a few dud services (not that surprisingly as I only need a handful of 465/9s as well as those 5 466s), I boarded 465049/465902/466038 back to Cannon street, as I needed to use the toilet.

Once more I had to decide between 375 trios (after London Bridge, one ran fast to Rochester, the other to High Brooms), so picked dud 375603 leading winner 375628 with dud 375623 at the rear for another short hop to London Bridge, for another brief fester before fresh duds 376002/376015 returned from doing a loop around the south east of London to take me back to Cannon Street, where I wasn’t there for long before coming back to London Bridge on winner 375903 leading duds 375906 & 375922, taking my 375/9 requirements down to 2 of the sub-class (and 14 overall). Once at London Bridge I remembered something from earlier in the week, that a 700 worked service was due to depart to Brighton in 10 minutes, so foolishly fighting the crowds on P1-P2 (should have crossed over to P3 for an easier way down to the concourse), I headed over to London Bridge Low level, to wait and see if that 700 would tip up today.

The platform was announced, and the train was described as running late due to earlier congestion, but in rolled 700107 in all its Dessie City glory, taking a seat in coach 2 or 12 (quite firm) as I looked down the train, at all the open gangways, at the colour screens saying which coaches were busier than others (no prize for guessing that the rear coach was red for standing room only and the front coaches were green!) We eventually got going 10 minutes late and picked up a good bit of speed (although I guess a good test for DC acceleration is from East Croydon or Gatwick where the speed is higher). Around 10 minutes later and with the first 700 into my “ten mile club” I alighted at East Croydon, and crossed over to P1 for a Southern branded train to Victoria.

A busy 377432 & 377141 rolled in and I grabbed a seat in the 3+2 coach of 432 (the seats on the 700 were a lot better than these seats), a quick hop to Clapham Junction put 377141 over 10 miles, where I had two options, either the 19:20 Exeter/Bristol service from Clapham, or head to Waterloo and board the 19:50 Salisbury. My mind was made up when the 19:20 rolled in and it was absolutely heaving, passengers standing all the way down the aisles, with the guard having to do the doors from the front as the vestibule areas were pretty much full, the service left passengers behind at Clapham. I think it must be down to the 19:20 being the first service which the £16 day returns are valid on departing London, not helped with it being both an Exeter & Bristol. Anyhow for me it was a quick hop back to Waterloo on 455725/455723, with enough time to grab some food from Sainsburys before returning to the concourse to take a seat on 159101 forming the 19:50 to Salisbury, which called additionally at Clapham to “rescue” passengers for stations between Basingstoke & Salisbury who couldn’t board the earlier train.

Anyhow, 9 new units into my book, with another class cleared for haulage, plus the 1st of many 700s, it was a successful day, although it was good to finally get some speed and away from those bus stop leaps between Cannon Street & London Bridge, although come August that move won’t be possible for many months.

---------------------

16th July – A Central Scotland Mini-Rover

A weekend trip to Edinburgh, with the main focus to do the Queen Street diversions (I know it’s taken me this long to get around to doing them), although my original plan went into the bin after all holiday at work got cancelled due to a “VVIP Visit” (which got cancelled due to the change of PM), and my 2nd plan got put into the “to do next year” with the Scot Rail strike affecting many services from Edinburgh.

Anyhow it was to Grateley station to catch the 05:27 service for the first time in a fair few weeks, formed this morning of 159017 for the nice run to Waterloo, noting that the 05:59 service today had been cancelled due to lack of train crew. Once at Waterloo I had time to kill so decided to head down to the Northern Line to make a change and was rewarded with winners 51560/51710 for the short hop to Charing Cross, followed by 51547/51548 to Tottenham Court Road. A couple duds later and I decided to cut my losses and jumped on 51549/51550 to Warren Street, and dud 11065/11066 to take me to Kings Cross St Pancras. Swinging via the ticket office to pick up my rover for the day (as I hadn’t had the chance to visit Andover ticket office during the week).

I was booked onto the 08:00 Edinburgh service, which RTT had from going from P0, so I took the long walk to the front of the train to make a note of which 91 would be pulling me to Edinburgh (also making a note of any other 91s in the station just in case RTT was wrong), sadly it was dud 91102 “City of York” leading dud DVT 82225. As a left over from my failed weekday trip I was in 1st class, so it was back down to coach M, my assigned seat was in a table of 4 on the left hand side in the direction of travel, so I shifted to a unreserved table of 2 on the right hand side (which gives the best views north of Newcastle). As it was the 08:00 departure it was a breakfast train, although all breakfast was when the trolley reached coach M (just south of Peterborough) was a muffin with some syrup inside, and a raspberry yoghurt with some nuts/seeds you could mix in with it. The choices for the all-day sandwiches were Egg Mayo or Salmon, so when the trolleys came round again after York I turned down the offer of a sandwich, instead picking out some crisps.

A enjoyable run up the ECML, reading my book (as to be honest the ECML is rather boring down south), non-stop to York, then via the Darlington loop, Newcastle & Berwick, arriving into Edinburgh around 7 minutes ahead of schedule (I guess due to the North Berwick services only being hourly and the Scotrail Dunbar services being cancelled freed up some paths allowing a faster journey). It was into platform 8 arriving around the same time as a Virgin from the West arrived from the Bat Cave. With some time to kill before the Plymouth bound XC would depart I had RTT fired up to highlight potential leaps to Haymarket, with a required 170 spotted on a Glenrothes with Thornton service, however another required 170 was spotted working a Perth service which would depart first. A good call as it was a double winner with 170416 leading 170419 to take me the 1 mile 19 chains to Haymarket.

I had a couple options at Haymarket to get me back to Edinburgh in time to make a decent connection, first was a trio of dud 158s from Dunblane, which rolled in at the same time as a pair of 334s from Glasgow, so it was the 3rd service to take me back to Edinburgh Waverley formed of duds 170413 & 170429. The Plymouth bound XC was departing from bay platform 4 (required micro-grice) and with a ticket check before you could board 220020, finding my reserved seat for the nice run out of Waverley back east to Dunbar, a very pretty station on a loop from the main-line (which I’ve only ever previously called at on a HST from Aberdeen). 8 minutes later and dud 220029 rolled in to take me back towards Edinburgh, where due to some timetable padding we arrived a good 6 (or so) minutes ahead of schedule (I know a long distance XC service arriving early!).

A short walk over to the west side bay platforms, foolishly turning down a chance to put myself ahead of my schedule to see which 170s were on a Glasgow Queen Street, sadly they were both dud, and the decision would come back to bite me later. Anyhow with nothing else required heading to Haymarket I took a seat on dud 334012 for the nice trip via the Bathgate line to Drumgelloch, over the large footbridge and to the other platform (nothing much of note around the station itself) and onto duds 334010/334017 to take me to Caldercruix which is a station with pretty much a 30 minute fester as the half hourly services to/from Milngavie pass, and it is an evil footbridge.

Anyhow with 30 minutes to kill, I had a quick look around, the station car-park was empty and there didn’t appear to be anything else much around, apart from housing. Back to the station and the wind had started to pick up with some rain in the air, however nothing came from the rain as I boarded 334005/334035 to take me to Armadale a station with a nearby Asda, over the evil footbridge to the other platform (has steps but they double back on themselves coming down outside the station), a group of youths were messing around throwing litter around (empty/full crisp packets, bottles of pop), and I was glad when 334005 & 334035 rolled in to take me to Blackridge the final half hourly served shack on this line.

A nice part of the country which some good scenery (a large lake) but with parts of urban decay with some old buildings rotting away, some unfulfilled plans (i.e. a large area of wasteland connected to a road via a roundabout blocked off with some large rocks). Anyhow it wasn’t long before 334001/334038 rolled in to take me to Livingston North which is an evil station to get between platforms in any sort of hurry, took me 4 minutes and that was running at the end. Anyhow this is where things went wrong as signalling had failed around the Hyndland area which meant the next Edinburgh bound service was around 25 minutes late (I knew I should have jumped on that pair of 334s earlier to grab Uphall). A quick revised plan was formed with duds 334017 & 334010 taking me to Bathgate where I would have had a tight +5 to get between platforms (back to a large footbridge, this time with lifts).

Revised plan time and 20 minutes or so later 334002/334016 took me to Airdrie, followed shortly by 334039/334031 for the tiny leap to Coatdyke followed 10 minutes later in the freezing wind by duds 318260 & 320319 to Coatbridge Sunnyside, where I decided to call it a day and crossed over via the roadbridge to board 334023/334030 which was at the time running 25 minutes late to Uphall. Another evil station if you want to get between platforms in a hurry, you need a good 6 or 7 minutes to get to the other side via a road bridge. I should have stayed on the same platform for a short wait, but I knew from earlier the next Glasgow bound service had one of my last 2 334s on and that afterwards it would go to Yoker sidings. Anyhow winner 334006 attached with 334018 took me to Livingston North where I had a +6 connection on RTT, so crossing over to the other side to be greeted with the news that the next train had been cancelled at Bathgate.

Great, as I took a seat, the next service was down as being 15 minutes later, that to got cancelled (or made to run fast after Bathgate), so 30 minutes later duds 334007/334009 rolled in to take me back to Haymarket, which was like a ghost town in terms of departures (due to the strike). A dud 170 rolled in to Edinburgh which I turned down to head to the trams, and after a short while dud 275 rolled in on route to the Airport, but winner 269 was York Place bound, so a quick hop to West End Princes Street saw that tram into my book. Tram 259 rolled in on the island platform to take me back to Haymarket as I heard the last Glasgow – Edinburgh service accelerate away a few minutes early, but next York Place bound tram was winner 262, so it was another short hop to West End with another required tram 267 heading the other way.

At Haymarket, I highlighted a 390 arrival was due, so it was a quick hop back to the station and down the stairs, jumping on an unknown 390 just as the door hustle alarm went, a quick check saw it being required 390136 for the short hop to Edinburgh Waverley. A smile on my face as I exited the station, noting that the departure screens had 4 departures showing, a late running XC to Dundee and 3 services to Helensburgh Central, it was like a ghost town. Anyhow a short walk to St Andrews Square to carry on with my tram hunting, saw winner tram 266 taken around the corner to Princes Street with a 10 minute fester (with the background noise of the Stereophonics playing live at Edinburgh Castle) before winner 272 to West End Princes Street, in the meanwhile I had spotted another couple required trams before spotting 275 coming back from the Airport.

A 10 minute fester at West End before winner 256 took me to Haymarket, with fresh dud 259 back to West End followed by winner 271 back to Haymarket. I was quite happy as 8 out of the 9 trams out this evening were required, which put a big dent into my requirements, leaving a mere 8 trams to get from the large Edinburgh Tram fleet which is underused (due to ordering the trams for the whole route towards Leith before it got cut back to York Place). It was to my hotel (OK, university student accommodation which was being hired out during the summer holidays), with a bus on a route 12, fleet 45 (a Volvo Hybrid) to a stop over a railway bridge (single track line towards a waste loading point). After checking in and dumping my bag it was back to the road for a short run on double decker fleet number 880 (running a route 16) back towards the city centre, to grab some food from McDonalds opposite St Andrews Square (mainly to keep an eye on the trams just in case I missed one).

My final move of the evening was another double deceker, this time working a route 25, fleet number 405 back to the bus stop, to relax for the evening on a comfy bed for a good nights sleep. Overall a good day with several shacks scored (the remaining ones after Coatbridge will be easy enough to do on a Roundabout in November time), 4 more units in the bag, plus 8 trams (not forgetting 4 more 1995 stock units).

Some pictures:
220020 at Dunbar (to break up my ECML shack requirements between Edinburgh & Newcastle)


Rejoining the main-line:


334012 departing Drumgelloch

334019 departing Armadale:
 
Last edited:

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Ouch to the 220s to and from Dunbar...

Shame about the signalling problems but it sounds like a good time was had with several more shacks in the bag.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
17th July – A Mini Central Scotland Rover Day 2

After a good night of sleep, I checked out of the student accommodation block (useful to note for future Edinburgh trips in July time) and decided to walk up the hill towards York Place to see if any of my last 8 trams were out, but alas the first one was one I had yesterday so I gave that a miss and walked to Waverley station to join the 09:00 service towards Glasgow Queen Street LL. No winners for this trip as it was duds 170429 & 170473 for the nice trip westwards towards Glasgow, pausing at Haymarket, Linlithgow, Polmont, Falkirk High & Croy before heading towards Queen Street to do the “low level loop”.

New track for me was scored with the chord between Cowlairs East & North to join the Maryhill line (I’m guessing this line will see wires at some point), turning off to pass Kelvindale and using the new connection to the main lines via Anniesland and around into Glasgow Queen Street low level, where I switched units to be in 170473, as the service restarted on the next Edinburgh bound service, going via Duke Street, and scoring the other new track this side of Glasgow in the shape of Sighthill West to Cowlairs West junctions, back towards Croy & Falkirk as I alighted at Polmont to score the shack and also as a way to head towards Stirling.

Winner 158706 rolled in with duds 158736 & 158867, as I took a seat in the Inverness based 158 for the short run towards Stirling arriving pretty much on time, giving me around 20 minutes to kill before the next Glasgow Central service rolled in from Aberdeen, so it was out to Greggs for a meal-deal. The PIS at Stirling had the service to Glasgow down as “arrived” a good couple minutes before winner 170427 rolled in attached with dud 170408. I jumped on the leading coach of 170427 which to my surprise was mostly empty. A good run via Larbert turning off towards Cumbernauld for a brief pause to pick up a DB Cargo pilot before continuing towards Coatbridge Central (looked as bleak as ever), scoring the track between Coatbridge Junction & Langloan Junction (still need a lot of red track in this area).

A nice enough run towards Glasgow via Kirkwood, noting a new viaduct and some earthworks around the motorway crossing bridge (a new road junction?), rolling into Glasgow Central 6 minutes ahead of schedule, which was always a bonus as it allowed me to have a slow walk to the low level platform to board dud 320311 to Partick, with two options to get to Queen Street, a dud 318 for Cumbernauld which I gave up in exchange for duds 334035/334005 bound for Edinburgh which I took for the short (2 and a half mile) run to Queen Street Low Level.

A short while after the 334s had departed dud 170396 rolled in with winner 170406 on the rear, and like before it took me to Polmont where I crossed over to the other side. A short wait before duds 158736 & 158867 popped up again (158706 seemingly disappearing to work a Fife circle service), this time I alighted at Camelon for a 10 minute connection with winner 170458 leading dud 170455 to take me back to Haymarket.

A look at RTT suggested that the ECML was in a bit of chaos, so I decided to jump on the next available service, which was from the Fife circle and was formed of fresh dud 158706 for the nice run to Edinburgh to see what was happening. A quick scan picked up nothing required heading back out to Haymarket, and services back on the move around the ECML. A VTEC service drew in which RTT was suggesting would form the 16:20, but I was in doubts as the set which would form the 16:00 hadn’t arrived. However around 15:50 that set rolled into P2 so I went back to P8, which was announced as the 16:20. Dud DVT 82202 was leading dud 91111 (For the Fallen), my seat was in coach C of a heavily reserved refurbed set, but was a good seat as it was on the left hand side and had a good window view.

Relaxing in the red chair I noted the 16:00 was around 15 minutes late in departing, and we departed on time, needless to say we caught up with it as it called at both Berwick & Alnmouth, coming to a stop at Alnmouth. We regained some time at Newcastle, but again we caught up as that service called at Durham, and a brief wait outside the Darlington loop lines (for a station on a loop, Darlington gets a good level of service, I wonder how much faster the journey would be if more trains omitted Darlington). With a long booked dwell at York, meant by the time we departed we were mostly on time, storming through Doncaster and overtaking the 16:00 south of Doncaster. Next calling point was Grantham, where it sounded a passenger forgot to get off, but things were looking good until we came to a stop north of the junction where the Spalding line comes in.

All lines in Peterborough were blocked due to trespassers, 20 (ish) minutes later we got going, but another stop at Peterborough (we weren’t meant to call) before carrying on south, looking at RTT it was a 2 minute headway, but due to a service from Leeds a couple trains ahead calling at Stevenage meant another 5 minute delay pushing the train over the golden 30 minute mark, where we lost a bit more time waiting for a platform to become available at Kings Cross, festering at Finsbury Park for a good 5 minutes, running into Kings Cross platform 0, 36 minutes late. It was to the underground and duds 11039/11040 took me to Oxford Circle via the Victoria Line, and 3259/3542 on the Bakerloo took me to Waterloo.

25 minutes to kill before the 22:15, and I decided to go via McDonalds in Waterloo, and I ditched the chaos as there was around 4 different queues, some heavily drunken idiots and nothing moving that fast. So to Tesco for a meal-deal and to the platform, where I was in luck as the 22:15 featured 2 of the 3 members of the “not quite 1000 mile” 159 club in the shape of 159003 (which claimed membership of the 159 thousand mile club) and 159018 (sitting at around 950 miles). A good run back home gave me a chance to reflect on my day, the main aim was to do those diversions which was complete with the bonus of 3 more 170s and an Inverness 158, taking my 170s requirements down to single figures (9 in total).

Anyhow some pictures:

Polmont, in a few months time will be completely different:



Camelon:
 

alexf380

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2011
Messages
1,417
Location
Musselburgh, Scotland
A good couple of days in my homeland, Kite, and its always nice to hear that another forum member was only feet away from you; I arrived into Edinburgh at about 16:10 on Sunday afternoon. The chaos was caused by a person hit by a train at Longniddry, so I was told.

Glad you enjoyed yourself!
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Sounds like another cracking time there. Shame about the East coast chaos on the way back but at least you can claim delay repay. Ouch to the 159 mileage... What's your total?
 

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
As expected, good stuff - drunks and delays notwithstanding.
For some reason, when I think of Camelon I always think of it being sung by Bryan Ferry a la "Avalon"
Does anybody else?
No?
Just me then.
:lol:
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Kite, another excellent value for money write up. Some very productive days in Scotland. Shame about the delays on the way home but at least you did not lose any bashing time. You certainly did well with the Edinburgh trams given your requirements - and a few eliminated from the Scotrail list too. Can't be bad?
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
3 very good reads as always Kite, most productive time despite the issues on the A-B route. It can't have been much fun on that slow journey back to Kings Cross though!

Like yourself, I too need a lot of red track up there, the bit from Coatbridge to Langloan Junction at least knocking it down a bit. A long way to go yet, but all progress is good progress!

Without referring to my NREA I'd have needed maybe only 2 or 3 of those trains you got in the Central Belt! Like me, your requirements are almost non-existant in that part of the world now, until you include shacks of course. I really shouldn't point out how few I need in the Central Scotland Rover area...;)

An enormous clearout still going I see in London, I need too many 376s to keep track of without my books and memo files. Without any doubt I'd have scored quite a bit on your moves, only needing 14 375s is good going too. I believe my count yesterday was 35 of them, which will be dealt with properly once all SET shacks are dealt with next year. Peak time at Sevenoaks is calling, as I'm sure anyone else who's sampled that experience will know how good it can be for getting 375s in. All those 9, 10, 11 and 12 car sets coming through, and by the time I do it the amount of 700s will make it even better. Bring on a Kent Rover in 2017, especially when you factor in the 395s that I need too..<D
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Oooooo count me in on the Kent rover.

Kite, you must be one of the last regulars on here to bash the glasgow diverts. Glad you had fun and thanks for sharing
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
Kite, another excellent value for money write up. Some very productive days in Scotland. Shame about the delays on the way home but at least you did not lose any bashing time. You certainly did well with the Edinburgh trams given your requirements - and a few eliminated from the Scotrail list too. Can't be bad?

All things considered getting some Edinburgh trams into my book was good, seeing as those things are going to be a right pain to clear completely owing to the number of them to the route they work, where even at peak time less than half are out.

@ Blindtraveller - Aye, but they are done :)

@ Quinn, my delay repay claim has gone in, I dare say I will get something back from VTEC quicker than from Northern from Brigg
 

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
Jesus h christ kite, this relentless pace doesnt seem like its slowing down. Congrats on the winners and putting to bed another class and making huge inroads on others, thats without mentioning track or shacks.

Very impressive mate, another excellent read too.
 

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2012
Messages
2,131
Location
Rochdale
Oooooo count me in on the Kent rover.

Kite, you must be one of the last regulars on here to bash the glasgow diverts. Glad you had fun and thanks for sharing

Not quite the last<D

I Did Cumbernauld to Glasgow Central about an hour and a half ago...

Cowlairs East to North is dud; West to North is a probability for Tuesday :)
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
You managed to get a fair amount done in Scotland, considering it was during the stike action.

Regarding the comment about roadworks near the Rutherglen & Coatbridge Railway (the Whifflet line), it is the remnants of the old A8 that is being upgraded to M8 between Baillieston Interchange and Newhouse (the A73 What's it called? Cumbernauld to Lanark road).
 

87electric

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2010
Messages
1,243
All things considered getting some Edinburgh trams into my book was good, seeing as those things are going to be a right pain to clear completely owing to the number of them to the route they work, where even at peak time less than half are out

I think it took myself 10 trips up there to clear the tram fleet. Most satisfying though when it is achieved.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
23rd July – Exploring the Bittern Line

A trip to Norfolk was on the cards to visit some of the various little stations on the line towards Sheringham, my original plan changing to head up via Cambridge instead of via Ipswich (the reasons will become clear). It was a gentle ride to the station to see that the 05:27 service to Waterloo had been cancelled... A great start of the day, thankfully I had a backup plan and wasn’t booked on something like the 07:30 from Euston. The train sped through as empty stock as it was starting from Basingstoke, so I can only imagine it was missing a guard rather than a driver, with a replacement guard joining at Basingstoke.

30 minutes later and the 05:59 rolled in, formed of 159019 for the gentle run towards Waterloo, nothing of note spotted on the run apart from a 5 minute fester outside Waterloo waiting for the first Exeter service to roll out, which looked rather busy (nothing compared to the 19:20 service on a weekday, but not a lot of space left on the single unit). A fast walk (as fast as I can go carrying around the bike) and onto the northbound Bakerloo line platform with a couple minute wait before 3545/3231 rolled in to take me onwards to Oxford Circus, crossing over to the other side to jump onto duds 11053/11054 to Kings Cross St Pancras, with another fast walk to head to Kings Cross, where I was hoping to get onto the 07:44 (which for some reason I kept thinking it was the 07:46).

I jumped onto the front coach of dud 365502 at 07:42, grabbing one of the few bay seats, a very close call (although my backup would have been the semi-fast Cambridge service departing 10 or so minutes later, and go straight to Norwich). A good speedy run on the ECML (although roll on the 387s for that extra speed), crossing over the Hitchin Flyover and towards Cambridge, arriving pretty much bang on time, overtaking a stopper which was waiting to access one of the south bay platforms. With time to kill before the Ipswich train, I spotted a WH Smiths on the concourse (hadn’t noticed it before), to pick up a newspaper, a bite to eat and a nice cold drink.

Back over to the northern bays and the Ipswich service had rolled in, formed of 2 coaches so I was hoping it would be a 156 to give some good thrash, but sadly it was dud 170272, the rear coach was busy but the front coach was empty, easy enough to grab a table for the run in a rough eastern direction (the 170s seem so slow off the mark), skipping Dullingham and calling at Kennett, thankfully a large group of ladies was waiting for the Cambridge train at Newmarket (looked like heading out for a drunken day, wine already being drunk). We paused for a few minutes for a late running Cambridge train (a required 156) at the single lead junction joining the Great Eastern main line, where I alighted at Stowmarket, a nice enough station. Over to the other platform to wait for the Norwich service, trying to predict where the best place was to stand to grab the ID of the 90 pushing the train (I think my first 90-push since October 14 with the final Virgin Pretendolino working, having been hauled by 90s since, and my first proper run on a GA Mk3 set since August 14 (as Stratford – Liverpool Street doesn’t really count)!.

Anyhow, a few minutes late dud DVT 82136 came in being pushed by winner 90004, so grabbing a seat for the run towards Norwich, pausing at Diss, and into platform 1, where passengers heading to Great Yarmouth were asked to make their way quickly to platform 5 where a very cosy 153 was waiting (yep, a summer Saturday during the summer holidays and GA puts on a 153 for a Yarmouth service). However it was onto winner 156402 which was another cosy service to take me onto the Bittern Line for the first time in a couple years, with some good scenery on a semi-fast service to my first shack of the day at Cromer. My original plan was to walk the mile towards Roughton Road but as I had the bike I rode via the entrance to a wildlife park, but I arrived with lots of time to spare to explore the single platform high up on an embankment. 30 seconds later I had finished exploring the bus shelter (not really a lot here), and 20 or so minutes later fresh dud 156402 returned to take me to Gunton another roughly 2-hourly served station.

A nice station, with old station buildings on the disused platform, done up in a traditional style. I was meant to have a +12, but this is where things went a tad wrong, departure time came and went, I managed to hook up to some WiFi (being with BT for broadband has its benefits) and saw that the service had departed Norwich around 35 minutes late, so hiding in the shadows provided by a hedge (for it was getting quite warm and I didn’t want to sit in the sun for 30 minutes. 201001 thumped through on route to the North Norfolk Railway (sounded amazing), and eventually a very cosy dud 153306 rolled in, a mere 40 minutes late where it got turned around at Cromer rather than continuing towards Sheringham, which annoyingly meant I couldn’t get West Runton into my book, but as that is hourly it isn’t the end of the world.

Remaining on board the 20-minute late in departing 153306 back towards Norwich, where a good run saw the London train being held for a couple passengers on route to an airport, I was thinking of bailing but as the 14:18 to Great Yarmouth was meant to be the 37 hauled “short-set” I wanted to get some tractor haulage. Swinging via the Co-Op on the concourse (a meal deal is now £3.50 in there, still cheaper than Wh Smiths) and after spotting that the next London service was meant to be formed of 17 coaches (somehow I doubt the PIS was correct), I headed to platform 4 where the 14:18 was meant to be waiting... 14:18 came and went and around 14:23, 156402 rolled in and was stepped up to form the 14:18. I’m guessing due to the delay of that 153 coming back in meant that the diagrams had been messed up. No 37 haulage for me today (bah humbug!!!), but then I had an idea, an idea so cunning it could have been developed by the cunning fox of oxford university, with the delays caused by that 153 lateness, meant I could potentially score North Walsham, the passing point on the single track which normally gives a very tight connection.

Dud 156416 rolled in and was announced to being the 14:45, so climbing on board only for everybody to be kicked off a few minutes later and the unit locked up, as the next Sheringham was meant to be rolling into P4 on top of that 156. 14:45 came and went, no unit in sight and 156416 was unlocked and we got told to board, departing a mere 8 minutes late. However with the next service being at least 15 minutes down I bailed at North Walsham for the long push/ride to the other platform. A few hints, this station makes Uphall look easy, I would say a good 6 minutes to walk between platforms, and you need to be at the front of the unit.

Anyhow my gamble paid off, as 5 minutes later dud 153314 rolled in. (what is more annoying is that previous to this trip I’ve only had 2 of the 5 GA 153s, and to get both on the same day is bad luck, I think I spotted one in Crown Point so the other two must be doing the branch lines). A heavy-ish loading and I alighted at Salhouse, a station seemingly in the middle of nowhere, with a nice former station building (disused) with canopy on the Norwich bound platform, and not a lot else other than a barrow crossing to get between platforms. Anyhow my fester here was reduced to 10 minutes as dud 156419 popped up to take me to Worstead, another roughly 2 hourly served shack, and another station in the middle of nowhere. Evidence of the former 2nd platform overgrown, but an extended wait before 156416 returned to take me to Salhouse, for no other reason than to waste time.

Although another delay departure of the next service (10 late in departing Norwich), meant I missed the return of 201001 (talking to some photographers at Salhouse hoping to get a picture of it returning), dud 156409 rolled in to take me to Hoveton & Wroxham, next to a narrow-gauge line, a nice little station with PIS, however like before it was an extended wait (cut back due to the late running 409), before 156419 returned to take me back to Norwich. When at Salhouse, I overheard that the loco set might have been sent out on a Great Yarmouth service, so in the unlikely chance, I remained on board 156419 to Brundall, taking up position on the footbridge and hoping. Sadly it wasn’t 37422/37405, but dud 156416, ah well; it was worth the chance I guess.

Once back into Norwich, I headed over towards platform 3 to wait for the arrival of the service from Cambridge, which would then go on to form the 18:38 service towards Cambridge, a service which is slightly unusual as it booked to call, by request, at the least used station in the UK, the only weekly service to call heading west. It was onto dud 170206, putting my request in to the guard when he came round checking tickets, and after we passed Lakenheath I went to unfold the bike and get ready to alight at Shippea Hill. As expected I was the only passenger to alight at this station in the middle of nowhere, after a couple photos I was onto my bike with a couple options, Littleport at around 5 and a bit miles was the closest, but did I want to trust Great Northern not to cancel a service? Not really so I set the controls to the heart of the sun, just over 8 and a bit miles to Ely, and thankfully no farm-tracks today nor any busy roads.

The land is very flat around here, I saw a level crossing and an EMT 158 heading towards Nottingham, but it was a good 10 minutes before I reached it, passing via Prickwillow and Queen Adelaide, a little hamlet where the three lines come together, riding for a while alongside the railway before heading down the side of the river, reaching Ely, where I decided to go across the level crossing rather than under the low bridge, completing my ride in around 55 minutes, including a couple stops to take on water (which for a little folding bike was quite good going). Anyhow it was through the subway for a short wait before dud 170208 rolled in to take me to Cambridge where I had a choice, either a semi-fast GA 379 to Liverpool Street or a fast GN 365 to Kings Cross, I was going for the Liverpool Street service but that was quite busy so I climbed into the leading coach of 365527 attached with 365537 for some motor noise from some high speed running (which clears both units for 10 miles, as both only were down as bus stop leaps between shacks towards Peterborough).

I rolled into Kings Cross at 22:03, I suppose in theory I could have made the 22:20 from Waterloo, with a fast walk and hoping that LU was behaving, but with bike in tow and needing food, I instead headed to the Sub Surface lines for some linear hopping. First up was winner 21019/21020 to Euston Square, followed by a dud S7 and another dud S8. A few minutes later 21023/21024 got highlighted on a 30 chain hop to Great Portland Street, another dud S7 appeared on route to Hammersmith, but sadly it was dud 21001/21002 to take me around the corner to Baker Street. Down to the Bakerloo/Jubilee, I set up camp at the back end of the platform to cross between lines to see if anything required popped up, first up was a dud Bakerloo, followed by dud Jubilee, before required 3251 came in attached with dud 3540 to Oxford Circus, for a couple minute break before another couple duds before calling it a night with dud 3245/3557 to Waterloo.

Swinging via Sainsbury for a bottle of drink and McDonalds for some food, before I headed to the main concourse where the 23:40 had been announced, but not unlocked, however as most of the crowd was waiting around the rear 2 coaches, I headed to the ‘quiet’ coach on 159015, which eventually was unlocked and I grabbed a table seat to have my food. An uneventful run back towards Grateley, the usual mass exodus at Basingstoke (considering after the 23:05 Southampton, this is the fastest way to Basingstoke as it overtakes the 23:35 at Farnborough). Back home, a quick ride home and relaxation, giving me chance to reflect, only 1 required 156 plus a required 90, but that line is nearly clear, and looking at my remaining GA shacks, all I think have a mostly hourly+ service.

Anyhow some pictures:
156402 taking a rest at Cromer:


Roughton Road, has nice flowers:


Old station building at Gunton:


201001 passing, nothing unusual about a Hastings DEMU here...


Cats at Norwich:


156416 waiting at North Walsham:


Salhouse:


Worstead:


Sitting waiting around at Hoveton & Wroxham:


170206 getting ready to depart GB’s busiest station Shippea Hill:

Only a week for another train to call on this side!

Old signal box:


Drainage Museum... useful as this area is below sea level:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top