• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Various Random Mutterings of Kite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
I knew it was an "Inver", one of many stations in Scotland with "Inver" at the start of the name. (Probably means something like "mouth of water" in Celtic)

(Yes I know it's mad pencilling in trips for next May time, but I doubt the timetable around Inverness will change that much between now and then)
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
That sounds like a good plan. At least if you're not on your own the festers wouldn't be too bad. That said for a long fester I would go for a walk and come back. If you (and I am sure you will) complete the shacks, that far north I will be very very impressed.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Aye Kite should be fine, I'm planning to travel up and join him on the adventure. Plenty of shacks up that way that I need, unsurprisingly. I believe I will get the Inverness to Wick line shacks all done on this trip, the Kyle line needs dealing with of course.
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
The photos from your Scottish trip just reminded me that the scenery in that part of the world is excellent - and the plans for some of the future trips look as though they'll help you score a shed load of shacks.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
The photos from your Scottish trip just reminded me that the scenery in that part of the world is excellent - and the plans for some of the future trips look as though they'll help you score a shed load of shacks.

Of which some might have Manea style sheds on!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
11th June – Tactics of a Diversionary means

It was a day of an easy tour, down the ECML towards Newcastle before coming down south via Sunderland, and Lincoln, covering a couple freight lines in the process. A short walk to my local station in the morning to catch the 05:27 towards Waterloo, formed this morning of 159017 for the speedy dash to Waterloo, swinging via Sainsburys outside the station for a supply raid for later in the day (as the tour is mostly continuous).

Once back at Waterloo, it was down to the Bakerloo line where 3531/3258 took me forward to Oxford Circus for the cross-platform interchange with the Victoria line, and duds 11053/11054 took me towards Highbury & Islington, where as I some time to kill had decided to bail for some 313 action to Finsbury. Sadly there wasn’t anything showing as coming up from Moorgate for a good 15 or so minutes so decided to cross back over to the Victoria line platform, just as winners 11071/11072 rolled in to take me the fast run to Finsbury Park.

A quick visit to Tesco Express to purchase a newspaper before heading to platform 7 where the tour train had been put into, slightly unusual as it normally gets put into platform 8, but I guess due to the cancellations the signallers put it into the longer (I think) platform. Winner 90019 was at the front for the run to York, with a nice speedy run ‘down’ the ECML, making use of the electric Stamford line after Peterborough, crossing back onto the ECML and onwards towards Doncaster, taking the line before the flyover to cut through the yard area for a crew change.

Once at York, it was time to say goodbye to 90019 as it was detached, before a few minutes and winner 60017 appeared to attach itself to the front of the coaches for the round trip back to York. I think it is probably the first time I’ve done the ‘slow’ lines north of York before scoring my 2nd bit of new track with the Northallerton low-level freight lines, diving underneath the ECML and onto the line towards Eaglescliffe, taking the curve towards Stockton, and after the historical town, turned left onto the freight line back towards the ECML, running up the freight line on the east hand side after Tursdale Junction towards Ferryhill junction, pausing for a few minutes for clearance to cross the Up line to reach the down line for some speed (well 60 mph) flying through Durham and coming away from the line at Tyne yard using the first reception siding to get us out of the way of a faster express train.

Back onto the main-line, and towards the King Edward Bridge, where we suddenly decided we didn’t want to go to Newcastle and turned right to do a loop around to join the Durham coast line around Gateshead area to head towards Sunderland, for a nice run down the coast, looking at all the various old sidings and dock lines in varying states of decay. Rejoining the outward route around Norton junction north of Stockton before heading back towards Northallerton, scoring the other dive-under (went underneath the main ECML twice), and back to York arriving pretty much on time.

The rumours that it was meant to be Tornado taking us back to London (A ‘60’ of sorts), however after having some fresh air and a walk around before heading back to see 60017 still attached, with staff talking with the drivers & DB, with the rumours that Tornado had failed (not like I minded as it’s a dud steam engine, as I had it a fair few years ago from Bristol to Plymouth, but before I started recording trips). 60017 remained on the front, and was going to London (first time a 60 has hauled a charter train into a London Terminal for quite some time I would reckon).

Anyhow, back on board, and turning of the ECML using the spur towards the Lincoln line (so another new bit of track around Doncaster area scored), and onwards passing Gainsborough 5 minutes early, only to be held due to signals around the Saxilby area, suddenly losing 15 or so minutes, a good non-stop run via Lincoln central lines and onto the line towards Sleaford, and I forgot how featureless the land is in this area, and how far the stations are apart. My last bit of new track was scored with the Sleaford avoider, where some very loose timings (57-odd minutes to do 17-odd miles) between Sleaford south and Spalding (I know a train north of Spalding after 4pm, what would the locals think!), so the time lost previously suddenly turned into 15 up, as we waited north of the station for the 153 to go into the siding to allow us safe passage, 10 minutes ahead of schedule, pausing for 10 minutes at the junction with the ECML to head down to Peterborough.

Which is where I bailed, as I had previously purchased (the night before) an advance ticket for the Ex-Leeds service, mainly because the tour train would take 2 hours to get back to London, and with the Virgin service I would arrive in London with time to spare for the 22:20 (compared to a 22:10 arrival of the charter, so home 80 minutes earlier). A late running service from Edinburgh was up first but thankfully that was a dud 91, so I went off in search of some dinner, coming back empty handed as there was a McDonalds a short walk away the queue was frankly massive. Plus I had some good news that a certain 458 was due from Vauxhall towards Waterloo around 22:01.

On the station and dud DVT 82219 rolled in with winner 91122 on the rear pushing the Ex-Leeds service (happy days, another 91 into the book), a nice refreshed set (lots of red), with a table seat in coach F for the short run back to London, overtaking the charter train a couple miles north of Sandy. 76-odd miles later and we rolled into Kings Cross, with a quick visit to Boots for a meal-deal before heading to the underground with time to spare as I boarded duds 11029/11030 for the run to Vauxhall, heading out to the fresh air with a good 10 minutes to spare. I was happy I did the Boots run as Sainsburys at Vauxhall looked a bit emptied, to the platform 1 & 2 island as I took a seat, relaxing keeping an eye out for movements before the 22:02 (or so) rolled in.

Winner 458501 rolled in, as I climbed on board my final 458 and hence final SWT unit for the tiny bus stop leap to Waterloo, heading over to platform 8 for the 22:20 which tonight was formed of 159009. I grabbed a table seat as the train became quite full until Woking where it emptied out (was an Alton service cut back to start from Woking?). Nice run arriving into Grateley pretty much on time, around 23:40, just as I would have been leaving Waterloo if I stayed on the charter (so I think that was £11 well spent).

Walking home, reflecting on an overall ‘lazy’ day, a good little tour with some more red lines highlighted in my Baker. Here be some pictures:

90019 at York:


Suddenly changed to 60017:


The next service to arrive at this platform failed to show up:


But thankfully 458501 stayed to diagram:


Nothing on Sunday as I needed to sleep to recharge my batteries:


Ready for this ;)
 

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
I love Scotland.
That is all I have to say on the matter ;)

As for the railtour, I passed it just North of Peterborough whilst I was heading home from Kent.
 
Last edited:

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Certainly not a railtour for me (I don't like Skodas and donuts make no noise on passenger trains) but it sounds like you had a good time! I would have hated it if Tornado appeared, it being my least favourite steam loco (probably tied with Flying moneypit)! Lucky on scoring a winner milkfloat for the run to the cross as well!

Finally; a huge congrats on clearing SWT! A mega accomplishment!
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
I would have enjoyed that tour with a bit of new track. The 60 would have annoyed me though as I had it a couple of years ago. Well done on the other winners on the day though especially clearing the SWT fleet.

Certainly not a railtour for me (I don't like Skodas and donuts make no noise on passenger trains) but it sounds like you had a good time! I would have hated it if Tornado appeared, it being my least favourite steam loco (probably tied with Flying moneypit)! Lucky on scoring a winner milkfloat for the run to the cross as well!

Finally; a huge congrats on clearing SWT! A mega accomplishment!

You don't like much do you? :lol:
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
So much I need on that little tourr, baling at PBO a wise move too even though a 91 is undesputably duller than a 60.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
So jealous of the East Midlands Rover Kite, it must be said. Very familiar with 90019, having had 762 miles off it! However, that check on it suggests I had 90018 London to Norwich, that doesn't sound right...

FQ: You've clearly not had 60034 or indeed 60038 then, fantastic machines for noise they were on passenger trains!

Another top read Kite, and my many congratulations on clearing SWT! Until the 707s start in service of course...
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Definitely a good day there and I'm a tad jealous as you've managed to rope in three curves on my requirements list! Plus two winning locos as well. But well done on getting your last SWT unit (until the 707s arrive).

That ginger puss looks rather familiar though - his/her double is sitting next to me at the moment.

Finally, will look forward with interest to hearing about your antics in the East Midlands - if you see 153310 or 153313 on your travels, please say "Hi" to them for me. Or better still, tell them not to be so shy when I'm in the West Midlands. Bet this week cannot go by quick enough!
 

alexf380

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2011
Messages
1,417
Location
Musselburgh, Scotland
A hearty congratulations indeed on clearing your SWT units, something that I doubt I'll achieve this side of 30 years old! Enjoy your East Midlands bash, should be great. :)
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
I've only had 60066 but didn't sound anything like one on a 3200 tonne tank train pulling away from a standing start with wet rails.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
So much I need on that little tourr, baling at PBO a wise move too even though a 91 is undesputably duller than a 60.

Although a 91 is a lot faster than a 60 heading towards Kings Cross, which is pretty much the only reason I decided to plan to bail. Just so happened a required 91 was pushing the service from Leeds made it sweeter.

Thanks Keith, that be my brother's lazy cat, which curves were you after on that tour?
 

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2012
Messages
2,131
Location
Rochdale
That looks to be a good day out. It's also nice when a winner turns up on a train you're getting anyway, like that 91.

I'm not sure any cat can be described as "lazy". It takes a great deal of effort to sleep fifteen hours a day, and a great deal of ingenuity to work out the most amusing places to shed hair and/or deposit dead rodents...:)
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Ah, good to know that our ginger tom cat is not the only inactive member of the species. If your brother's cat is anything like ours, about the only time he moves himself is for the occasional check on his food bowls!

The curves that I wanted off the tour were Stockton on Tees and Norton South to West. The former is easy to get as Grand Central run over it a few times each day. I also thought that I needed Northallerton Low Level but I did that on a rail tour back in the early 80s
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
Scottish trip planning across the universe... This time on the West Highland line

Code:
Head up to Glasgow on the Friday:

Saturday:

Queen Street	05:20	Garelochhead	06:14	
Garelochhead	06:45	Arrochar & Tarbet	07:09	(Sleeper)
Arrochar & Tarbet	07:10	Helensburgh Upper	07:44	
Helensburgh Central	08:26	Dumbarton Central	08:41	Walk
Dumbarton Central	08:51	Connel Ferry	11:14	
Connel Ferry	12:23	Lock Awe	12:50	
Lock Awe	13:04	Falls of Cruachan	13:09	
Falls of Cruachan	14:54	Taynuilt	15:05	
Taynuilt	16:34	Ardlui	17:42	
Ardlui	18:10	Tyndrum Lower	18:37	
Upper Tyndrum	19:14	Crianlarich	19:32	
Crianlarich	20:14	Dalmally	20:40	
Dalmally	21:20	Queen Street	23:33	
(If can't make that +1 at Arrochar & Tarbet, can bail at Helensburgh Upper for a +40 to the last service from Helensburgh Central, although I don't personally need it after scoring it on a snowy saturday morning back in January)
		
--------

Sunday - A day of rest, or unit hunting (maybe other shacks in Glasgow area?)

---------
		
Monday: 
Glasgow Queen	05:48	Tulloch	09:21	(Sleeper)
Tulloch	11:38	Corpach	12:23	
Banavie	16:25	Loch Eil Outward Bound	16:36	Walk
Loch Eil Outward Bound	17:10	Fort William	17:37	
		
------

Tuesday
		
Fort William	07:44	Corrour	08:32	
Corrour	08:59	Roy Bridge	09:31	
Spean Bridge	12:02	Rannoch	12:42	Walk
Rannoch	15:12	Locheilside	16:41	
Locheilside	17:02	Bridge of Orchy	18:58	
Bridge of Orchy	20:45	Fort William	22:06	
		
----

Wednesday:
		
Fort William 	08:30	Morar	09:46	
Morar	10:17	Glenfinnan	10:59	
Glenfinnan	12:46	Arisaig	13:19	
Beasdale	16:28	Lochailort	16:37	Walk
Lochailort	17:09	Mallaig	17:43	
Mallaig	18:15	Fort William	19:37	
Fort William	19:50	Euston	07:47	(Sleeper)

I need to really stop planning ideas for next year! The question is, have I missed any shacks?
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
A few long festers in there, equally some reasonable ones too.

Agreed that this year is still in full swing and it needs organising ;)
 

37038

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2014
Messages
701
+1 at Arrochar should be alright. Island platform and RETB token exchange takes a minute or two
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
A few long festers in there, equally some reasonable ones too.

Agreed that this year is still in full swing and it needs organising ;)

I don't know what has come over me lately as I keep on planning for the sake of planning.

Although the next one will be the Whitby line in early October plus maybe a trip up the S&C making use of that new ranger.
 

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
Kite, what can I say, its taken bloody ages to catch up, all 5 pages of them, my phone even went dead on the bus, reading one of your trips home last night. Absolutely excellent reads. Congrats on gettting the last 458.
The TPP for the far North lines, looks very promising I must admit, some of the festers less so. Having had to spend nearly an hour and a half at Bath Spa last week, was enough for me.
Shame I never saw or knew about 60017 on the tour or I'd have given you a wave as you passed. That Tour would've been a good one, I'm not oppposed to riding behind a 90 and I've yet to sample a 60 but again, I certainly would't be opposed to having, what is predominantly a freight loco for haulage either.

Top effort Kite, look forward to reading, the next ones.

PS- Did you catch up with 150120 yet?
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
Not yet with that 150, I will catch up with it eventually.

At least Bath has nearby pubs, something some of those stations in the highlands won't have
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I had the Northallerton Low Level lines and the Stillington route back in 1990 on a diverted IC125 from Birmingham to Newcastle.

Regarding your plans for the West Highlands (I've not had chance to look at it in great depth I must admit), be aware that if you are using buses to get between the stations on the section from Dalmally - Oban, some journeys that link up reasonably well with the trains only run on schooldays. I've also been working on a draft plan for Dalmally - Oban, plus Bridge of Orchy and the 2 Tyndrum stations so as to clear the stations in the high PA and FK postcode areas.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
I had the Northallerton Low Level lines and the Stillington route back in 1990 on a diverted IC125 from Birmingham to Newcastle.

Regarding your plans for the West Highlands (I've not had chance to look at it in great depth I must admit), be aware that if you are using buses to get between the stations on the section from Dalmally - Oban, some journeys that link up reasonably well with the trains only run on schooldays. I've also been working on a draft plan for Dalmally - Oban, plus Bridge of Orchy and the 2 Tyndrum stations so as to clear the stations in the high PA and FK postcode areas.

No buses involved in the west highlands plan, just some long festers and some walks.

One probably best to do with someone else to share the cost of accommodation within Fort William (looks to have both a premier inn, Travelodge and other guest houses).

Does it keep the same service frequency all year round (bar sundays & Falls of Cruachan)
 
Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Many of the trains are all year round but with variations in the number of coaches, noteably the lunchtime Glasgow to Mallaig which dumps 2 coaches at FT most of the year but in the summer takes all 4 all the way.


We seam to love cats in this c area of the forum, both the animal and loco veriety. Kites now posting pics, Keith clearly loves his and mine gets regular mentions as hes just great anyway and also when Techniquest stays with us here our little mog goes crazy over him and then gets hugely upset when he goes away again
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
16th June – A short trip to London

Well short as it wasn’t going to be a solely bashing day as I had a musical event at Wembley Stadium in the evening, so after asking for location of my current “top 5 London wants” to discover that 4 of the 5 were gettable, I formed a rough plan. The show was meant to finish at 22:30, and I was 90% confidence in making it back to Waterloo in time for the 23:40 service to Salisbury, but that 10% kept on nagging me so in the end I drove to Basingstoke (with the theory that if I should miss the 23:40, I had a couple other services to fall back on.

With half of Basingstoke car-park closed off, I didn’t fancy chancing finding a spot, so I dumped my car in a council car-park off Churchill Way West, anyhow I made it for my chosen service, the 13:57 to Waterloo, formed this afternoon of 159021 getting another 47 and ¾ miles under its wheels, with an on-time arrival into Waterloo, I had a short walk over to Waterloo East, but the 4 options I highlighted were all dud so I exited Waterloo East by stage door Southwark and went down to the LU station, which was quite toasty (I must say I didn’t notice the temporary coloured roundels). Duds 96073 & 96012 took me to London Bridge, where a short walk later to the Northern line platforms and my first winner of the afternoon rolled in, in the shape of 51679/51680 to take me 2 stops to Moorgate.

First couple eastbound services were dud, but the 3rd was required 21533/21534, so another S7 into my book, all be it on a very un-Keith like 25 chain bus stop leap to Liverpool Street, where I had 15 or so minutes to kill before the next Hertford East service so a quick visit to Tesco to source a meal-deal for later before heading back down the stairs for the Hertford East service. Dud 317662 was at the rear and winner 317666 was at the front, so taking a seat in the 1st class section for the nice run to Brimsdown (taking it over the 10 mile mark), and with a +3 under the subway to the other platform to intercept the next Liverpool Street service, with 317884 leading dud 317649 to take me back to Liverpool Street, again sitting in 1st class on my final 317/8 unit.

As my last 317/6 was at the time heading to Witham, I decided that would remain for another day, as I headed to the Sub surface line platform, a dud H&C service was up first followed by winning S8 21045/21046 which I took to Baker Street, the train getting busier and busier with every stop. Anyhow, minding the gap with the funky blue lights at Baker Street, it was down to the Bakerloo line, with a rough guess that I could spend 10 minutes here in search of a winner. That 10 minutes wasn’t needed as winner 3555 rolled in just as I arrived, and so I just jumped on for the 25 chain leap to Marylebone to discover it was a double win with 3260 at the rear. 7 more 72 stocks left to locate, as I headed up to Marylebone to grab the 17:12(ish) to Aylesbury.

Thankfully this is a service via Amersham which calls within the zones, as there is some peak-time extras which run fast to the likes of Great Missenden, after hearing the sound of 68014 arriving with the Banbury Commuter set and 68009 purring away on platform 6, the platform finally came up, and it would have been a long walk to platform 5 but I was already around the area as I took a seat in the leading coach of 165032 leading super-dud 165019 for the short run to Harrow on the Hill.

A 10 minute wait at the London Underground station before duds 165015/165025 rolled in to take me back to Marylebone, however it was a few minutes late and so felt like it missed its path at the junction and arrived into Marylebone 6 or so minutes late, bang went my +5 to a West Ruislip caller, and a fast walk over to platform 1, a pair of 172s was on the platform, but were locked up, the unit hadn’t rolled in yet, eventually dud 168324 rolled up and departed 8 or so minutes late. To South Ruislip where I walked over to the Central Line platforms for a couple minute walk before winners 91285/92130/92442 rolled in with dud 91165 on the rear to take me the near 2 mile spin to West Ruislip. Sadly I couldn’t make it up and down the stairs in time as the doors on 165013 (I think) slammed closed as I came down, so it was back to 91165/92442/92130/91285 to take me back to South Ruislip, heading to the Chiltern platform for a short wait.

Dud 165028 rolled in with winner (and final 165) 165009 on the rear, a short trip to Wembley Stadium station later and it was in the bag, a short wait underneath the “White Horse” bridge for a storm to clear before walking to the stadium for the show, which I enjoyed.

After the show finished around 22:27, I shifted out of the stadium with my original idea being Wembley Central, but the sky didn’t look that kind, but I managed to beat most of the crowd to the stadium station, so around the queuing system in queue “A” for Marylebone (with someone on the PA saying “trains takes 10 minutes departing every 10 minutes so no need to rush”), bit of a hold-up around the Oyster readers, but it was down the stairs (slowly as they were wet) to board 165039 working the first Wembley shuttle service. On the way down to Marylebone, I checked RTT which highlighted a large gap between fast Basingstoke bound departures from Waterloo, however there was a 23:05 which looked doable.

A fast walk to the underground to jump on the first service heading south, duds 3247/3538, rolling into Waterloo just before 23:00, so enough time to swing via WH Smiths to grab a meal-deal on the busy station, before jumping onto 444032 on the 23:05 to Southampton, which was quite busy but I got a table seat under the pan well, to relax for the trip back to Basingstoke. A nifty drive back via the back-way and I got home a good 15 minutes before the 23:40 arrived.

A few new LU stock into my book, but 2 more 317s and my last 2 165s into the book, I think I will put my last 4, 376s up next, which should be easier to grab than those 165s (afterall, they don’t run fast outside the zones, and are gettable on bus stop leaps). Anyhow, my bag is packed, my bike is ready downstairs, I’m a bit nervous in case the weather turns out to be rubbish like this week, but East Midlands here I come
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top