• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The different internal state of 158s

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
One trick to watch out for, any 158 cars that have only been refreshed since leaving ATN's original Transpennine Express fleet will have comfier seats (original seats with extra padding). This includes the centre cars with Northern. Ex-CT units should be avoided where possible, it was a 2hr nightmare when they turned up on the Cambrian prior to ATW's excellent refurbishment. Though back then, the former 'Alphaline' units weren't much better!

I've noticed differences in seat comfort on NT's 158's. Perhaps this explains why.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,889
Location
East Anglia
I use EMTs frequently from Norwich & it's so hard to believe they are the same units used by Central Trains. The fact they only ever renewed the runner carpet said it all as the trains where dreadful under & beside seats. The up keep is also in stark contrast as cleanliness & General condition are mostly of a high standard.
 

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,569
You've got that the wrong way round: The centre cars in the 3-car units are ex-Transpennine Express (the only operation that had 3-car 158s). The majority of Northern's 2-car 158s are ex-Central Trains units, which were in an absolutely woeful condition when they were transferred to Northern in the first place.

Although jcollins is right when he says the ex FNW 158s are the ones which gained the centre cars.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I seem to remember that some EMT 158s had signs in them for a while apologising for the condition of the toilets, saying that units were recently received from another TOC with lower standards (to paraphrase)

That was the 4 former ATN 156s gained from Northern and referred to the whole unit not just the toilets!
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,495
Location
Yorkshire
I was watching our friend Michael on "catch-up" last night, sat on an EMT 158, and from what I saw internally, it could have passed for a new train.

Contrast that to the dark and gloomy NT 158 I'm on now....

.... I'm sorry but there's no excuse for it.
That's odd because in another thread you gave an excuse for it
...Maybe there's a reason we get shabby trains up here. Would new trains be looked after? I doubt it.
Didn't take you long to change your mind! :lol:
 

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Joined
13 Feb 2011
Messages
3,275
That's odd because in another thread you gave an excuse for it

Didn't take you long to change your mind! :lol:

There's a solution to this. Make every train anti-pacer has to get on, a bouncy Leyland based 14x ;)
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
There's a solution to this. Make every train anti-pacer has to get on, a bouncy Leyland based 14x ;)

I was speaking about many (not all) of my fellow passengers not treating the trains they travel on with respect.

Yes, I would like new trains, but when I see the amount of crap left on them by other people, I suggested that maybe new trains would be wasted on these uncouth people. It was a tongue in cheek comment!

Enlighten me, why would you like to make every train I travel on a 14x? Come on, I'm all ears?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That's odd because in another thread you gave an excuse for it

Didn't take you long to change your mind! :lol:

As above, it was a tongue in cheek comment. I still think we need new trains, I just question how some of Northern's delightful passengers would look after them.
 
Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,927
There's 2 kinds of ex CT shed - the ones CT kept for the duration which weren't that bad inside and the truly dreadful ones that went to Wales and Borders, stayed green and in some cases ended back with Central at the end of the franchise - they had no care for a long time and were disgusting.
 

45022

Member
Joined
28 Dec 2014
Messages
56
Location
Forest of Dean
After having just finished a Severn & Solent Ranger, my view is as follows:

1st - SWT 158/159 - clean bright interior
2nd - ATW 158 - comfortable, but 820 was certainly in need of a deep clean
3rd - FGW 158 - Dull inside and removal of tables makes them feel less airy
 

Scotrail84

On Moderation
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
2,977
Last summer I sat in the first class bit upon leaving wick but soon realised that with the curtains you could hardly see anything and so moved back into the proper part of the train.

I think one reason they have first class is that they travel to Edinburgh/Glasgow

They operate on routes with first class all the time.
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,537
My views:

ATW 158s - Really good refit. I remember what they were like before and as I used to study in Aberystwyth, I did use the Cambrian line a few times a year. The addition of PIS was a good choice, though they often get confused when services from/to Aberystwyth and Pwllheli join/split at Machynlleth. But on the whole, light and a pleasure to travel on.

SWT 158s - You can tell these are well looked after, and the seating is in great condition.

FGW 158s - They are worked very hard. The carpets are in need of replacing sooner rather than later and the new bases on the Richmond seating do seem to be having problems and become detached from the frame. I think improved lighting is needed as well, but as others have said I can't see any more work being done, at least until if FGW get awarded a longer term franchise. They do need some work, but they are still okay to travel on.

I have never used East Midland Trains, Northern Rail or ScotRail's 158s.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top