• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spelling and grammar on this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,123
Location
Redcar
...their point completely....NOT there point completely.

This is my personally bugbear when it comes to grammar. Now I will admit my personal grammar usage is perhaps 'functional' at best, but there, their and they're when they're misused really get on my nerves (how many times can I get a form of there in a sentence :lol:).

On the whole the grammar on this forum is pretty good, indeed it's really quite jarring when we do get the odd post by someone that doesn't even attempt to spell check/use normal grammar. Plenty of other sites on the web don't have the level that this site manages and it's definitely something to be proud of.
 

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2009
Messages
1,660
Location
Greater London
...their point completely....NOT there point completely.:oops:

Blessed are the spellcheckers, for they shall be grammatical.:D

Tut tut small error.

Not thats its an excuse but, when your busy (like I am at the moment) I spell the first thing that comes into my head! :)

Shot my self in the foot *their* *there* *they're*....! :p
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Tut tut small error.

Not thats its an excuse but, when your busy (like I am at the moment) I spell the first thing that comes into my head! :)

Shot my self in the foot *their*! :p

You're :p (and there shouldn't be a comma after but). Punctuation tends to break up a sentence making it sound slower. If you want to imply speed then use a lot of short sentences separated by full stops.

One of the main problems I have with grammar is how to end a sentence with brackets in (this one for example).
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
I have to admit it is fun speaking like officer Crabtree in Allo Allo.

"Good moaning, I am afrood I have bad nose. The RAF bummers hit the pimping station"
(Good morning, I am afraid I have bad news. The RAF bombers hit the pumping station)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
(Easy.)

(Just bracket everything.)

(Problem solved.)

So the full stop goes inside the bracket?
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
I always thought that the full stop came after the bracket, as the bracketed portion of the sentence is still a sub clause of it.

That was my original opinion although in retrospect I think HST Power was posting in jest
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,461
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Not thats its an excuse but, when your busy ....

You have another one here!!

When your busy would refer to a "busy" that you possess.

When you're busy....the word "you're" is an abbreviated form of "you are".

Just be careful when making your apologies....always use the CORRECT words then. Then any "old fogey" with nothing better to do will not annoy you.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Full stops always appear after the close bracket in standard sentences. However, sometimes whole setnences need to be bracketed - this is when the full stop falls inside the brackets.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,850
Location
Epsom
I have to admit it is fun speaking like officer Crabtree in Allo Allo.

"Good moaning, I am afrood I have bad nose. The RAF bummers hit the pimping station"
(Good morning, I am afraid I have bad news. The RAF bombers hit the pumping station)

The brilliant thing about that character was that how he spoke was not how an Englishman says French badly, but how a Frenchman says English badly, and I have experienced this very thing first hand!

A number of years ago I would stay in a small hotel in Paris and the then owner - who retired and sold up about 15 years ago - was a very nice man, but one had to be very disciplined not to laugh when, every morning at breakfast, without fail, he would greet me with "Good moaning!":lol::roll:

I am sure I am not going to be the only one on here that this has happened to?
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
Also sometimes people post using their phone, I do sometimes and can't spell check that way and even using my Android I sometimes hit the wrong letter.

My spelling is terrible in any case so I usually cut and paste into MS Word and back again.
 

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
23 Mar 2011
Messages
2,631
I meant using the phrase 'well pleased.' For example, 'I was well pleased that Arsenal won the match.'

Goodness, I've no idea why anyone would say that! :D
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,461
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
I meant using the phrase 'well pleased.' For example, 'I was well pleased that Arsenal won the match.'

But then you would be referring to the Arsenal team who play against Newells Old Boys in a certain South American country, because one of those Arsenal players has the Christian name Jesus....Jesus Galliada (full back).

Did you notice that the FULL STOP was put OUTSIDE the bracket of the word in the last sentence:D
 

LE Greys

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
5,389
Location
Hitchin
But then you would be referring to the Arsenal team who play against Newells Old Boys in a certain South American country, because one of those Arsenal players has the Christian name Jesus....Jesus Galliada (full back).

Did you notice that the FULL STOP was put OUTSIDE the bracket of the word in the last sentence:D

That depends on whether the text inside the brackets is a comment (something like this), or a full sentence. (This is a full sentence.)
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,461
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
That depends on whether the text inside the brackets is a comment (something like this), or a full sentence. (This is a full sentence.)

You will find the words inside my brackets were a definative clarification, as they referred to the position occupied by the named player within the organisational structure of the football team.

As such, they are to be regarded as a sub-clause of the original sentence.
 

2Dogbox

Member
Joined
22 Mar 2011
Messages
174
Location
Lincoln
I am not bothered about spelling mistakes on railforums too much. As I am not exactly the best typist in the world! But, If I am looking at buying something off Ebay and the listing contains loads of spelling mistakes and dreadful grammar it completely puts me off and I wouldn't buy from them! Always makes me think the item is dodgy!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top