Xenophon PCDGS
Veteran Member
It is not just general grammatical spelling mistakes that bother me. There are also instancies of not having the correct spelling for the names for towns and cities.
It's also important to avoid cliches like the plague.
I fink dat da spellin on dis forum is awl rite, innit?
But then you would be referring to the Arsenal team who play against Newells Old Boys in a certain South American country, because one of those Arsenal players has the Christian name Jesus....Jesus Galliada (full back).
Did you notice that the FULL STOP was put OUTSIDE the bracket of the word in the last sentence![]()
Seriously though, this forum is really a credit to the majority of it's members...
the majority of IT IS members? :cry:
Couldn't resist. The its/it's thing is an epidemic. People seem to love the apostrophe for some reason.
It's a lost cause. The only thing I have to say about spelling/grammar is that while most people consider it unimportant, those who do have the knowledge may judge others for their mistakes or apparent lack of knowledge.
Blessed are the wordmakers, for their knowledge will be encyclopedic in verbosity.
Of course is also the issue of where you draw the line, especially regarding acronyms. For example TVM (Ticket Vending Machine?) is ok but is FWIW (For what it's worth) and the old favourite RAS (Redundant Acronym Syndrome) syndrome
So, is this going to turn into the most grammatically correct thread on the forum?
Ah, one of the lecturers at my uni would have your head off for RAS Syndrome! Just like people who say PIN Number (Personal Identification Number Number) or that something is quite unique (it's either unique or it isn't)
For any fellow geeks, Windows XP is built on NT Technology, right? Wrong! You are saying Windows XP is built on New Technology Technology!
Oh how we love this English language!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally, I am a bit of a stickler for spelling and grammar myself, but if I have typed quick I do make the odd miistakes as well (as I am doing even now!!!).
For any fellow geeks, Windows XP is built on NT Technology, right? Wrong! You are saying Windows XP is built on New Technology Technology!
Real geeks use GNU/Linux![]()
You wrote "instead of" when you should of written "instead have"... :roll:
![]()
Real geeks use GNU/Linux![]()
And the NT actually stood for N-10, the codename for the intel processor. After NT was used, Bill Gates then said it could also be New Technology.
- either way the point still stands, maybe just not about NT heheAh, one of the lecturers at my uni would have your head off for RAS Syndrome! Just like people who say PIN Number (Personal Identification Number Number)
Sports SUV anyone?
...... and name and shame.
As I am writing this, there is an advertisment at the head of the screen:-Grammarly...Instant Grammar Checker ... Is this a premonition?
The sites that serve the adverts are quite cunning, in that they can tailor them to the page you're looking at. If you were to start looking at, say, one of the threads about T-keys, then it wouldn't surprise me if you saw adverts for locksmiths, or other key-related things.
When I first joined the forum, I expected the use of these acronyms within the terminology used by the rail industry....but not by members of the forum as part of normal grammatical useage.....FYA, AFAIK, etc.