• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Eastern High Speed and London Terminals Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Joined
26 Sep 2016
Messages
1,605
Location
Kent
Would you like to expand on that? There's more than one "direction" involved in this scenario, so I don't know what you're saying here.
Because with a “plus high speed” ticket and travelling on HS1, you approach Farringdon from the North passing through St Pancras - as you would from St Albans. These fares have the same validity through the core to Farrindon as those with a destination of London Thameslink.

On a “not valid on HS1” you approach Farringdon from the South passing through London Bridge.

The above ticket valid on HS1 also permits you to reach Farringdon from the South. However, the other is only valid as far as City Thameslink. Stations in Hertfordshire are a different kettle of fish. This is what is meant by a different direction. Programming validity coming one way but not the other, except in special circumstances is very tricky!
 
Last edited:

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2014
Messages
6,291
Location
Wallsend or somewhere on the ECML
Would you like to expand on that? There's more than one "direction" involved in this scenario, so I don't know what you're saying here.
Because you're coming from the North you've already passed through the valid London Termonals, without making every London Terminals ticket valid for this easement it's impossible. Unless of course SE use a London Thameslink destination which may have it's own problems.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,844
What makes it difficult? There are already "not HS1" tickets between Farringdon and Sittingbourne, so what would stop Southeastern from creating "Plus High Speed" ones?
Tickets issued specifically to/from Farringdon have nothing to do with the difficulties of London Terminals tickets not being valid at stations on the ‘wrong’ side of Farringdon.
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
Because you're coming from the North you've already passed through the valid London Termonals, without making every London Terminals ticket valid for this easement it's impossible. Unless of course SE use a London Thameslink destination which may have it's own problems.
GTR started offering London Thameslink tickets a couple of years back from most Southern stations. Southeastern didn't I understand because when Crossrail opens it will become the shortest route to Farringdon from a lot of North Kent and hence cause even further complications.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,844
GTR started offering London Thameslink tickets a couple of years back from most Southern stations. Southeastern didn't I understand because when Crossrail opens it will become the shortest route to Farringdon from a lot of North Kent and hence cause even further complications.
Offering a London Thameslink destination would reduce the London Terminals availability, taking Cannon Street, Charing Cross, Waterloo and Victoria out of the equation, which might seem a bit extreme just to allow booking engines to offer itineraries to Farringdon.
 

FlippyFF

Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
240
Location
Ashford, Kent
Last weekend I had to work in London, being devoid of a season ticket, I bought two Ashford Int. <> London Terminal via HS1 returns on my 'Key' and used contactless bank card on the Circle line between St P. and Moorgate. Returning on Sunday evening I forgot myself and swiped my Key at Moorgate and to my amazement it let me in and out again at St P.!

In regards to London Terminals for Thameslink, my understanding was it is valid to Farringdon from the north and to City Thameslink from the south. If it is officially available from the north to City Thameslink I've wasted a fortune over the years (I have the kind of luck that says I would have been caught if it weren't valid but I had been doing it).

Simon
 

miklcct

Established Member
Joined
2 May 2021
Messages
5,017
Location
Cricklewood
If it is officially available from the north to City Thameslink I've wasted a fortune over the years (I have the kind of luck that says I would have been caught if it weren't valid but I had been doing it).

Simon
It's officially stated, on National Rail Enquiries, that a "London Terminals" ticket routed "Plus High Speed" is valid for use on the Thameslink to connect to the southern terminals from St Prancas.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,844
In regards to London Terminals for Thameslink, my understanding was it is valid to Farringdon from the north and to City Thameslink from the south.
Other than for tickets routed Plus High Speed, Farringdon is not a London Terminals station from either direction.
 

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Joined
26 Sep 2016
Messages
1,605
Location
Kent
For several years. Can’t be any longer than 12 years though as domestic HS services only started in 2009.
That is an interesting points. Does anyone who was an adult at the time remember what the rules were on travelling to Faringdon back in the day?

I was only young but don’t remember seeing any First Capital Connect posters
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,844
That is an interesting points. Does anyone who was an adult at the time remember what the rules were on travelling to Faringdon back in the day?

I was only young but don’t remember seeing any First Capital Connect posters
Before the London Thameslink fare group you needed a ticket to Zone U1 or a Travelcard to travel to Farringdon from the MML stations.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top