• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shrewsbury To Aberwystwyth/Porthmadog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
4,868
The buses on the Wrexham/Barmouth run are now in their 5th year,the Wrexham/Chester Rail Station buses are in their 2nd year of service.

Suppose compared to the trains they are new.

Yeah, they are new-ish, and the X50s I mentioned are 55 plate (2005). It's just that to me, Optare Tempos and 158s look modern (unless they get really dirty), while 150s and 153s look very slightly dated and these things (Warning: huge image) look ancient, I didn't realise they had 05 plates! From the looks of it they are the same as the X32 ones, which are really cramped if you're tall (as are most buses, except the 2 X50s I mentioned).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,894
Location
South Wales
I have noticed how cramped the seats are on buses with the Wright crusader body. Mind you they have got better legroom than alexander alx200 bodied dennis darts
 

BrummyBoy

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2010
Messages
181
Location
Erdington, Birmingham
Have been Barmouth once and Aberyswyth one, very pretty lines (although barmouth does appear to be prettier). The split is indeed well informed by the train crew (although when visiting barmouth the train was 2 carriges instead of four at Mach and we were told to get off as the Barmouth train was starting from Mach). Time keeping can vary, to barmouth and back was excellent time keeping, return from Aber was 30mins late and terminated in Wolverhampton.
 

rich.davies

Member
Joined
18 Apr 2011
Messages
169
Location
Wrexham
Well i went on my train journey today.

Bought myself a Blaenau Ffestiniog Round Robin Ticket (Which i had to buy at Shrewsbury due to it only being valid after 9.15am). It cost £27 including a one way trip on the Porthmadog - Blaenau Ffestiniog line. Good value i think.

Left Shrewsbury on a refurbished ATW Class 158, which i was very pleased with, seats were a lot more comfortable and had that new smell about it, unlike the normal 158s which tend to stink of disinfectant etc.

It wasn't a 4 car train though. Had to change at Machynlleth and wait for another 158 to come from the nearby depot. The scenery on the way to Barmouth was amazing, shame i was sat on the wrong side to take pics, nether the less still enjoyable.

I did notice that the line side signs were different to other ones, is that something to do with the ERTMS, thats being installed?

A worthy 9hr train ride, plus the weather made it even better!
 
Last edited:

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
Well i went on my train journey today.

Bought myself a Blaenau Ffestiniog Round Robin Ticket (Which i had to buy at Shrewsbury due to it only being valid after 9.15am). It cost £27 including a one way trip on the Porthmadog - Blaenau Ffestiniog line. Good value i think.

Left Shrewsbury on a refurbished ATW Class 158, which i was very pleased with, seats were a lot more comfortable and had that new smell about it, unlike the normal 158s which tend to stink of disinfectant etc.

It wasn't a 4 car train though. Had to change at Machynlleth and wait for another 158 to come from the nearby depot. The scenery on the way to Barmouth was amazing, shame i was sat on the wrong side to take pics, nether the less still enjoyable.

I did notice that the line side signs were different to other ones, is that something to do with the ERTMS, thats being installed?

A worthy 9hr train ride, plus the weather made it even better!

Agreed, I bashed the Cambrian Coast line last month and I really enjoyed it!

I traveled on the 0824 departure from Birmingham NS, bailing at Machnylleth. I noticed that the train was 95% full from Birmingham NS onwards since the train was only two cars long. (Ideally all Aberystwyth to Birmingham International services should be four cars long). I'd recommend Machnylleth station to anyone since there's a cafe there and a waiting room, and the station is well kept. I then caught the 1100 service from Machnylleth to Pwhelli. I noticed that compared to the Aberystwyth - Birmingham Int. service which is more of an intercity journey the Cambrian Coast line retains the feel of a community railway: the train stopped every five minutes at little request stops and the guard chatted to the regulars.

I returned on the same train from Pwhelli since I didn't fancy being stuck for two hours there - the only attraction there seemed to be a second hand bookshop. I bailed at Porthmadog since I wanted to see the Welsh Highland Railway & Ffestiniog Railway stations there, so I walked to the WHR (Porthmadog) station and asked the gent in the ticket office what there was to see and do in Porthmadog. He stated that an FR service would cross the Cambrian line in 15 minutes so I waited around and saw that. After buying some overpriced fish and chips in the town centre I walked to the Ffestiniog Railway station and looked around; unfortunately I didn't see any services arrive or depart. Incidentally, there's a 2nd hand record shop called Cob Records across the road from the station where I bought a copy of '..And Justice for All' by Metallica for the reasonable price of £6.25.

Anyhow, I walked back to the NR station and caught the 1558 departure to Machnylleth. However, the guard said that the train was running straight through to Birmingham Int. I then expected that the 1758 from Aberystwyth would join our train at Machnylleth: however this didn't happen. Anyway, the train arrived on time at Birmingham NS.
 

TheBigD

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2008
Messages
2,043
Sorry to go a little off topic but does anyone know when the proposed hourly service on the Cambrian will actually start?
 

headshot119

Established Member
Joined
31 Dec 2010
Messages
2,051
Location
Dubai
Breaks my heart to say it, but the WAG subsidised fast bus service Wrexham to Barmouth run by Arriva using the new WAG paid for buses is probably the best option if you want to get a seat.

This service replaced the Ruabon/Barmouth rail route, takes about 2.5 hours
http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/serviceInformation.aspx?id=2501

Its ironic WAG have provided lots of new buses in the area, the service above & the every 12 minutes service Wrexham to Chester Rail Station,

Funny that I can remember the Number 1 bus (Wrexham - Chester) being a ten minute headway until a year or so ago. I wouldn't call it a good thing dropping to a 12 minute headway, as they never leave on time from Wrexham.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
The Cambrian Line does have a reputation of being late, dates right back to Wales and West...

Believe me, it goes back further than that!!

I remember in 1967 catching a train from Yorkshire for an interview at Lampeter University.

The "Cambrian Coast Express" was about 60 minutes late at Shrewsbury and I missed my last bus to Lampeter. Fortunately, I, along with two other passengers, was rescued by a kind porter, who took us in his own car to Lampeter. He said it was a regular occurrence, although I doubt BR reimbursed him!

I arrived about 2130 instead of 1800, missed dinner, slept fitfully and interviewed badly at 0930 the following morning.

Needless to say, I was not offered a place! :)
 
Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
4,868
Sorry to go a little off topic but does anyone know when the proposed hourly service on the Cambrian will actually start?
I would like to know this too. The National Transport Plan said "by 2011", they've failed. I guess the ERTMS delay mean't the Welshpool loop was delayed and there don't appear to be enough 158s in Wales to run the current service properly (I agree with Drsatan that they should all be 4-car, not all the way to Aberystwyth but all the way between Birmingham and Mach were they should all split/join for Aberystwyth and the Cambrian coast). Get that sorted and then stick a train in the other hour between Aberystwyth and Shrewsbury/Birmingham (2-car joining to the Holyhead service between Shrewsbury and Birmingham to lengthen the train if that would work and there's enough stock to get to Birmingham).
 

seagull

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
619
Sorry to go a little off topic but does anyone know when the proposed hourly service on the Cambrian will actually start?

Given the length of time staff training takes, and that recruitment hasn't even started, I think it's safe to say it won't be happening until at least May 2012, if then. Partly because someone needs to make the decision that ERTMS is capable of it, and only after that decison's been made can the timetable alterations be worked on. It all takes much time.
 

knight2004

Member
Joined
31 Jul 2009
Messages
101
I remember my first tiem on part of this line. It was the 12 40 ish i think to aberywstwyth was apparently always an hour late and so it was for us too i had awful time keeping i thik it left shrewsbury 45 mins late so we lost almost an hour when we went on thr steam railway and had less time to look around as w eneeded to be in borth too! still it was a great holiday wales range rover 1 week north and mid wales
 

merlodlliw

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
5,852
Location
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Funny that I can remember the Number 1 bus (Wrexham - Chester) being a ten minute headway until a year or so ago. I wouldn't call it a good thing dropping to a 12 minute headway, as they never leave on time from Wrexham.

But did the Number One go to Chester railway station?

Bob
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry to go a little off topic but does anyone know when the proposed hourly service on the Cambrian will actually start?

Even WAG which will have to pay for it have no idea, I dont see a new Minister making any decision this year, & no elections for another 4 to 5 years, we may have promises thats all.
ATW have said they will run it, but as usual will not pay anything towards it. The Ex Minister Ieuan Jones seized on the delay of ERTMS as the perfect excuse to do nothing.



Bob
 
Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Joined
15 Apr 2008
Messages
19,747
Given the length of time staff training takes, and that recruitment hasn't even started, I think it's safe to say it won't be happening until at least May 2012, if then. Partly because someone needs to make the decision that ERTMS is capable of it, and only after that decison's been made can the timetable alterations be worked on. It all takes much time.

May 2012 isnt a timetable change next year, Dec 11 then thats your lot until Dec 12. Nothing to stop ATW chucking in extra services on a spot bid whenever they want but nothing will happen until ERTMS is settled and I can't see that being for a while yet. It is capable of running an hourly on paper and a draft timetable has proved that already, people are twitchy over the performance of it all though as PPM is king...
 

1V53

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2011
Messages
368
Even WAG which will have to pay for it have no idea, I dont see a new Minister making any decision this year, & no elections for another 4 to 5 years, we may have promises thats all.
ATW have said they will run it, but as usual will not pay anything towards it. The Ex Minister Ieuan Jones seized on the delay of ERTMS as the perfect excuse to do nothing.



Bob

Why should ATW increase frequencies, refurb trains etc when it is not in their franchise agreement and the business case is marginal or non existent?

Forgive me if I am wrong but I do sense a critical undertone to your posts Bob on several threads.

In an ideal world ATW would have a much better quality and quantity of rolling stock and a much more aggressive business plan. However, the world ATW operates in has been tightly dictated by the terms of the franchise it operates.
 

merlodlliw

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
5,852
Location
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Why should ATW increase frequencies, refurb trains etc when it is not in their franchise agreement and the business case is marginal or non existent?

Forgive me if I am wrong but I do sense a critical undertone to your posts Bob on several threads.

In an ideal world ATW would have a much better quality and quantity of rolling stock and a much more aggressive business plan. However, the world ATW operates in has been tightly dictated by the terms of the franchise it operates.

Of course you are correct, ATW have a no growth franchise,which simply means they can tick all the boxes, having spent nothing whatsoever out of its
own profits & why should they,except having a 15 year franchise, I would at least expect them to have some social thinking, to assist it get the next franchise.
As for the business case for the Cambrian experts like Gareth Marston will know far more than me.
Indeed I do have a critical undertone of both ATW & Politicians, having spent hours listening to them at meetings & throwing questions to them.The business case for some of the WAG expresses is questionable & I can not think of any business that as been brought into Anglesey due to WAGAIR.
Anyhow we all know if pressure is not brought to bare on Ministers,nothing will happen. Northing stops ATW adding an extra service on the Cambrian,when they were quick enough to want to go to London,but thats another story.

Bob
 

1V53

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2011
Messages
368
But the Welsh Assembly wanted the London service and no doubt were offering some support?

The WAG express only runs because millions is poured into it by the WAG. Whether it is worthwhile or relevant is irrelevant. If WAG paid ATW to run a half hourly service on the HOW and paid for the infrastructure changes, I'm sure ATW would oblige!

I can understand your frustrations well, but complaining because the beast is a beast is not going to change the fact it is what was asked for and selected: a beast!
 

merlodlliw

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
5,852
Location
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
But the Welsh Assembly wanted the London service and no doubt were offering some support?

The WAG express only runs because millions is poured into it by the WAG. Whether it is worthwhile or relevant is irrelevant. If WAG paid ATW to run a half hourly service on the HOW and paid for the infrastructure changes, I'm sure ATW would oblige!

I can understand your frustrations well, but complaining because the beast is a beast is not going to change the fact it is what was asked for and selected: a beast!

WAG did not want the London open access, it was ATW, WAG welcomed the extra service between Shrewsbury & Aberystwyth, thats all, but later told
after reference, that its franchise stock could not be used for open access, in any case ATW could not make the business case, which in effect was just a spoiler against W/S. Old history now.WAG wrote a general support letter to the ORR(seen on RF),I received a response from the Minister via my A.M.(also seen on RF) in which Ieuan Jones was furious with ATW for fudging their business plan with unrealistic figures.

Of course if WAG paid ATW to run a half hourly on the Cambrian they would, its not frustration, more annoyance by me.

see you

Bob
 
Last edited:

1V53

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2011
Messages
368
Yes I did hear that ATW had egg on their faces after egging the figures.
 

Railjet

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2009
Messages
408
Agreed, I bashed the Cambrian Coast line last month and I really enjoyed it!

I traveled on the 0824 departure from Birmingham NS, bailing at Machnylleth. I noticed that the train was 95% full from Birmingham NS onwards since the train was only two cars long. (Ideally all Aberystwyth to Birmingham International services should be four cars long). I'd recommend Machnylleth station to anyone since there's a cafe there and a waiting room, and the station is well kept. I then caught the 1100 service from Machnylleth to Pwhelli. I noticed that compared to the Aberystwyth - Birmingham Int. service which is more of an intercity journey the Cambrian Coast line retains the feel of a community railway: the train stopped every five minutes at little request stops and the guard chatted to the regulars.

I returned on the same train from Pwhelli since I didn't fancy being stuck for two hours there - the only attraction there seemed to be a second hand bookshop. I bailed at Porthmadog since I wanted to see the Welsh Highland Railway & Ffestiniog Railway stations there, so I walked to the WHR (Porthmadog) station and asked the gent in the ticket office what there was to see and do in Porthmadog. He stated that an FR service would cross the Cambrian line in 15 minutes so I waited around and saw that. After buying some overpriced fish and chips in the town centre I walked to the Ffestiniog Railway station and looked around; unfortunately I didn't see any services arrive or depart. Incidentally, there's a 2nd hand record shop called Cob Records across the road from the station where I bought a copy of '..And Justice for All' by Metallica for the reasonable price of £6.25.

Anyhow, I walked back to the NR station and caught the 1558 departure to Machnylleth. However, the guard said that the train was running straight through to Birmingham Int. I then expected that the 1758 from Aberystwyth would join our train at Machnylleth: however this didn't happen. Anyway, the train arrived on time at Birmingham NS.

Great little trip report! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top