• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail unit 156478's return to service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
I certainly look forward to a ride sometime. My memory is letting me down here, has it had all the 2020 stuff done?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotraildriver

Established Member
Joined
15 Jun 2009
Messages
1,846
They are fuel burning heaters for passenger comfort. They heat the coolant to warm the saloon when the engine is cold or even turned off.
 

380101

Member
Joined
18 Feb 2015
Messages
1,141
I certainly look forward to a ride sometime. My memory is letting me down here, has it had all the 2020 stuff done?

Yes. all 2020 compliant stuff done. Just not getting the new seats the rest of the 156 fleet are being fitted with. Original style with new Saltire covers.
 

rossco156433

Member
Joined
19 Jun 2008
Messages
36
Location
Kilmarnock
156478 was collected from brodies this afternoon by ROG under its own power but assisted by 156462.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
 

alexf380

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2011
Messages
1,417
Location
Musselburgh, Scotland
Excellent news, and a hearty congratulations go out to those at Brodies for everything they've done. Should we expect a return to service this month?
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,813
Location
West of Andover
I guess for the first few months the 156 will be kept on local trips (East Kilbride/Barrhead stoppers) as a precaution in case it should fail in some unknown way.
 

Carntyne

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2015
Messages
1,026
I guess for the first few months the 156 will be kept on local trips (East Kilbride/Barrhead stoppers) as a precaution in case it should fail in some unknown way.

It will be kept on local diagrams until it can be proven to run fault free.
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Glad to hear 156478 is returning to service, I look forward to getting a ride on it hopefully in the near future.
 

HA25322

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2014
Messages
350
Location
The Moon
See it is at Corkerhill at the moment under maintenance. Has it worked yet in passenger service since its return?
Now the other question I have is what is now the current longest sidelined unit waiting to come back into traffic? Would it be 150275 which has been at Kilmarnock since 09/04/16 or 155346 which has been at Kilmarnock since 30/04/16.
 
Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,192
Now the other question I have is what is now the current longest sidelined unit waiting to come back into traffic? Would it be 150275 which has been at Kilmarnock since 09/04 or 155346 which has been at Kilmarnock since 30/04.

My bet's on 317722 :lol:

At first glance, I thought those dates meant 2004!
 

childwallblues

Established Member
Joined
3 Jul 2014
Messages
3,863
Location
Liverpool, UK
See it is at Corkerhill at the moment under maintenance. Has it worked yet in passenger service since its return?
Now the other question I have is what is now the current longest sidelined unit waiting to come back into traffic? Would it be 150275 which has been at Kilmarnock since 09/04/16 or 155346 which has been at Kilmarnock since 30/04/16.

Quite amazing. After a long time out of service you would think that 156478 had seen enough of the maintenance men!
 

JModulo

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2013
Messages
589
Location
67A
478 is currently out in service just now (on its own) working the 1701 Glasgow Central to East Kilbride.
 

Clansman

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2016
Messages
2,654
Location
Scotland
478 is currently out in service just now (on its own) working the 1701 Glasgow Central to East Kilbride.

Also doing the 18:18 to East Kilbride and the return service before going back to Cockerhill.

Anyone in Central in the next 1-2 hours?
 

380101

Member
Joined
18 Feb 2015
Messages
1,141
from a driver point of view it will be interesting to compare 478 with the KB Springburn refurbished units. Hopefully Brodies have done a better job as the cabs in 509 and 502 are a poor effort.

509 still has to be finished as the CET tank has not been fitted.
 

JModulo

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2013
Messages
589
Location
67A
from a driver point of view it will be interesting to compare 478 with the KB Springburn refurbished units. Hopefully Brodies have done a better job as the cabs in 509 and 502 are a poor effort.

509 still has to be finished as the CET tank has not been fitted.

I was always led to believe that the CET on 509 was fitted below the cab, something the drivers had been complaining about?
 

380101

Member
Joined
18 Feb 2015
Messages
1,141
I was always led to believe that the CET on 509 was fitted below the cab, something the drivers had been complaining about?

none there. during a shunt at Kilmarnock last week I purposely flushed the toilet then climbed down to the cess to check. On investigation below where the toilet is I found a waste pipe that discharges directly on to the track. the wet ballast and rear wheel of the leading bogie confirmed no tank.

there isn't much room under the driving cab for a tank.

I believe 502 has a tank fitted.
 

scotraildriver

Established Member
Joined
15 Jun 2009
Messages
1,846
from a driver point of view it will be interesting to compare 478 with the KB Springburn refurbished units. Hopefully Brodies have done a better job as the cabs in 509 and 502 are a poor effort.

509 still has to be finished as the CET tank has not been fitted.

Indeed! Very shabby. Labels written in ball point pen, wobbly armrests, howling leaking gangway door and ratling windows. PIS does not work. Heater leaking all over the floor. No wonder Knorr Bremse Springburn is struggling if this is the standard of work. Very poor.
 

380101

Member
Joined
18 Feb 2015
Messages
1,141
Indeed! Very shabby. Labels written in ball point pen, wobbly armrests, howling leaking gangway door and ratling windows. PIS does not work. Heater leaking all over the floor. No wonder Knorr Bremse Springburn is struggling if this is the standard of work. Very poor.

Aye. All very disappointed for us drivers. They forgot to put coat hooks back on the door aswell <( Have to say the side windows in both 509 and 502 were fine when I had them last week. Heater and drivers windscreen leaking though. Big gaps between the door frame and 2nd man's side near the screen wash locker.

The Labels not being there and ball point pen used was very unprofessional. It was pointed out to the relevant person though and next time I had 509 the labels were there.

Drivers seats and arm rests are appalling. Whoever designed the 156 cabs forgot about people taller than 5'8" <(
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
There were some photos on Facebook yesterday of the unit back out in service - I can't find them at the moment but I think they were on the Class *Various Sprinter numbers* group
 

Clansman

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2016
Messages
2,654
Location
Scotland
There were some photos on Facebook yesterday of the unit back out in service - I can't find them at the moment but I think they were on the Class *Various Sprinter numbers* group
I imagine they must be these ones - found them after a quick squint on Google:

14591712_1071014256350741_5194516776636140852_n.jpg


14925749_1071014296350737_3857111095106237473_n.jpg


14925263_1071014393017394_2928831367232563031_n.jpg


14938300_1071014343017399_9047026537089866160_n.jpg


Although I dislike the seats themselves, I have to say the interior looks great. Also spied the new passenger information screens installed mid carriage.
 
Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,641
Location
Hampshire
Indeed! Very shabby. Labels written in ball point pen, wobbly armrests, howling leaking gangway door and ratling windows. PIS does not work. Heater leaking all over the floor. No wonder Knorr Bremse Springburn is struggling if this is the standard of work. Very poor.

Doesn't just sound like the problems with Knorr Bremse are affecting the ScotRail fleet then, as the GWR repaints seem to be throwing up all sorts of issues as well.

I'm pleased however to see 478 back in service as well, considering the damage - although I see the 'refresh' has left the First coloured end walls!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top