• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Red Pen 2014 - your new haulages

Status
Not open for further replies.

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
From another trip to Nottingham to pick my mum up from there.
All Nottingham trams.

207 (Dud)
203 (Winner)
209 (Dud)
201 (Winner)
215 (Dud)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Yeah I see no reason to do it any more, but force of habit I suppose - abbreviating the station codes makes it easier to write down - assuming I know them of course!

Fair enough :) Aye I use abbreviated names where possible, and if I don't know the actual code I'll make my own up. Since it's only me observing my notes on my phone, so long as I know what it is then all is good :) Usually I'll change the code to the right one if I've not got the right one (for instance I often use MOX for Manchester Oxford Road, as I do sometimes forget it's MCO), but usually the memo file's deleted after I've written up my notes into the notebook, moves book and RailMiles.
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
Whilst LUL trains don't have 'traditional' headcodes, couldn't you use the train reporting number (3 digit one) on the front, eg:

units train no time route
21420/19 076 0805 Wim-ERd
7008 + 7503 037 1058 Upm-Brk

&c.

I could, but I'd need to know how to pull what schedule the train was running from the reporting number. I don't currently know an easy method of doing that with plenty of history (as you might notice, I only collate this info infrequently, so often need to rely on calling up schedules several weeks old).

Likewise I make up my own for stations. I use my own code for underground stations not also served by NR, e.g. BMY for Bermondsey and OXC for Oxford Circus. I know LUL have their own list somewhere, but I haven't found an easy way of pulling that out either.
 

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,852
43309 + 43296 both required on the 09:00 Leeds - Plymouth today. Not that I was on it for an extended period time, but it was good to get them in the book.
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
One new one for me yesterday - 66060 on the Retro tour. The 92 was dud, and I didn't even need the 08 which did the shunt release of the stock at Craigentinny!
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
An expensive cop today for one of the remaining two 185s still required which I have never seen before, after it was spotted in Platform 1 at York forming a service in 20 minutes' time.
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0095.jpg
    IMAG0095.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 34

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
An expensive cop today for one of the remaining two 185s still required which I have never seen before, after it was spotted in Platform 1 at York forming a service in 20 minutes' time.

£5.90 isn't too bad for a haulage. When I found my final Virgin Trains Mk3 carriage at Euston not long before the 390 invasion, it was formed in a Manchester that was first stop Stoke on Trent.

Yes - I did..... Straight there and then straight back again!
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
Ouch! That was quite a sting.

It was expensive by my standards since I have never gone out of my way to score a unit if extra payment is required, although I realise that this may well be a slippery slope and soon I could find myself paying megabucks to get my last 91. I could just picture it now. It would be too tempting to miss it if it stands in front of me ready to leave.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Been there done that, although I've never gone to the lengths of such a run for a MK3! I can't recall a specific time where I've had to pay extra to get something in the book, but I know it's happened before.

Imagine if it was first stop York from t'Cross for your last 91 bb21, that would be some hefty ching! Worse, being at Newcastle in the morning, in place for another train and for seeing the Up Flying Scotsman roll in with your last 91, RA to t'Cross at that time of day would be extreme ching!
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
A 185 in platform 1 at York? Can't say I've ever seen that before :D

Sadly I don't have a good enough memory of units I need to bend my journeys 'on the fly' - I've managed to get the wrong 360 of a pair at least three separate times this year, travelling on the unit I don't need instead of the one I do! I'm sure I have them all historically as I used to travel on them every day many years ago, but they're not all documented yet (still missing 109, 113, 115, 117, 120 and 121 - as well as the /2s which will no doubt be trickier as I have no reason to use HC).

I'll be honest, getting the 91s on my legitimate trips from London to York is proving a disaster, as when I travel with heavy luggage I can't justify going all the way up to the front to see the loco number. I do record the journey details anyway, but sadly nobody answers my TOPS thread posts :(
Amusingly, one of the only units I did manage record, 91115, I've actually recorded twice!
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
A 185 in platform 1 at York? Can't say I've ever seen that before :D

It's not booked from there I am pretty sure, as it is timed for departure at 1624, and there is a Voyager also departing at 1624 from Pfm 3. I think it was probably booked for Pfm 6/7 but somehow got routed into 1.

I have now had 185s off every single other platform at York, with the exception of Pfm 8.
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
Not having used TPE often I've only had them in 9 and 5, though I've had a fair spread with 91s. I have visited York station often as I used to live there, and can't ever remember seeing something other than a Northern DMU (usually a 142 or 158) in platform 1.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Not having used TPE often I've only had them in 9 and 5, though I've had a fair spread with 91s. I have visited York station often as I used to live there, and can't ever remember seeing something other than a Northern DMU (usually a 142 or 158) in platform 1.

You and me both.
Although I have seen a 142, 144, 150 and 158.
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
Latest red pens

24/6
165013, 165029, 165006, 165033, 377703, 377618, 315832 (Only need one more 315 now), 321326, 360109 & 360110

Underground: 21307/308, 21041/042, 21105/106, 21008/007, 21045/046, 21077/078, 21075/076 & 3232

Croydon Tram: 2549 & 2553

25/6
90004, 90001, 47828, 90003, 90011, 170205, 170207, 170201, 170206, 170202, 156417, 321329, 321335 & 321424

Underground: 92153, 93228, 93152, 92206, 92181

26/6
90028 & 60035

Underground: 21068/067, 21377/378, 21349/350 & 21419/420

Nearly finished my 315s I saw my final one but never saw it again. Spent sometime looking for my final 378 but never saw it so not as much as i was hoping for but it's another dent in what I need.
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
Nice on, getting in a brush. That particular 47, I have cleared for 3000 miles.

When we were in Norwich we weren't even sure if it was going to run last week as TRUST was showing 156419 to run the service it eventually ran. The unit arrived stayed in the station at Norwich and then the 47s came in from the yard and ran in its place. :D
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
47828 is dud from April 2004 for me :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
noddy1878:1838985 said:
Nearly finished my 315s I saw my final one but never saw it again. Spent sometime looking for my final 378 but never saw it so not as much as i was hoping for but it's another dent in what I need.

Doing very well then! If it's 378201 or 257 you need, I believe they've off to get their 5th coach added to them.

As for p1 at York, I've seen a 185 in p1 a few times before now on my limited visits to the area.

As for 91 gen requests, I'd love to help but sadly I have no gen groups I'm on to look at to find out. Surely there's a group on Yahoo Groups somewhere that logs these things? Maybe a more local member can suggest one.

Of course, if other people regularly posted on 'Trains you've seen working' it might be of benefit to all of us ;)
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
Yeah I might start posting there - trouble is, if I posted everything I see, it'd get spammed pretty hard! :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OK, June's activity:

2nd June
377506 (New) cleared for 1 mile
D78 7536 (New) cleared for 1 mile

3rd June
357215 cleared for 50 miles

4th June
96x51 cleared for 10 miles
S7 set 29 cleared for 10 miles
466028 (New) cleared for 1 mile

5th June
96x31 cleared for 50 miles
D78 7107 (New) cleared for <1 mile
S7 set 36 (New) cleared for 1 mile

7th June
S7 set 52 (New) cleared for 1 mile
S7 set 60 (New) cleared for 1 mile

9th June
96x45 cleared for 1 mile

10th June
96x45 cleared for 10 miles

11th June
357014 cleared for 10 miles
D78 7086 cleared for 1 mile
S7 set 38 cleared for 10 miles

12th June
95TS set 624 (First travel since refurbishment) cleared for <1 mile
S7 set 22 (New) cleared for <1 mile
360119 cleared for 20 miles (straight)

17th June
315825 cleared for 10 miles
315848 (Newly documented) cleared for 10 miles
465168 (New) cleared for 1 mile
92002 (New) cleared for 1 mile
92238 (New) cleared for 1 mile

18th June
315822 (first mileage since AGA refresh) cleared for 10 miles
315847 (Newly documented) cleared for 10 miles
92107 cleared for 1 mile
S8 set 3 cleared for 1 mile

19th June
315801 (first mileage since AGA refresh) cleared for 10 miles
315806 (Newly documented) cleared for 10 miles
92115 (Newly documented) cleared for 1 mile
92277 (New) cleared for 1 mile

21st June
S8 set 38 cleared for 1 mile
(whatever 91 was hauling 10329) cleared for 100 miles

23rd June
S7 set 63 (New) cleared for 1 mile
(whatever 91 was hauling 12203) cleared for 100 miles

24th June
95TS set 552 cleared for <1 mile

26th June
D78 7114 cleared for 1 mile

28th June
S8 unit 19 (New) cleared for 1 mile
360102 cleared for 20 miles (straight)

30th June
96x35 cleared for 10 miles

1st July
357018 cleared for 50 miles

2nd July
S7 set 58 (New) cleared for 1 mile
 

Domh245

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2013
Messages
8,426
Location
nowhere
When you say s7 set 58, do you mean train 21357/21358 or do you mean train 21415/21416? Just because you seem to be scoring a lot of low unit numbers, which would have been around for a while now.
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
I’ve been able to write up June’s haulage log in almost record time; mainly on account of having a week away from travel on the national network. However the first part of June was exceptionally busy with entries flooding into the book on an almost daily basis.
I have managed to break one of my own records this year, namely the number of different items travelled on/behind for the year. The last few years I had been averaging around 700 or so each year and I have to go back to 1980 for the record number of different items in any one year (900). It was becoming quite clear much earlier on in 2014 that the record was going to fall and so my 901st different item for the year in 2014 was duly logged on June 6th as 380003 – quite significant as less than 24 hours previous I scored my first ever 380! 1,000 different haulages for the year will be passed shortly but how many will I get by 31st December?
Without any further ado, here are the runners and riders that managed to get a note of some description in the haulage log -
2-Jun-14
I had a rare weekday evening free in London so the idea was to chase the remaining 442s that I needed for 10 miles and see what else I could pick up on the way. I was certainly not expecting to fall into my last 377/3 required for 10 miles but more than welcome all the same!
171726 New, cleared for 10 miles
171801 New, cleared for 10 miles
171802 New, cleared for 10 miles
377304 Cleared for 10 miles (last 377/3)
442405 Cleared for 10 miles
442417 Cleared for 10 miles
442423 Cleared for 10 miles

4-Jun-14
S-7 21421 New
S-7 21422 New
465249 Cleared for 10 miles (last 465/2 for 10 miles)

5-Jun-14
A nice early start as I am off to Scotland for a few days - a mix of riding and photography was on the menu. After the long drag north on 390011 – another dud Pendolino – but at least that’s the first one over 1,000 miles now. Pitched up at Glasgow Central with two objectives – the few remaining 314s & 380s that I needed to photograph and to ride as many of the two classes as possible. So much of the day was spent shuttling up and down between central and Paisley Gilmour Street interspersed with the odd spin to a required shack on the Cathcart circle. Finally met up with my fellow travellers who were more camera minded for a run over to Edinburgh for our digs – while the 170 was not a winner (virtually everything else was), at least it was another over 10 miles. New shack count totalled four and the 380s were no longer a virgin class for me!
156431 New
156433 New
156502 New
156512 New
170411 Cleared for 10 miles
314202 New
314203 Cleared for 10 miles
314204 New, cleared for 10 miles
314209 New
314210 New
314211 New
314213 New
314215 New
380004 New
380008 New
380012 New
380014 New
380020 New
380022 New
380101 New
380104 New
380109 New
380112 New
390011 Cleared for 1,000 miles (1st 390 to 1,000)

6-Jun-14
Day two of the Scottish trip saw us bright and early at Haymarket snapping units before the off peak curfew was lifted and over to Glasgow where we split again. At least I had a winning 170 on the way! Back to Central as I still wanted one each of 314 & 380 to phot. Quickly got the 314 but the 380 had not moved since the previous day from its position on prominent display to all and sundry at Shields. Instead tried to hunt down the remaining winning 314s and get some more 380s in the book. Once bored of that, pairs of 156s on the East Kilbrides became rather attractive and not forgetting the lunchtime spin out to Bellshill on a winning 158711. Another four new shacks came my way as well. Finally took a look at the low level, managing two 334 winners before it was time to do Sainsburys for stocking up on grub and meet the others at Queen Street where another winning 170 came my way on the trip back to Edinburgh.
156477 New
156501 New
156507 New
156510 New
156511 New
156513 New, cleared for 10 miles
158711 New, cleared for 10 miles
170423 New, cleared for 10 miles
170425 New, cleared for 10 miles
170459 Cleared for 10 miles
314206 New
314212 New
334008 New
334038 New
380002 New
380003 New
380015 New
380016 New
380017 New
380019 New
380108 New
380114 New

7-Jun-14
Time to head home and with our Scottish trips we always go back East Coast and stopping off here and there for phots so I knew haulage opportunities would be few and far between. All I eventually managed to secure of note was a pair of XC HST power cars (for renumbering) and a bus stop bash from Haymarket to Waverley on a winning 156. The rest was on completely dud 91s.
43285 First time current number
43303 First time current number
156437 New

10-Jun-14
375819 Cleared for 10 miles
376012 Cleared for 10 miles
378135 Cleared for 10 miles
465932 First time as 465/9
And a new shack – Imperial Wharf

11-Jun-14
S-7 21419 New
S-7 21420 New

12-Jun-14
465934 First time as 465/9

13-Jun-14
An hour or so to kill between work and meeting a member of my wife’s family at St Pancras saw me migrate to the Great Northern with the aim of mopping up some 313s for mileage.
313024 Cleared for 10 miles
313039 Cleared for 10 miles
313051 Cleared for 10 miles
313056 Cleared for 10 miles

14-Jun-14

With my wife entertaining her sister and doing “girly things”, I had the opportunity to wander out for a few hours so not having looked at Liverpool Street for a while, that was to be my target for the day. The only outright winner was a set of 1992 ts and I managed a useful haul of GE units for 10 miles.
1992ts 92319 New
317654 Cleared for 10 miles
317668 Cleared for 10 miles
317883 Cleared for 10 miles
321312 Cleared for 10 miles
321361 Cleared for 10 miles
379011 Cleared for 10 miles
379016 Cleared for 10 miles
379027 Cleared for 10 miles

15-Jun-14
465005 Cleared for 10 miles
465170 Cleared for 10 miles
465172 Cleared for 10 miles

17-Jun-14
375714 Cleared for 10 miles
465914 First time as 465/9

21-28-Jun-14
Annual Holidays and this year’s destination was the Isle of Man which I last visited at the tender age of three. Alas my parents did not see fit to record the appropriate haulages then so everything we travelled on was a winner! This visit was not a bashing holiday, more a sightseeing one; nevertheless I ended up with a reasonable bag of winners
Douglas Horse Trams – 43 twice (with two different horses, Steve & Charles)
Isle of Man Steam Railway – 4, 10, 15
Manx Electric Railway - 1, 6, 7, 9, 22 (plus trailers 40, 41, 43, 47, 48)
Snafell Mountain Railway – 4, 6
And a stack of new IOM buses as well

30-Jun-14
S-7 21391 Cleared for 10 miles
 
Last edited:

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
When you say s7 set 58, do you mean train 21357/21358 or do you mean train 21415/21416? Just because you seem to be scoring a lot of low unit numbers, which would have been around for a while now.

I'm not a unit chaser - all my records, unless otherwise stated, come from legitimate travel to/fro work, customers and social commitments :)

When I say 'unit 8' I mean unit 8 in the set, so for S8 unit 8 it'd be 21015/21016 for the driving cars.
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
2nd July

377702
Total(YTD):340

Little bit of a slog doing the 377/7 all the way from Milton Keynes-Clapham Junction. That's my 2nd 377/7 done now.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Keith Jarrett, I found your post most interesting but the biggest comment has to be that I'm nicking 'bus stop bash' for my future insect leaps! Love that term and it'll no doubt feature in a future trip report. I will credit you for it, if I forget remind me!

It has also reminded me to get north of the border too, which'll need holiday time booked so thanks, I can book that tomorrow :)

Samuelmorris: Why not join the fun and become a regular contributor to 'Trains you've seen working'? Your observations will be most welcome without a doubt!
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
47828 is dud from April 2004 for me :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Doing very well then! If it's 378201 or 257 you need, I believe they've off to get their 5th coach added to them.

It is 257 i need! I've not even seen it! Wasn't aware some had gone already! :-x
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
It is 257 i need! I've not even seen it! Wasn't aware some had gone already! :-x

That's the thing with the /2s, they get all over LO (bar GOBLIN obviously) so it's difficult to find what you need. Took me a while, actually fudging AGES, to find my last 378 for sight!

As for whether the 378s are coming back as /2s or whether there will be another stage of renumbering, I have no gen. Not heard anything yet but I wouldn't be surprised if they did renumber them. No need in my opinion mind, but we'll see...

I only knew that 378s had gone off for the work thanks to seeing it on an email from UKmodernEMU (Yahoo! group), surely though it won't take too long to get the extra coaches added and you'll get 257 soon enough I suspect!
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
For some reason I keep finding 257, I think I've been on it several times, yet I don't actually have it documented, as although I know I've been on it, that was before I logged what units I'd been on... :(

Techniquest: Yeah I think I probably will. Off to a customer site this morning, so I'll see what I can spot for you!
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
Keith Jarrett, I found your post most interesting but the biggest comment has to be that I'm nicking 'bus stop bash' for my future insect leaps! Love that term and it'll no doubt feature in a future trip report. I will credit you for it, if I forget remind me!

It has also reminded me to get north of the border too, which'll need holiday time booked so thanks, I can book that tomorrow :)

Samuelmorris: Why not join the fun and become a regular contributor to 'Trains you've seen working'? Your observations will be most welcome without a doubt!

Techniquest, of course you're welcome to nick the term bus stop bash. It's been around since at least the late 1970s and was used by loco bashes to describe any short distance move. Nobody ever seemed to know exactly what constituted a bus stop bash but ones that I have come across are Exeter St Davids to Central or St Thomas, Cardiff Central to Queen Street, Reading to Reading West, Newcastle to Manors, the aforementioned Edinburgh to Haymarket and oddly Nottingham to Beeston despite the distance being over three miles. I suspect that the term was used in a derogatory way initially as with locos the expectation was that you'd be doing a reasonable distance to get the next one rather than some derisory leap of a mile (or even less). But I'm sure that there are "Men of Steel" out there who can expand more on the precise definition of a bus stop bash (or bus stop leap)!

Anyway, glad that you found my June report interesting and hope you get north of the border soon. I need to get back there too as there's still about 70 units I still need outright and countless ones for 10 miles so one more trip will not crack it and the annual photography/bashing trip with my two mates only lasts two to three days!

Anyway, happy bashing one and all.
 

capital12

Member
Joined
20 Aug 2012
Messages
527
Hi all!

Ive been reading through some of your posts here and was wondering how you log your traction, and what self imposed rules you may use.

If, for example, a train is formed of three units do you log all three for haulage or just the one you're sat in?! (Personally I count all three as in theory 'I could' walk up and down for the entire journey to make sure I travelled in each unit but choose to sit in one! Ok, that theory is a little interesting when it comes to something like 360s but living down south I'm used to through corridors so for consistently I treat these the same!).

Also, if something loco hauled is topped and tailed do you count both? (Again I will usually count both, but make a note about the rear loco - whether it be dead, idling or propelling).

Obviously there are no right or wrong ways, and it's down to the individual, but was just curious what others did!

May have to post my recent new stuff!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top