.
There is so much more to life than trains. Go out and find it.
Yes, mainly beer.
.
There is so much more to life than trains. Go out and find it.
Mention has been made of making conversation with spotters and being rebuffed. Would anyone try making conversation about a random topic with a football fan who they didn't know at a match? I suspect the response might be similar! As Bramling quite rightly pointed out, knowing when to strike up conversation with someone is a social skill itself.
It really depends on the situation, but this could of course have nothing to do with the spotters being rude and everything to do with the memoir writer being rude. There are certain situations where it is pretty damn rude to try to have a conversation with someone when it is obvious they clearly don't want one. Someone wearing headphones is a great example, but someone clearly busy writing in a notepad is another, or someone clearly trying to take a photograph is also another.
Not a random topic, no, but I have been to games and talked to other spectators. Usually, a sigh and "he really is f***ing c**p isn't he?" or similar. Never had anything other than a sociable response.
Not a random topic, no, but I have been to games and talked to other spectators. Usually, a sigh and "he really is f***ing c**p isn't he?" or similar. Never had anything other than a sociable response.
I wouldn't do it to spotters, as firstly I'm not one, and secondly there isn't a sense of subjectivity about spotting. It's collecting numbers in most cases. Often, enthusiasts will film and won't appreciate chatting in their video.
Definitely "ish"![]()
BTW I don't have a beer rating app on my phone. No not at all. Nope.![]()
I agree! Football is much more social even if you attend on your own. Usually some kind of exasperated grumping will deliver a sympathetic response and open up a decent chat.
mind you beer attracts spotters and collectors. I am sure you have seen the rock band t shirt clad notebook holder ticking off beers at a festival usually sporting an impressive paunch and beard. The same rules apply. You will find beer spotters talking in great details about finings and hops and mash tuns.
BTW I don't have a beer rating app on my phone. No not at all. Nope.![]()
I used to be hyper obsessed with trains and buses. Like, I'd waste my day watching videos of them and nothing else. It was so soul draining, but I kept on doing it.
However, I also had an interest in video gaming, and a mild interest in football (I played for a team for a bit!). However, most ofy life was consumed by my train hobby. That is all I had to present to everyone at school (and I didn't even tell anyone about it), so I appeared as a pretty boring person. That's when I knew that I had to diverse my interests. So throughout this year, I have made more progress to be more interesting. I got social media for the first time, went to the cinema a couple of times, made quite a lot of new friends, talk about lots of stuff (holidays, food, video games and all sorts, and even came up with nicknames for each other, lol). One of them is a Leeds supporter, and we have out daily banter with each other (I'm a soon to be Barnsley supporter, first match next month).
I guess even if I still like trains (as I'm on this forum, lol), I shouldn't let it take over my life. Make yourself have different interests, and you'll always attract many people to you. Some way.
Whilst not the "end of the world", I can certainly see how it might be irritating if someone comes up and starts a conversation in front of a person's nose whilst they're trying to take a photo of something, especially if that photo is what they've set out to do. This could be said to lack just as much social skill and situation judgement as is often levelled at 'trainspotters'.
In a similar context, if you had a spotting discussion with a spotter, it would probably go down ok - unless you tried starting it when going past a large depot! (This would probably be like trying to start a convo with the person next to you just as an important penalty was about to be taken)

At the same event two enthusiasts in their teens turned on their guardian because they were going to miss the Stanier Pacific moving around due to the fact that they had to get their train. The way those two ungrateful teenagers behaved was an absolute disgrace and in all honesty they deserved a telling off. None of that did anything to alter the widely held opinion that rail enthusiasts are a bit weird. Not to mention being badly dressed, not washing their hair (let alone the rest of their bodies) and having nothing to talk about other than trains.
So are you suggesting that people can't talk and use their eyes at the same time?![]()
)Perhaps - but as was pointed out above one doesn't want to appear rude, even to the annoying.
While I do feel sorry for people lacking what are crucial and obvious social skills put bluntly it is not my job to help them find them. I do not feel I am equipped with the skills to do so.
A couple of years a go we enjoyed a family day out to Barrow Hill with loads of steam locos in action. Getting rather too close to one of Staniers finest my Dad and I and my youngest son got some soot on our faces. Once a mum always a mum my wife came to the rescue with endless wet wipes. Having cleaned our happy little faces my wife then noticed two enthusiasts standing next to us with equally sooty faces. The offer (complete with winning smile) of wipes was met with a glare before they stormed off. Freaks is the word that comes to mind here.
I think I recall your mentioning this incident, in a previous thread. I have to admit that -- taking it that these guys were somewhat humour-challenged, as a certain number of railfans are -- I can sympathise with them a little bit. I'm sure your wife's offer was made in jest (including seeing a slight possibility of the enthusiasts -- also in jest -- taking her up on it); but feel that she ought to have been aware of a possibility of the joke misfiring the way it did, and offence being taken.
In all fairness my wife's gesture was a simple act of kindness and was certainly not made in jest. It was simply an offer to help them clean their faces, especially since the men's toilets were not much help. At no point did anyone in my family even attempt to make fun of them, especially given that three of us including myself) were in the same filthy state as they were! When I was growing up it was known as doing a good turn.
Ungrateful and stroppy teenagers are hardly confined to railways!
While it may be a solitary hobby for some, spotting certainly isn't for a lot of people - a good number of the crowd of spotters who go to Doncaster on a Thursday do so on that day so they can meet up with each other and have a chat etc rather than being there alone. You can also look back to the spotting heydays of the 60s-80s, when coachloads of spotters would do trips round places like Crewe Works and railway depots, with people often making long-term friendships with others on the trips.
I don't think the solitary nature just applies to railways/spotting either - when I've been out on trains, I've often seen lone men fishing by the river, but I'm sure there are others who go fishing with mates. Similarly, I'm sure there are some who go to football matches on their own and don't converse with the person next to them.
Mention has been made of making conversation with spotters and being rebuffed. Would anyone try making conversation about a random topic with a football fan who they didn't know at a match? I suspect the response might be similar! As Bramling quite rightly pointed out, knowing when to strike up conversation with someone is a social skill itself.
Another social skill which hasn't been mentioned is that of tolerance, and I suspect a few people (both railway enthusiasts and others) could do with improving on that too!
It's not about helping them find them. It's about modelling socially accepted ways of being in a positive way.
Example: Someone speaks to someone, and is ignored. Consequence: The ignored now becomes the ignorer when spoken to by someone else. If you imagine that four or five times a day, then pretty soon it is going to be an issue when they realise that's not how it should be.
Small talk by the way I find incredibly irritating, it's just a load of stating the obvious, but I find myself easily pressured into it for sake of social niceties. As much as I'm tempted to say I support Corbyn or their opinion on Keynesian Economics, to make them go away, my own sense of politeness prevents me.
Absolutely spot on there. I think it's to do with male psychology, men tend to be very task focused, whereas the fairer sex are more communication and emotionally focused. Basically communicating is more of task for men than women. So if men set about a task fully expecting to engaged without the need to communicate with others, you may receive a seemingly rude response even if they don't intend too.
However if you set about a task, but fully aware that there maybe some social contact from other people, rather than being caught on the unawares, often you can be a little more prepared for any, unwarranted small talk.
Small talk by the way I find incredibly irritating, it's just a load of stating the obvious, but I find myself easily pressured into it for sake of social niceties. As much as I'm tempted to say I support Corbyn or their opinion on Keynesian Economics, to make them go away, my own sense of politeness prevents me.
it is a crucial part of life and something many here seem to lack and/or misunderstand. It is simply an open conversation on no defined topic and an attempt to find common ground, some connection and in particular be a conversation opener.
In my experience most enthusiasts (I'm one myself) are perfectly pleasant, as one would expect, many are eccentric, some clearly like to keep themselves to themselves - this is usually very obvious from their discrete behaviour - and perfectly understandable.
Glad someone has picked up the OP's question about "enthusiasts" - as opposed to spotters!
I wonder if the fact that we are members of this forum makes us enthusiasts, whereas lots of us will never (or only briefly) have been spotters! I might admit to being an enthusiast, but have lots of other interests that severely limit the time to enjoy real rail, hence virtual discussions, regular train journeys but only occasional visits to preserved railways.