And one rather expensive cablecar - which according to Wikipedia actually can convey bicycles, though I haven't been able to find any confirmation on TfL's website.
I hate to be the one to tell you this Steve, but TfL's/the Mayor's favoured option for a new river crossing in East London is a third Blackwall Tunnel.Really? Surely nobody with a sane mind would suggest building a third tunnel which will just encourage more car use and in a few years time we'll be back to square one, just as has happened with the Dartford Bridge. That really is a ridiculous suggestion
The DLR will be allowing cycles in a 6 month trial from 1st July.Don't forget: Two DLR lines and one tube line: Cycles banned at all times.
Ever heard of hyperbole?
I don't think its appropriate or helpful to use 'hyperbole' on a forum such as this. I also think its extremely rude to start calling people idiots for not being as well versed with the TfL transport network as you apparently are. Or indeed for those unfortunate souls who only visit London twice a year and have neglected to check how credit they have on their Oyster card. A little more tolerance towards others wouldn't go a miss!
I hate to be the one to tell you this Steve, but TfL's/the Mayor's favoured option for a new river crossing in East London is a third Blackwall Tunnel.
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/rivercrossings/cc90b4dd
The DLR will be allowing cycles in a 6 month trial from 1st July.
Rail simply does not cover a journey from south to north or north to south through southeast London in one journey or even two changes may even be required. Not convenient. If I go from Bromley and I need to get to North London, what are my options? If I live in southeast London and need to get over the river, train again is not an option. The DLR is as far Stratford or bank (and that's if you live close to Woolwich). From southeast to north of the river, car is the only viable option in one journey.
I think those that say that congestion charge should be increased are entitled to their view bit I cannot agree.
I have definitely made less trips to London since Ken Livingstone came up with this crazy idea.
And to suggest that everyone who drives should go by train is ridiculous.
It is horses for courses and many of us pay a fair share in various taxes to use our car so why should we not have the choice.
Rail simply does not cover a journey from south to north or north to south through southeast London in one journey or even two changes may even be required. Not convenient. If I go from Bromley and I need to get to North London, what are my options? If I live in southeast London and need to get over the river, train again is not an option. The DLR is as far Stratford or bank (and that's if you live close to Woolwich). From southeast to north of the river, car is the only viable option in one journey.
The amount of car use in London, especially Central London, is I would suggest very low when compared with most world cities. And the congestion is nowhere near as bad, the majority of the major traffic problems are on the motorway network when there is a problem or the Blackwall tunnel, which is a major pinchpoint and completely inadequate, as it serves
both short distance traffic crossing the river, and the major round London trunk routes, due to the lack of other crossings, such as a direct link between the A406 and A2.
I'll agree that SE London has poor road links to N & E London, but public transport links are not too bad.
Long gone are the days when it was a foot tunnel, a ferry and the 108 bus!
I'll agree that SE London has poor road links to N & E London, but public transport links are not too bad.
Long gone are the days when it was a foot tunnel, a ferry and the 108 bus!
Rail simply does not cover a journey from south to north or north to south through southeast London in one journey or even two changes may even be required. Not convenient. If I go from Bromley and I need to get to North London, what are my options? If I live in southeast London and need to get over the river, train again is not an option. The DLR is as far Stratford or bank (and that's if you live close to Woolwich). From southeast to north of the river, car is the only viable option in one journey.
In short, there's a very substantial area of outer SE London, centered on Bexley, from where there is no realistic way to make an orbital journey to NE London by public transport. And worse, if the 'Bridge the Gap' campaign to build a road bridge from Thamesmead succeeds, it will mean that orbital journeys to/from this part of London will become extremely easy by road, yet remain very difficult by public transport, which I imagine will have very bad consequences for congestion, pollution, etc.
I think it's a little more nuanced than this.
Radial journeys from SE London into central London (and from there to N London) are well served by trains.
For orbital journeys across the Thames, although the situation has vastly improved over the last 15 years, it's more problematic. The Overground is good but only for a subset of possible journeys, since within SE London the Overground only really serves the area around New Cross (before heading into S/SW London), and doesn't have many good connections with other services. If you live further East, you have the DLR, which has the advantage of running to Stratford (good connections to much of NE London). However, the DLR is slow, and only really suitable for quite short journeys. Crossrail will be great, but really just gives a new link into central London - it won't help that much with orbital journeys.
In short, there's a very substantial area of outer SE London, centered on Bexley, from where there is no realistic way to make an orbital journey to NE London by public transport. And worse, if the 'Bridge the Gap' campaign to build a road bridge from Thamesmead succeeds, it will mean that orbital journeys to/from this part of London will become extremely easy by road, yet remain very difficult by public transport, which I imagine will have very bad consequences for congestion, pollution, etc.
It may mean some bus routes on both sides of the river may be extended to cover those areas not reached before.
The DLR may be 'slow' but it does open up new connections for Bexley residents who use the Greenwich line from Woolwich Arsenal and Crossrail will take off some of the pressure from Southeastern metro services west of Abbey Wood.
I live in Bexley and at the weekend can drive via the A2, Blackwall Tunnel, and Limehouse Link and be parked on John Adam Street (by Charing Cross Station) in 25 minutes
I live in Bexley and at the weekend can drive via the A2, Blackwall Tunnel, and Limehouse Link and be parked on John Adam Street (by Charing Cross Station) in 25 minutes,.
It may mean some bus routes on both sides of the river may be extended to cover those areas not reached before.
The DLR may be 'slow' but it does open up new connections for Bexley residents who use the Greenwich line from Woolwich Arsenal and Crossrail will take off some of the pressure from Southeastern metro services west of Abbey Wood.
But it does bring me on to the fact that the Via Sidcup line seems to be the poor relation of the 3 Dartford lines unfortunately. 4 trains an hour London bound (excusing the 2tph Cannon St loop via Woolwich in the opposite direction) hardly seems fair when the Bexleyheath line has 6tph and the Woolwich line receives 10tph respectively.
Those are valid, correct points. I don't think they alter my argument though, since a large number of people are unlikely to use buses or will only use them for very short journeys (because they are so slow and often uncomfortable). The DLR does provide good connections to the Woolwich rail line, but that line only serves a fairly narrow corridor along the Thames.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
FYI the Woolwich line has only 6 stopping trains per hour, plus two Gillingham trains which only stop at a few stations (and further west, run via Blackheath-Lewisham). Obviously still a far better service than the Sidcup line gets. I don't know whether that's fair or not, but between Woolwich Arsenal and London, the Woolwich line trains are usually very busy.