People have always moaned at young people for being less intelligent than their generation. You can find quotes from Ancient Greece that say pretty much the same things, about how modern technology and conveniences are making the youth of the day stupid. Given the number of older people who read the Daily Mail, I suspect there are just as many likely to do so in your generation as there are in ours
(The only reason there might not be is that people in your generation have had more time to kill themselves with their own stupidity. Not sure how much this would affect the figures, but I'd assume not much...)
There has been a lot of talk about how serious it could be that the cab is unlocked. But on many trains the cab can easily be accessed by anyone by using an emergency access handle, often by smashing a glass cover.
Should they be sealed up?
Or is the door being closed enough of a deterrent to terrorists?
My view is that it's a non-issue.
How on earth is he a muppet for highlighting what he thought was a serious issue? The layman doesnt know the minuatae of what can and cant be done from the back cab of a train.
I think that the argument that only by involving the press will anything be done is a dubious one. If the TOC had been contacted directly then I am sure that they would have reminded staff about the need to keep doors locked at the very minimum.
I don't see what's been gained by going the social media route, apart from people describing him as a bit of muppet! Then again, maybe I'm just old fashioned and not enamoured with social media or the way it's used these days.
Without a key in there is very little you can do part from stop the train was my point. You certainly couldn't crash it.
Dubious perhaps, but it's the way things are now.
We're living with a generation now of the opinion that without photo/video evidence something didn't happen.
What can either of these groups achieve in an unattended cab area?
Yes, a photo of the open door would have been just fine.But if the door was "wide open", surely all we'd need is a photograph of the open door? He didn't need to go in there. He didn't need to sit in the driver's chair. He didn't need to take silly photographs with his girlfriend, and ridiculous selfies.
It's clearly more about attention seeking than it is about actually proving a point, although I don't deny that the point has been well made.
Tom B said:I saw a guard's panel on a 225 open a couple of years ago. The only person who I could find, a trolley dolly, was uninterested. I locked it with the multi-tool I have on my keyring!
But in the case here it's irrelevant as you don't really get opportunistic terrorists who would see an unlocked door and think "great opportunity to hide this bomb I've been carrying around for weeks now"!
What a pair of idiots. What does this achieve? I'm no expert, but it's quite clear that no-one could have realistically done much in the cab. Yes, it should have been closed, but it's not going to make a huge difference to anything that it was open. He clearly knows that he should not have been in there, and yet he was. I'm in agreement with "furlong" and various other posters - charge them with trespass (although it clearly won't happen, as you'd have to fight the DM which isn't really worth the effort in this case).
And, FWIW, this has to be one of the worst selfies I've ever seen:
![]()
Unusually, I find myself agreeing with the commentards on the DM website:
It's quite sad that young people nowadays would probably call this "investigative journalism". :roll:
I am wondering, why does the DRA appear to be active?
Cab doors being left open isn't that rare. I've closed a few in the early morning when I've gotten on the train before the driver. Probably left open by the overnight cleaners.
I wonder how easy it would be for a TOC to simply lay the blame on a cleaner?
Out of interest, assuming a cleaner did leave a door open, when a train is taken out and put into service by a driver - is it his/her responsibility to check ALL doors.
Yes, a photo of the open door would have been just fine.
exactly. they had no business being in that cab.Which is exactly why you'd have thought a sensible person wouldn't touch anything or even go there...? Or anyone with a brain....
They may have no business being there, and they don't, but the doors giving access should have been locked.
While there is nothing they could do that would endanger the safety of anyone, someone similar accessing the cab could cause a lot of disruption.
They do it deliberately on our TOC.
Not the responsibility of the Driver to check all doors for some types of stock on PB. It isn't on the list of things to check for.
Not all trains are PB and some are PC so only the front cab is checked.
This is not an isolated occurrence. I am in a carriage in a 465 heading to Cannon Street with an open cab door myself.