• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Older cars you have seen

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,043
That’s a beauty. Pope’s nose deck lid and single coloured brake lights. That must be one of the first ones built after the oval back window ones.
I think it probably belongs to a visitor, as I've never seen it before. (It was parked on a road I use frequently). I did go that way again yesterday to see if I could get better pictures (I was rushing for a train when I took the the first one), but it had been moved :frown:.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
I have to say that I find the definition of ‘old’ being stretched a lot, although that is probably my age. My definition is a car that appeared before the suffix letters were introduced; that was 1963, but I think it wasn’t compulsory until 1965. I might stretch to ones that were first registered when number plates still had a black background, i.e. before 1973.

I saw two today: a J-registered sky-blue Triumph 13/60 convertible and a pea-green Morris 1000 saloon.
The first looked a bit careworn, with odd rust marks around the bottom of the doors, but the other, probably resident in Ryde, seemed (from a quick look from a passing bus) to be looked after.
 

SteveyBee131

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2017
Messages
743
Location
Grimsby Town
Saw two older cars in Grimsby today: a dark green Toyota Starlet on an R prefix plate and absolutely pristine; and a Triumph something-or-other in a very nice teal blue on a J suffix plate.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,957
Location
Devon
A 1980s Citroen Pallas went flew past me in the opposite direction this afternoon, painted in a greeny blue colour.

We had one when I was a kid. I absolutely loved it but it spent more time in the garage than on the road. :lol:
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,840
Location
Clydebank
Spotted a well-worn K-reg (August 1992 - July 1993) Volvo 240 estate at Hardgate shopping precinct - a location which has come up trumps for me yet again with this, less than two weeks after the Renault 5 I posted a few pages back.

20260507_124227.jpg


20260507_124303.jpg

That wasn't all I saw yesterday as I also clapped eyes on a L-reg Subaru Impreza WRX with full rally decals at Singer station, a classic British roadster of some description in red (most likely a Austin Healey) traversing Hardgate Roundabout and a P-reg Land Cruiser driving past me as I walked home from the local Co-op.

Only managed to get the above pics of the Volvo tho, the rest either caught me unawares, I was too far away or I had my hands full of shopping bags.
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
I've just gone past a driveway with two Citroen Saxos on it... one 1999, one 2001.

I have slightly too many questions.
That reminds me of one seen recently at a local Lidl - an X reg Saxo VTR.
The VTR being the less powerful sibling to the VTS and being significantly cheaper to insure while looking basically the same meant a lot were bought then modified and/or crashed by boy racers, so it's unusual to see a clean and unmodified one these days.
 

Attachments

  • 20260225_160148.jpg
    20260225_160148.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 14

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,957
Location
Devon
A tidy H reg Ford Granada at St David’s earlier. The owner like us had turned up to watch the steam go through (he could be reading this ;)).

IMG_8278.png
 

Bishopstone

Established Member
Joined
24 Jun 2010
Messages
1,689
Location
Seaford
Spotted a well-worn K-reg (August 1992 - July 1993) Volvo 240 estate at Hardgate shopping precinct - a location which has come up trumps for me yet again with this, less than two weeks after the Renault 5 I posted a few pages back.

Lovely 240 spot. The Torslanda was a run-out special with lots of goodies fitted, to clear the factory shelves. K-reg makes this a very late one.
 

Ted633

Member
Joined
15 Mar 2018
Messages
571
Saw a Delorean this afternoon. No, it wasn’t going 88 mph (but too much of a surprise for me to grab a photo). However, it was a stock one, not decked out in Back to the Future guise.
 

JD2168

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2022
Messages
1,735
Location
Sheffield
A reg Saab going through Sheffield City Centre on Friday morning 8/5/26 - looked in pretty good
 

D1537

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2019
Messages
2,094
Location
North Yorkshire
Driving home one evening last week, was two cars behind a very smart Morris Minor, and in front of the Morris was black Audi of some description. At one point, the road turns into a quite long and very steep climb, and at that point gains a crawler lane. Even in my quite powerful hatchback, you're going down to 5th, and probably 4th gear when you hit it. Would the Morris struggle a bit? Well, no. It immediately pulled out and blasted past the Audi and carried on pulling away all the way up the bank. I'd love to know what it had underneath the bonnet, because it certainly wasn't a standard A-series!
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,957
Location
Devon
Driving home one evening last week, was two cars behind a very smart Morris Minor, and in front of the Morris was black Audi of some description. At one point, the road turns into a quite long and very steep climb, and at that point gains a crawler lane. Even in my quite powerful hatchback, you're going down to 5th, and probably 4th gear when you hit it. Would the Morris struggle a bit? Well, no. It immediately pulled out and blasted past the Audi and carried on pulling away all the way up the bank. I'd love to know what it had underneath the bonnet, because it certainly wasn't a standard A-series!

Brilliant. A Q Car Morris!
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,737
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Toyota's MR2 was released in 1984, although this W20 (its second-generation 5th revision) dates from the late 1990s, being registered January 1998.
I still see quite a few MR2s on the road; but this example is the tidiest-looking I've noticed for a while.
 

Attachments

  • 20260511_115939.jpg
    20260511_115939.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 11
Joined
23 Nov 2023
Messages
781
Location
Grimsby
A couple from Grimsby this morning; a tidy Scooby on a 52 plate (23½ years old!), and a relatively rare survivor in the form of an N-reg Iveco 49.10 camper, (30½).
 

Attachments

  • IMG20260511114526.jpg
    IMG20260511114526.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG20260511122300.jpg
    IMG20260511122300.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 18

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
A nice dark green MGB-GT with a G-suffix plate from the end of the 1960s; one type I did get a ride in when I was young. Three of us schoolboys helped a driver push a blue one a long way down the road to get it started and he then gave us a ride back to the starting point to pick up our satchels.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
A couple of proper old cars today: two Austin 7, probably 1930s vintage, one a red saloon and the other a brown tourer. Also another MGB-GT, this time red, and a blue Morris 1000; I didn’t get their ages, but they both had black-backed numberplates.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
A couple of proper old cars today: two Austin 7, probably 1930s vintage, one a red saloon and the other a brown tourer. Also another MGB-GT, this time red, and a blue Morris 1000; I didn’t get their ages, but they both had black-backed numberplates.
Funnily enough i saw a mint MGB GT with a silver on black plate at the weekend. However it was an ‘R’ plate (1977) and therefore they were not original plates! That always spoils it for me.
 

Forty29

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2021
Messages
826
Location
Bicester
Had an orange S reg Austin Maxi overtake me on the north bound A34 near Newbury on Sunday then l overtook him on hills etc think it might have been SGG 660S memory not like it was. The Driver looked enormous compared to modern cars wrap around seats!
 

Top