• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Older cars you have seen

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,961
Location
Devon
Our friends and neighbours Triumph TR6 collection.

IMG_7718.jpeg

There’s an interesting story behind these two.

The white one used to be black and has been the car that they’ve taken to various rallies and shows over the years, both here and abroad.

About three years ago though someone crashed into them when they were out and about one weekend and severely damaged the car causing it to be written off.

They managed to buy a replacement (the blue one) off the insurance payout, but also buy the ruined black one back. Which was then stripped down to the bare shell, straightened on a jig, strengthened, resprayed white and put back together again.

The white one has Webber carburettors, which took an age to sort out but seem to work well now that it’s been set up on a rolling road. The blue one has fuel injection, which is causing some problems currently.

Still. Nice to have a choice of classic car to take out with the roof down on a sunny day!
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,753
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Fabulous TR6s there, @Cowley 8-) A TR6 and a TR4 potter about locally to me, in fairer weather.

Last summer, I snared photos of GT6 Mk2 and Spitfire Mk2 - are on post 3 of this thread - but a shot of a Stag eluded me.
Until today... An August 1977 registered example, parked at our local rugby club.
 

Attachments

  • 20260325_115500(0).jpg
    20260325_115500(0).jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,961
Location
Devon
Fabulous TR6s there, @Cowley 8-) A TR6 and a TR4 potter about locally to me, in fairer weather.
Last summer, I snared photos of GT6 Mk2 and Spitfire Mk2 - are on post 3 of this thread - but a shot of a Stag eluded me. Until today.

Oh yes that is rather nice.
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,753
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Silver V reg Fiat X1/9, looked amazing
Great catch. One of the last true Fiat X1/9, X-reg (1st August 1981 to 31st July 1982), as Bertone produced it from 1982 to 1989; Gran Finale examples had UK registrations in 1989 and 1990. I snared on locally last year (link)
 

SteveyBee131

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2017
Messages
743
Location
Grimsby Town
Didn't get a picture as was on the school run, but saw a pair of Morris Minors yesterday morning. One was a convertible (2 colours, maroon and cream), and the other a solid roof (in a very smart navy) even had a local Grimsby registration (can't remember now but both were early 1960s). Made me and little one's morning! :D
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,045
Didn't get a picture as was on the school run, but saw a pair of Morris Minors yesterday morning. One was a convertible (2 colours, maroon and cream), and the other a solid roof (in a very smart navy) even had a local Grimsby registration (can't remember now but both were early 1960s). Made me and little one's morning! :D
Earlier today my bus home was passed by a blue 4-door saloon with an E-suffix plate (1967). There do seem to be quite a few Minors in everyday use, which this one definitely looked to be (rather than looking like a museum exhibit). I saw another 4-door, in green, only a week or so ago.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,961
Location
Devon
I passed a bog standard non metallic faded blue F reg (1989 ish?) Vauxhall Astra near our house earlier and did a double take.

I nearly did a U turn and gave chase to get a photo, but decided that I’d look a bit weird. Regretting it now though.

Saw a young lad in a beautifully restored Scirocco in our local petrol station the other day. I had a bit of a chat to him about the car and he convinced me that I should get one (I think he might have been right).
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,688
Location
The West Country
I passed a bog standard non metallic faded blue F reg (1989 ish?) Vauxhall Astra near our house earlier and did a double take.

I nearly did a U turn and gave chase to get a photo, but decided that I’d look a bit weird. Regretting it now though.

Saw a young lad in a beautifully restored Scirocco in our local petrol station the other day. I had a bit of a chat to him about the car and he convinced me that I should get one (I think he might have been right).
I used to have an H reg Astra. I had it for a few years until I hit a deer on the way to work one morning. I had it repaired but it was never the same and got rid of it shortly after. I understand they are quite collectable now.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,961
Location
Devon
I used to have an H reg Astra. I had it for a few years until I hit a deer on the way to work one morning. I had it repaired but it was never the same and got rid of it shortly after. I understand they are quite collectable now.

I think we should take moment to think of Bambi here.
 

KT550

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2020
Messages
935
Location
Surrey
A few seen in Southampton yesterday:

MG from Oct 1972
Volvo 700 series, Feb 1990
Fiat Panda Giannini, Aug 1993 but with a fitting earlier registration
Toyota MR2, Nov 2000
 

Attachments

  • MG.jpg
    MG.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • Volvo.jpg
    Volvo.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 20
  • Panda.jpg
    Panda.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 21
  • MR2.jpg
    MR2.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 21

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,753
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Good work @KT550 8-) An MR2 gen-2 is the 'daily driver' at a house ten minutes' dog-walk from me. It's owner also has the silver tired-looking Rover SD1 that I posted earlier this thread.

A presentable Pug - at M4 Leigh Delamere services just now. 8-)
 

Attachments

  • 20260328_173741.jpg
    20260328_173741.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

KT550

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2020
Messages
935
Location
Surrey
Seen in Arundel today:

VW Beetle, Nov 1970
Honda Civic Shuttle, March 1990
Wolseley 1500, April 1963

Star item was a VW Karmann Ghia from November 1969.
No photo from me, but here is one of the exact vehicle from another source.
 

Attachments

  • Civic2.jpg
    Civic2.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 10
  • Wolseley.jpg
    Wolseley.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • Civic1 (1024x768).jpg
    Civic1 (1024x768).jpg
    665.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Beetle.jpg
    Beetle.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 9

JD2168

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2022
Messages
1,735
Location
Sheffield
V reg Ford Fiesta in Doncaster on Friday 27/3/26
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4649.jpeg
    IMG_4649.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 13

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
A 1983/84 (A prefix) Volkswagen Jetta seen in Ossett, then later a 1996 (P prefix) Toyota Starlet at Tingley Interchange.
 
Joined
23 Nov 2023
Messages
786
Location
Grimsby
Another rarity in Grimsby today, H- reg Volkswagen Corrado, first registered January 1991 according to the DVLA website. It's in regular use as I keep seeing it, but only got around to taking a photo today!
 

Attachments

  • IMG20260331105606.jpg
    IMG20260331105606.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 14

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,691
Location
Solihull
L reg Montego estate seen at The Fort earlier, not seen an estate Montego for years. Looked well worn but in working order.

My wife didn't seem to share my enthusiasm for it, strange.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
L reg Montego estate seen at The Fort earlier, not seen an estate Montego for years. Looked well worn but in working order.

My wife didn't seem to share my enthusiasm for it, strange.
Did you check whether it had the rear-facing third row of seats in the back?
I remember seeing those when I was a kid, and thinking it was the coolest thing ever... Not sure they were particularly safe though!
 

KT550

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2020
Messages
935
Location
Surrey
Seen today in Worthing:

Triumph Herald, March 1965
Renault Caravelle, July 1968 *** star item; don't recall seeing one before
Toyota Corolla, August 1998
 

Attachments

  • Herald F.jpg
    Herald F.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
  • Herald R.jpg
    Herald R.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
  • Caravelle F.jpg
    Caravelle F.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
  • Caravelle R.jpg
    Caravelle R.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 12
  • Corolla.jpg
    Corolla.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 8

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,189
Location
Elginshire
Did you check whether it had the rear-facing third row of seats in the back?
I remember seeing those when I was a kid, and thinking it was the coolest thing ever... Not sure they were particularly safe though!
I certainly remember Montego estates having those rear-facing seats. Volvo's 2xx estates had them before that, though.

On the subject of third rows of seats, I wouldn't mind having a Peugeot 505 estate. Maybe it's because I was small at the time, but I remember them being absolutely enormous!
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,691
Location
Solihull
Did you check whether it had the rear-facing third row of seats in the back?
I remember seeing those when I was a kid, and thinking it was the coolest thing ever... Not sure they were particularly safe though!
it may have though couldn't really tell from the angle, only the front seats were occupied anyway.
 

Top