• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Older cars you have seen

gpmartin

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2014
Messages
117
Two from a week ago: Mercedes SLC in west London and Fiat Strada in east London.
 

Attachments

  • 20260308_180231.jpg
    20260308_180231.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32
  • 20260307_134048.jpg
    20260307_134048.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 31
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,961
Location
Devon
Two from a week ago: Mercedes SLC in west London and Fiat Strada in east London.

Those Mercs are lovely but the Fiat Strada is a real rarity. I haven’t seen one of those for years.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
Today the susnhine brought out:

A 1983 (Y) Ford Cortina Mk5 GLS in great nick

A 1964 (B) Riley 4 in concors condition
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Those Mercs are lovely but the Fiat Strada is a real rarity. I haven’t seen one of those for years.
Rare as hen's teeth. When I was a kid my aunt had a bright orange one, but I think that might have been the last one I saw in the flesh, in the UK at least. Pretty sure I've seen them on the continent where they were badged as a Ritmo.
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,046
Those Mercs are lovely but the Fiat Strada is a real rarity. I haven’t seen one of those for years.
Weren't Stradas products of the period when Fiat decided that de-rusting the raw steel and applying primer to it was an unnecessary expense? Once they hit British weather and salted winter roads they pretty much dissolved.

Spotted this in a barn in deepest Warwickshire today

View attachment 200316
A bit of T-Cut and it'll come up lovely :lol:
 

KT550

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2020
Messages
935
Location
Surrey
A tidy looking Triumph Herald convertible, first registered July 1963, seen in Tring yesterday.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260314_125604371_HDR (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_20260314_125604371_HDR (1024x768).jpg
    623.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20260314_125639892 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_20260314_125639892 (1024x768).jpg
    697.2 KB · Views: 14

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
A tidy looking Triumph Herald convertible, first registered July 1963, seen in Tring yesterday.

My best friend from school had one exactly like that, which he bought for £300 (in a mess) and restored to as new condtion, and sold for £2k. This was 35 years ago, mind.

Meanwhile today, I saw a cracker. A 1971 (K) Audi 100S. Looked magnificent. But the piston rings needed seeing to (cough!)
 
Last edited:

thejuggler

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2016
Messages
1,655
This little beauty yesterday - a Fiat 600 - driven by the owner of the vintage boutique it was parked outside of who looked to be about 70.

IMG_6379.jpeg
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
1963 Citroën Ami6, A Reg, LHD. Seemed to be used as a daily. My mountain bike has fatter tyres!
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,050
Location
Up the creek
I haven’t previously posted in this thread because it is not something that generally interests me, but today I saw something that harked back to the 1950s films of my youth. On a driveway on the other side of the village was a Wolseley 6/80 police car, complete with two horns above the windscreen. If I read the registration correctly as we passed, it was probably former Devon County or Exeter City Police, so spent its working life pursuing miscreants who put the jam and cream on in the wrong order.
 

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2019
Messages
3,991
Location
Northampton
I haven’t previously posted in this thread because it is not something that generally interests me, but today I saw something that harked back to the 1950s films of my youth. On a driveway on the other side of the village was a Wolseley 6/80 police car, complete with two horns above the windscreen. If I read the registration correctly as we passed, it was probably former Devon County or Exeter City Police, so spent its working life pursuing miscreants who put the jam and cream on in the wrong order.

It can't be that old; it was only in the late 1960s that bells were replaced by two-tone horns.
Inspector Lockhard's* Wolseley on those exciting chases (with ?Johnny Briggs?)
* No Hiding Place, ITV - plain clothes police investigation. Lockheed was addicted to putting stuff up his nose when he was stressed but, spoiler, it was snuff....
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,961
Location
Devon
Devon County or Exeter City Police, so spent its working life pursuing miscreants who put the jam and cream on in the wrong order.

A form of policing that should still be functioning. ;)
 

Hbbz9392

Member
Joined
8 Mar 2026
Messages
91
Location
Europe
Here is a beetle of a nice colour I saw at Istanbul, Kemeraltı Avenue to be exact. The T1 tram line's catenaries and it's grade-separation method can also be seen.

 

D1537

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2019
Messages
2,100
Location
North Yorkshire
Austin Princess this morning on the A19. Can't tell you much more about it (it was on the opposite carriageway) except that it was that quite unpleasant beige-orange colour.
 

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,447
Weren't Stradas products of the period when Fiat decided that de-rusting the raw steel and applying primer to it was an unnecessary expense? Once they hit British weather and salted winter roads they pretty much dissolved.
This was a version of the Fiat Strada advert from Not the Nine O'Clock News
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,050
Location
Up the creek
I did see wandering about the village today a yellow hard-top E-type Jag. The car that was the absolute acme of Ooomph and It when I was young: a phallic symbol on wheels. It could only be afforded by middle-aged businessmen who ricked their backs getting into it and were never going to do anything but disappoint their secretaries.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
I did see wandering about the village today a yellow hard-top E-type Jag. The car that was the absolute acme of Ooomph and It when I was young: a phallic symbol on wheels. It could only be afforded by middle-aged businessmen who ricked their backs getting into it and were never going to do anything but disappoint their secretaries.
Didn't George Best have one?
 
Joined
23 Nov 2023
Messages
786
Location
Grimsby
Seen in Belper, Derbyshire, this must be one of the last Triumph Spitfire 1500's built. On a W plate, first registered 1981 according to the DVLA
 

Attachments

  • IMG20260319111640_01.jpg
    IMG20260319111640_01.jpg
    983.4 KB · Views: 21

Top