• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Older cars you have seen

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
23 Nov 2023
Messages
786
Location
Grimsby
T-suffix (1978) Mini in Grimsby, looks to be a daily driver.
In lovely British Leyland chocolate* brown.

* insert alternative description according to personal taste!
 

LucyP

On Moderation
Joined
17 Jul 2018
Messages
211
It's a fake. Genuine ones had satin chrome round the windows, not shiny chrome. The rear number plate plinth is also incorrect and the steering wheel is a standard Jaguar one not JaguarSport one.
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,757
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
It's a fake. Genuine ones had satin chrome round the windows, not shiny chrome. The rear number plate plinth is also incorrect and the steering wheel is a standard Jaguar one not JaguarSport one.
Interesting. I couldn't detect if the steering wheel was stock or JaguarSport.
Attached pics taken from an XJ40-R ad, linked, found after a very quick internet search - it seems to have bright-chromed window trim.
Post 453's Jag has what looks like after-market infill between rear light clusters; I can't tell what its rear reg-plate plihth was initially.
 

Attachments

  • vehicle_ad_standard_image_16526d673a50b75d4a9706ff0cc7f2f2.jpg
    vehicle_ad_standard_image_16526d673a50b75d4a9706ff0cc7f2f2.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 7
  • vehicle_ad_standard_image_841c74d32e5497925c8ce9ec659d753e.jpg
    vehicle_ad_standard_image_841c74d32e5497925c8ce9ec659d753e.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 7
  • vehicle_ad_standard_image_31cb8da2fd5b0cc72c064dda17d1b86b.jpg
    vehicle_ad_standard_image_31cb8da2fd5b0cc72c064dda17d1b86b.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 7
  • vehicle_ad_standard_image_18c88560341a42b41062e231d8d5c95d.jpg
    vehicle_ad_standard_image_18c88560341a42b41062e231d8d5c95d.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 7

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2012
Messages
1,866
There is a G-reg Rover 214 still in use as someone’s daily driver around where I live, and appropriately for this form it has a Watercress Line sticker in the window.
 

notverydeep

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2014
Messages
1,187
A Morris Minor 'pick up' (H Suffix suggesting late 1969 / early 1970) looking to be in 'used by decent' condition. Seen in the car park at Chedworth Roman Villa, Gloucestershire - which is itself very interesting and well worth a visit and has a decent café...

1771514340117.png
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,691
Location
Solihull
Big old 80s Merc in white passed earlier, reminded me of the limo i had on my wedding day, maybe it was on a similar duty
 

thejuggler

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2016
Messages
1,655
An 'Audifest' couple of days. Two Audi 80s, a 1998 S Cabrio and a 99 V saloon. Then today I had a proper throwback to about 2003/4. I was in the local area passing a barbers I used to go to, back then I'd park my Audi A2 1.4 TDi SE in black in front of the shop and nip in for a haircut.

Today parked outside the same shop, which is no longer a barber, was an Audi A2 1.4 TDi SE in black. Exactly the same as mine apart from the year, mine was a 52, this was a 'Y'. Its the only car I've owned I'd have again tomorrow.
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,073

Attachments

  • 20260221_121417.jpg
    20260221_121417.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20260221_121349.jpg
    20260221_121349.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20260221_121610.jpg
    20260221_121610.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,961
Location
Devon
You forgot to say, Princess Ann owned one, tut, tut!

And something rather interesting in Dorchester a 1959 TVR Grantura, the first TVR model.
Doubt there's many of them around!

Wow. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of those in the flesh.
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,073
Wow. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of those in the flesh.
Just parked up on an industrial estate too!
Thought it was some sort of MG or Triumph before seeing the badge, I had no idea TVR had been around since the late 50's.
 
Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
8,281
I saw an Austin A40 Farina today in Southampton. 2 tone paintwork and rostyle wheels!
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Anne ;)

Specifically, it's a Reliant Scimitar GTE, the "estate" version with a tailgate. The original Scimitar was a two seat coupe.
Strictly speaking the Scimitar GTE is a "shooting brake" like the Volvo 480 or the coupé version of the BMW M3 (aka the "Clown Shoe").
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,046
Strictly speaking the Scimitar GTE is a "shooting brake" like the Volvo 480 or the coupé version of the BMW M3 (aka the "Clown Shoe").
Indeed so, the "Autocar" website has a current feature on 22 such vehicles. A few were series production (like the GTE), others were hand built one-offs. Styling of those can be, err, quirky.


What’s the difference between an estate and a shooting brake?
A lot has been lost in the mists of time and marketing, but the latter has to have some sass to its styling. Practicality isn’t the overriding concern of most shooting brakes, but added load space is certainly handy. Here’s our run-down of the best conversions and factory-fitted fast-back wagons.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Indeed so, the "Autocar" website has a current feature on 22 such vehicles. A few were series production (like the GTE), others were hand built one-offs. Styling of those can be, err, quirky.

I did of course mistakenly type BMW M3 when I meant the Z3! :oops:
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,073
A Triumph Stag with the roof off in Lyme Regis yesterday.
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,757
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
When did you last see a Fiat 126 on the road? This August 1991 UK-registered 650cc example is the Polish-built (FSM Polski) 126p variant.
I spotted it yesterday, after dusk, whilst walking the dog; and earlier this evening found where it "lives". :)
 

Attachments

  • 20260227_173714(1).jpg
    20260227_173714(1).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Top