I suspected that's what your spider sense was telling you. I wonder why the OP should be targeted, or perhaps they tried leaving by some devious means and were spotted.
I do believe i have mentioned several times that i walked out the front door.
I'd really love to know how it is possible to walk out of a station by devious means.
Let us examine Crewe, speaking as a regular-ish passenger there is the front door that has always been there and the perfectly legitimate side entrance leading to the car park - newly opened.
I offer you this little tidbit to slag me off more - if the train alights at platform 5 i go out the side entrance to the car park as it keeps me dry longer - I always enter this way now as it saves me a walk round the corner. If the train alights at platform 6 i go out the front entrance.
Gasp in horror, sometimes if want to go to Tescos i will exit out of the main entrance even if the train stops at Platform 5.
On a usual morning I get a 7am train. On the occasion i was stopped it was -'AGAIN' outside of the train station front entrance where all the smelly smokers stand - i had taken the 8am train, not my usual commute. So, I don't like the cut of your jib either.
And yes Neil Williams, there are indeed legitimate reasons for going into a station other than travel, so why didn't I lie to the Virgin lady that stopped me and just say to her, oh I just dropped in for x, y and z, - as my husband helpfully suggested when I got home????
Perhaps because i was too busy being devious trying to leave by the front door after disguising myself as a toilet for the entire journey.
As it is i have now cancelled my virgintrains online account and will be sure never to purchase a ticket from them again. Just as well the tickets I need to pick up for mid term teaching were booked through cross country. OMG did i just admit to buying tickets in advance?!? Shocker.