I see that 142062 is being "refurbished" at Holbeck, assumingly at Neville Hill or is there a works at Holbeck?
It'd be nice if it comes back in the new livery too! (and yes i know it probably won't before anyone says)
To be fair, we all "knew" this wouldn't happen, and it only went and happened:
View attachment 40717
Let's open the book then...A couple have even been internally refreshed aswell, so I see no reason why Northern can't paint 062 in the new livery and even just do a minor internal refresh
Are you at liberty to disclose who "we" is in this context?We are bidding on angels C4 work for the next seven years 150s 156 and 158 no sign of 142-144
Let's open the book then...
It'll emerge unchanged other than a deep-clean and mechanical overhaul to get another 2 years out of it, and emerge in the new Northern livery. Odds: 5-4
As above, but with interior updated with seats retrimmed in one of the "new" Northern moquettes. Odds: 23-10
Mechanical overhaul, interior refresh as above, but outshopped in a "heritage" livery such as the railbus version of Provincial livery. Odds: 25-1
Disclaimer: This poster is not a bookmaker. All stated odds are made up off the cuff with only basic mathematical understanding of the gambling industry, for satirical reasons. If you can get a real bookmaker to offer bets on the future of this unit, they may differ from those stated above; and quite frankly you're on your own!![]()
Something along the lines of a C4 I guess. Essentially making sure that everything that isn't working as it should is repaired or replaced. As for the seats, the bus benches are less horrible than the Merseytravel ones (I can't recall which seating the unit in question has/had); but any replacement seats would have to either be new seats compliant with current standards; or seats removed from other units which still exist (the seats, not the donor units!).What would you mean by a mechanical overhaul? If anything happens to the seats they should be replaced. My biggest issue with Pacer's is the awful bench seat, more so than the rattling nature. Refreshing the interior but with reupholstered bench seats would be an insult.
Thanks, was just curious as to where you get your detailed information!No but I work in Doncaster lol

May I ask what your job is?Lol I have a great job for a train enthusiast, my office over looks station and I spend large part s of my day on the shop floor amongst trains
062 is a bench seat one. I agree that the Merseytravel ones are the worst. I was on 060 (a bench seater) the other day - it had fresh coverings on some of the seats. Perhaps that's what 062 will get.Something along the lines of a C4 I guess. Essentially making sure that everything that isn't working as it should is repaired or replaced. As for the seats, the bus benches are less horrible than the Merseytravel ones (I can't recall which seating the unit in question has/had); but any replacement seats would have to either be new seats compliant with current standards; or seats removed from other units which still exist (the seats, not the donor units!).
I agree that the Merseytravel ones are the worst.
I often read reference to the Merseyrail 142s on this forum but I'm unaware of what gave them their reputation. I agree that any 142 is horrendous but what gave the Merseyrail ones their special dislike? (Any photos if anybody has an example).
Went on one last Weekend and I was on an Airline style row of 3 and the new cushions were all at different heights giving the effect of a podium!They've been refurbished with seats that are particularly hard and spectacularly the wrong shape. A normal pacer with "bus seats" is like the Orient Express in comparison.
I often read reference to the Merseyrail 142s on this forum but I'm unaware of what gave them their reputation. I agree that any 142 is horrendous but what gave the Merseyrail ones their special dislike? (Any photos if anybody has an example).
I believe it's because some items are funded by the leasing company and some like repaints by the TOC. This can result in a unit being dismantled twice.With the PRM mods for the Class 158's that are being carried out at Loughborough, can someone tell me why they are fitting those ugly dot-matrix boards and no aren't repainting them?
You're being rather gentle there!They've been refurbished with seats that are particularly hard and spectacularly the wrong shape. A normal pacer with "bus seats" is like the Orient Express in comparison.
You're being rather gentle there!
It doesn't help that whatever small amount of padding was in those seats has been supercompressed by a quarter-century of buttocks/boots/bags. If it was coal when it was put in, it'd be diamond now!
The seating arrangement is poor too (aside of the appalling legroom) with pretty much every seat in an airline configuration. No central bay as on the benched ones, nor the "observation bay" opposite the inner door of the DMS as found on 144s (except 012) and as was on the 142s as built.
For younger (than me) forum members, the Merseytravel seats might also be seen as "bus seats", as they're similar to seats found on many buses from the mid-90s to mid-2000s.
Remember that was in mid 2017 and we are now at the end of 2017 and it won't be out untill 2018. If it needs a repaint, it'll probably come out in all-over white.To be fair, we all "knew" this wouldn't happen, and it only went and happened:
View attachment 40717
On the 150s angel pay for the prm Work and corrosion repairs , northern pay to repaint the unit , when doing the c6 work on them angel would pay for any internal damage that is caused through normal wear and tear but angel won’t pay for vandalism as it’s up to northern to make sure vandalism doesn’t happenI believe it's because some items are funded by the leasing company and some like repaints by the TOC. This can result in a unit being dismantled twice.
Perhaps someone can provide a list as to who's responsible for what.
K
What about moquette of previous 'refurbs'. Are there any Pacers going around where the base cushion of a certain seat has the new plain moquette like several 158's?Holbeck have been doing “refurb” work on 142s for a few years now and none have come out in the new livery yet so I can’t say I see this one being any different
I’m just thankful it isn’t the 150/1s staying insteadTo be fair, we all "knew" this wouldn't happen, and it only went and happened:
View attachment 40717
Thank you interesting.On the 150s angel pay for the prm Work and corrosion repairs , northern pay to repaint the unit , when doing the c6 work on them angel would pay for any internal damage that is caused through normal wear and tear but angel won’t pay for vandalism as it’s up to northern to make sure vandalism doesn’t happen
If it's just random cushions, it'll most likely be the result of replacement/repair as and when needed.What about moquette of previous 'refurbs'. Are there any Pacers going around where the base cushion of a certain seat has the new plain moquette like several 158's?
![]()
Northern pay for the refresh at Crewe , angel pay for the train fx pis systemThank you interesting.
Do northern pay for seat refurbishment and/or the pis system?
Is it same for other classes?
K
Would it be true to say the refurb work is paid for and done by northern staff but the lots of corrosion repair is financed by the leasing company.Holbeck have been doing “refurb” work on 142s for a few years now and none have come out in the new livery yet so I can’t say I see this one being any different