• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments and depot allocations.

superalbs

Verified Rep - Superalbs Travels
Joined
3 Jul 2014
Messages
2,863
Location
Kraków
I see that 142062 is being "refurbished" at Holbeck, assumingly at Neville Hill or is there a works at Holbeck?
It'd be nice if it comes back in the new livery too! (and yes i know it probably won't before anyone says)
To be fair, we all "knew" this wouldn't happen, and it only went and happened:
upload_2017-12-21_19-46-41.png
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

boeing737229

Member
Joined
7 Apr 2017
Messages
62
A couple have even been internally refreshed aswell, so I see no reason why Northern can't paint 062 in the new livery and even just do a minor internal refresh
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
I see that 142062 is being "refurbished" at Holbeck, assumingly at Neville Hill or is there a works at Holbeck?
It'd be nice if it comes back in the new livery too! (and yes i know it probably won't before anyone says)

To be fair, we all "knew" this wouldn't happen, and it only went and happened:
View attachment 40717

A couple have even been internally refreshed aswell, so I see no reason why Northern can't paint 062 in the new livery and even just do a minor internal refresh
Let's open the book then...

It'll emerge unchanged other than a deep-clean and mechanical overhaul to get another 2 years out of it, and emerge in the new Northern livery. Odds: 5-4

As above, but with interior updated with seats retrimmed in one of the "new" Northern moquettes. Odds: 23-10

Mechanical overhaul, interior refresh as above, but outshopped in a "heritage" livery such as the railbus version of Provincial livery. Odds: 25-1



Disclaimer: This poster is not a bookmaker. All stated odds are made up off the cuff with only basic mathematical understanding of the gambling industry, for satirical reasons. If you can get a real bookmaker to offer bets on the future of this unit, they may differ from those stated above; and quite frankly you're on your own! ;)
 

BigCj34

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2016
Messages
793
Let's open the book then...

It'll emerge unchanged other than a deep-clean and mechanical overhaul to get another 2 years out of it, and emerge in the new Northern livery. Odds: 5-4

As above, but with interior updated with seats retrimmed in one of the "new" Northern moquettes. Odds: 23-10

Mechanical overhaul, interior refresh as above, but outshopped in a "heritage" livery such as the railbus version of Provincial livery. Odds: 25-1



Disclaimer: This poster is not a bookmaker. All stated odds are made up off the cuff with only basic mathematical understanding of the gambling industry, for satirical reasons. If you can get a real bookmaker to offer bets on the future of this unit, they may differ from those stated above; and quite frankly you're on your own! ;)

What would you mean by a mechanical overhaul? If anything happens to the seats they should be replaced. My biggest issue with Pacer's is the awful bench seat, more so than the rattling nature. Refreshing the interior but with reupholstered bench seats would be an insult.
 

brel york

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2011
Messages
653
Location
the plant
I can’t see northern spending any money on these apart from what’s required,I think they do their own C4 work at newton heath , cheaper option than paying more to lease the unit and Angel arrange the C4
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
What would you mean by a mechanical overhaul? If anything happens to the seats they should be replaced. My biggest issue with Pacer's is the awful bench seat, more so than the rattling nature. Refreshing the interior but with reupholstered bench seats would be an insult.
Something along the lines of a C4 I guess. Essentially making sure that everything that isn't working as it should is repaired or replaced. As for the seats, the bus benches are less horrible than the Merseytravel ones (I can't recall which seating the unit in question has/had); but any replacement seats would have to either be new seats compliant with current standards; or seats removed from other units which still exist (the seats, not the donor units!).
 

brel york

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2011
Messages
653
Location
the plant
Lol I have a great job for a train enthusiast, my office over looks station and I spend large part s of my day on the shop floor amongst trains
 

Malay States

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2017
Messages
56
Something along the lines of a C4 I guess. Essentially making sure that everything that isn't working as it should is repaired or replaced. As for the seats, the bus benches are less horrible than the Merseytravel ones (I can't recall which seating the unit in question has/had); but any replacement seats would have to either be new seats compliant with current standards; or seats removed from other units which still exist (the seats, not the donor units!).
062 is a bench seat one. I agree that the Merseytravel ones are the worst. I was on 060 (a bench seater) the other day - it had fresh coverings on some of the seats. Perhaps that's what 062 will get.
 

Karl

On Moderation
Joined
16 Aug 2011
Messages
710
Location
Bamber Bridge
I agree that the Merseytravel ones are the worst.

I often read reference to the Merseyrail 142s on this forum but I'm unaware of what gave them their reputation. I agree that any 142 is horrendous but what gave the Merseyrail ones their special dislike? (Any photos if anybody has an example).
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,433
Location
Yorks
I often read reference to the Merseyrail 142s on this forum but I'm unaware of what gave them their reputation. I agree that any 142 is horrendous but what gave the Merseyrail ones their special dislike? (Any photos if anybody has an example).

They've been refurbished with seats that are particularly hard and spectacularly the wrong shape. A normal pacer with "bus seats" is like the Orient Express in comparison.
 

Halish Railway

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2017
Messages
2,177
Location
West Yorkshire / Birmingham
They've been refurbished with seats that are particularly hard and spectacularly the wrong shape. A normal pacer with "bus seats" is like the Orient Express in comparison.
Went on one last Weekend and I was on an Airline style row of 3 and the new cushions were all at different heights giving the effect of a podium!
 

driver_m

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2011
Messages
2,248
I often read reference to the Merseyrail 142s on this forum but I'm unaware of what gave them their reputation. I agree that any 142 is horrendous but what gave the Merseyrail ones their special dislike? (Any photos if anybody has an example).

Imagine going for a parents evening at a primary school, sitting on one of the kids chairs with about the same leg room in front as tucking under one of the tables. That should give you the idea.;)
 

superkev

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2015
Messages
2,871
Location
west yorkshire
With the PRM mods for the Class 158's that are being carried out at Loughborough, can someone tell me why they are fitting those ugly dot-matrix boards and no aren't repainting them?
I believe it's because some items are funded by the leasing company and some like repaints by the TOC. This can result in a unit being dismantled twice.
Perhaps someone can provide a list as to who's responsible for what.
K
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
They've been refurbished with seats that are particularly hard and spectacularly the wrong shape. A normal pacer with "bus seats" is like the Orient Express in comparison.
You're being rather gentle there! ;)

It doesn't help that whatever small amount of padding was in those seats has been supercompressed by a quarter-century of buttocks/boots/bags. If it was coal when it was put in, it'd be diamond now!
The seating arrangement is poor too (aside of the appalling legroom) with pretty much every seat in an airline configuration. No central bay as on the benched ones, nor the "observation bay" opposite the inner door of the DMS as found on 144s (except 012) and as was on the 142s as built.

For younger (than me) forum members, the Merseytravel seats might also be seen as "bus seats", as they're similar to seats found on many buses from the mid-90s to mid-2000s.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,433
Location
Yorks
You're being rather gentle there! ;)

It doesn't help that whatever small amount of padding was in those seats has been supercompressed by a quarter-century of buttocks/boots/bags. If it was coal when it was put in, it'd be diamond now!
The seating arrangement is poor too (aside of the appalling legroom) with pretty much every seat in an airline configuration. No central bay as on the benched ones, nor the "observation bay" opposite the inner door of the DMS as found on 144s (except 012) and as was on the 142s as built.

For younger (than me) forum members, the Merseytravel seats might also be seen as "bus seats", as they're similar to seats found on many buses from the mid-90s to mid-2000s.

The seat backs are also particularly bad - absolutely no support whatsoever.
 

brel york

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2011
Messages
653
Location
the plant
I believe it's because some items are funded by the leasing company and some like repaints by the TOC. This can result in a unit being dismantled twice.
Perhaps someone can provide a list as to who's responsible for what.
K
On the 150s angel pay for the prm Work and corrosion repairs , northern pay to repaint the unit , when doing the c6 work on them angel would pay for any internal damage that is caused through normal wear and tear but angel won’t pay for vandalism as it’s up to northern to make sure vandalism doesn’t happen
 

Crossforth

Established Member
Joined
20 Aug 2009
Messages
1,337
Location
Lancashire
Holbeck have been doing “refurb” work on 142s for a few years now and none have come out in the new livery yet so I can’t say I see this one being any different
 

Halish Railway

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2017
Messages
2,177
Location
West Yorkshire / Birmingham
Holbeck have been doing “refurb” work on 142s for a few years now and none have come out in the new livery yet so I can’t say I see this one being any different
What about moquette of previous 'refurbs'. Are there any Pacers going around where the base cushion of a certain seat has the new plain moquette like several 158's?
dateposted-public
 
Last edited:

superkev

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2015
Messages
2,871
Location
west yorkshire
On the 150s angel pay for the prm Work and corrosion repairs , northern pay to repaint the unit , when doing the c6 work on them angel would pay for any internal damage that is caused through normal wear and tear but angel won’t pay for vandalism as it’s up to northern to make sure vandalism doesn’t happen
Thank you interesting.
Do northern pay for seat refurbishment and/or the pis system?
Is it same for other classes?
K
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
What about moquette of previous 'refurbs'. Are there any Pacers going around where the base cushion of a certain seat has the new plain moquette like several 158's?
dateposted-public
If it's just random cushions, it'll most likely be the result of replacement/repair as and when needed.
 

superkev

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2015
Messages
2,871
Location
west yorkshire
Holbeck have been doing “refurb” work on 142s for a few years now and none have come out in the new livery yet so I can’t say I see this one being any different
Would it be true to say the refurb work is paid for and done by northern staff but the lots of corrosion repair is financed by the leasing company.
K
 

Top