hairyhandedfool
Established Member
- Joined
- 14 Apr 2008
- Messages
- 8,837
Maybe they should make all the passengers wear hi-viz so we don't bump in to each other.
Don't give them ideas!
Maybe they should make all the passengers wear hi-viz so we don't bump in to each other.
I have to say, this is something that irritates me on the 319s. The train to "Manchester Air"! The destination at least should be written out in full even if some of the longer intermediate stations are abbreviated.
That's also false advertising unless the train can fly![]()
Next set is booked to Kilmarnock in the morning, 04.55 from Neville Hill via Hexham.RailcamUK have tweeted an image of 158754 on delivery back to northern with old new style "Northern" and old coloured "n"
Next set is booked to Kilmarnock in the morning, 04.55 from Neville Hill via Hexham.
158753 going back by all accounts. This has already had stage 1 refurbishment so not sure why it's going back
The 2 car tbc aren't included in the December 2019 train plan as they aren't required to be in service until 2022, so that's an error of 36. The last batch of 195s and 331s will arrive during 2020 so that might be where the numbers don't add up if everything else is correct.
Hmm, well the figures are for May 2020. 338 units across diesel and electric. My figures for the EMUs were bang on. Would imply that three 2-car DMUs aren't arriving until later in 2020. And in fact our transformation page seems to indicate that as it's showing 98 new trains + 243 upgraded trains: https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/corporate/transformation. If I had to guess, I'd say that means some of the cascade continues after May 2020
I'm sure this has been mentioned some where already but that isn't much of an improvement on what they have now surely??
Well the eventual total number of carriages is 925 which is about 150 up on the current total we have (excluding sub-leased ones) - getting on towards a 20% increase. Plus all of those carriages will be to a much higher standard and 98 will have a greater capacity
I'm not here to cheerlead the company, but realistically I think it's about as good as it's going to get out of the current system
319/769 32 4 car trains =128 carriages
...
331 31 3 car trains = 93
331 12 4 car trains = 48
Got a question about carriage numbers - given that some of you seem to know more about this than us, thought it'd be worth asking
So by me, we're going to have 612 non-flex DMU carriages
2-car 150 - 56 = 112
3-car 150 - 18 = 54 (including 24 2-car 150s reformed into 3-car)
2-car 155 - 7 = 14
2-car 156 - 47 = 94
2-car 158 - 45 = 90
3-car 158 - 8 = 24
3-car 170 - 16 = 48
2-car 195 - 25 = 50
3-car 195 - 30 = 90
2-car tbc - 18 = 36
(Losing 158 142 carriages, 56 144 carriages and 18 153s)
However, the official figure for the number of carriages by 2020 is 572 (with the total being 885 including EMUs and Flex). Obviously that's a difference of 40
Where am I going wrong?
My personal concern is with the number of diesel units, since electrification is not compulsory, but the withdrawal of the large fleet of Pacers is. Now, I have just done some quick calculations based on the original fleet cascade chart from 2016. I have counted 277 diesel units in the current fleet, including three hired in 185's and two loco hauled rakes. Going over the figures in the second column, for 2020, shows a headline grabbing increase in the number of carriages, but only 258 diesel units, and that's counting 8 769 bi-modes. This appears to be a net loss of 19 complete self powered trains!
Now, this would be fine for a no growth franchise. Except, this franchise is promising a massive increase in service levels. In particular, it seems that most, if not all of the 55 new diesel units will be kept exclusively for a brand-new longer distance service. I mean, we have already tried putting 51 brand-new units on the existing long-distance service, but any cascade caused by the 185's obviously wasn't enough to replace a single Pacer. Neither did 27 175s, or more than 100 Turbostars! So how can 55 trains on a brand-new service do the trick?
I believe my local area plans to rely entirely on 156s. However, services are still predominantly 142 operated, and Northern is only receiving five extra 156s. Good trains, but they are no longer manufactured.
I still say, what we need was never new flagship trains. We need direct pacer replacements.
150136 is in new livery as of today (09/08)
Well the eventual total number of carriages is 925 which is about 150 up on the current total we have (excluding sub-leased ones) - getting on towards a 20% increase. Plus all of those carriages will be to a much higher standard and 98 will have a greater capacity
I'm not here to cheerlead the company, but realistically I think it's about as good as it's going to get out of the current system
Don't forget with completion of North West electrification the number of Diesel routes will decrease, so some EMU's replace DMU's, TPE will take over Northern Local services on the North TPE route, some current services worked in pairs my go to a single 2 or 3 carriage train in combination in some cases with a more frequent service, and such as the 158+Dogbox I was on a few weeks ago may get replaced by a single 3 Car train.
How's the North West electrification going? There's not much time before the Pacers have to go.
Rather than the additional expense of making Class 153 PRM compliant or costly conversion back to 2-car Class 155, why can't the 18 x Class 153 just be operated in 1x156+1x153 formation increasing a 2-car to a 3-car unit when additional capacity is required ? In some cases, the Class 153 only being added at peak times.
So long as the Class 156 is PRM compliant, surely this would be sufficient not to require changes to the Class 153 ?
158753 going back by all accounts. This has already had stage 1 refurbishment so not sure why it's going back
I believe my local area plans to rely entirely on 156s. Good trains, but they are no longer manufactured.
I still say, what we need was never new flagship trains. We need direct pacer replacements.
If anything involving 153s was to happen, more likely would be retaining 7 in order to extend the 155s to 3-car I'd have thought. Admittedly for mostly aesthetic reasons, mind!
In that case, AFAIK the 153 vehicle would not need any modifications to work with a compliant unit, though the only way it could work alone in service (due to a fault on said compliant unit, for example) would be with the existing small toilet locked out or removed. In that case I assume it would be in contravention of the Northern franchise agreement in any case.
Sandwiching it in the middle of a unit would be more likely, with the cab desks deactivated and possibly the "new" cab removed.