• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail - Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2010
Messages
2,662
I think this banter looks really healthy and makes for a fun work place. I'll stand firmly behind anorthernguard though and say Picc is better.......For reasons I'm yet to understand mind and hoping he'll have change for a brew!!! ;)

35p I have Coffee all in lol
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
All the routes we sign, all the traction we sign, the variety in routes we do week-in week-out, some excellent characters in the messroom, where theres always a welcome, and excellent station staff who work under imensse pressure when times are hard, i.e kicking out time in the Arena.

Picc crew live and thrive, on "the beauty of their station" - ***yawn***, we are here to work out of the station, not to admire its "plastic beauty" <D<D<D

ooooo more like our routes

Kerchiiing

Stoke

Crewe

Sheffield

Chester

all money runs (if your willing to kick buttski and ignore the dreaded G4)

Just keep your head down on the Hadfields & Liverpool (safety first)

I have to hand it to Vic's staff tho when the Arena empties it isn't fun but as the real nutters go to Picc (football) we have our fair share
 

175001

On Moderation
Joined
3 Feb 2007
Messages
1,360
Location
Between Heaven and Hell
I'd like to do Chester (takes me closer to home) and the Hope Valley, but I do enjoy trundling along the calder vale in a 158, and Southport on a summers afternoon is mint
 

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,569
35p I have Coffee all in lol

35p?! I refuse to pay more than 30p for a vending machine brew. The brew machine at Vic is pretty good as vending machines go. Mind you, I rarely go anywhere without a can of hot water and other brewing gear in my traps :)
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Piccadilly was 35p two years ago. Dread to imagine now. :roll:

Vic? I used to scald myself carrying coffee out when I used to work the Calder Valleys - it always overfilled them and I'd get my Northern Spirit white shirts filthy :(
 

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2010
Messages
2,662
Piccadilly was 35p two years ago. Dread to imagine now. :roll:

Vic? I used to scald myself carrying coffee out when I used to work the Calder Valleys - it always overfilled them and I'd get my Northern Spirit white shirts filthy :(

Still 35p A higher class Coffee has a higher price lol <D
 

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,569
Vacancies now posted for Guard at Sheffield and a Depot driver at Blackpool North.
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Blackpool North job is on Enfield Road Depot - all nights, but is £29K.

Pretty boring job but pays well.
 

Equestrianlad

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2012
Messages
16
I have just applied for the trainee driver position in leeds and the conductor position in sheffield, can anyone help answer a question i have about the shifts.

Roughly how many days do you work per week and how long are the shifts?

Any info would be much appreciated
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Most shifts 8/9/10 hrs. 35 hr week average over the year. Can be almost right round the clock, especially the driving grade. Sundays outside the working week for guard job, so money will be better than stated esp with comission. Lot of time off too. Get used to working your weekends though.
 

Beveridges

Established Member
Joined
8 Sep 2010
Messages
2,136
Location
BLACKPOOL
Blackpool driver Opp isn't really boring it's just the nights. Dirty as well. Be prepared to fuel, 2 nights in 5 are front side or back side fuelling, also 1 night in 5 you are in the office in charge of the sdgs
 

Equestrianlad

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2012
Messages
16
Many thanks for that information I currently work shifts now and enjoy having diffferent times off so fingers crossed with this application.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyone any ideas how the Rota / rosters work how far in advance do you know what your working? How much is overtime payments
 

Geeves

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2009
Messages
2,640
Location
Rochdale
Have you escaped Newton Heath now Beveridges?

All railway safety critical employees come under the so called 'Hidden' rules i.e - maximum shift time of 12 hours and 12 hours between each shift. Maximum amount of hours per week is 72 hours. Maximum of 13 days on with 1 day off required. Its extremely unlikely as a driver you will ever hit those rules. Guards can and do get close. Station staff generally get a nice "H" appearing on the roster!

I can only speak for station staff but as there are 16 members of staff we have 16 different shifts. You generally know what you will be working the week before and the pattern justs goes round and round.
 
Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,569
Anyone any ideas how the Rota / rosters work how far in advance do you know what your working? How much is overtime payments

Links (roster) are posted before each change to the timetable, usually around 2 weeks before they begin. Any further alterations, such as being moved to a duty from spare would be a few days notice. There are strict rules governing the movement of crew marked spare so don't worry, you can't be 06:00 Spare and get a 17:00 book on. Your rest days will be set out in the link enabling you to plan ahead.
 

thomas69

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2012
Messages
31
I have noticed 2 Driver jobs have come up with Northern on the website, one for limes street and one for Blackpool. I cant work out if it is for a trainee driver or for one that is already qualified. Does anyone have any idea? Many Thanks :)
 

LCC106

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2011
Messages
1,490
Wow thomas69, 7 new jobs added today! http://www.northern.engageats.co.uk/ Looking at the job descriptions, the 9 - 12 month training programmes suggests trainee roles to me, but you may wish to check with the TOC. Good luck all - a real variety of jobs there for you to pick from.
 

thomas69

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2012
Messages
31
Thanks guys, just wanted to check...
What happens if you apply for them and you get interviews etc? Will one interview cover both vacancies and will they choose which depot to base you at? :)
 

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,569
They are separate vacancies. One interview will not cover both depots, as stated on the website Northern allow a 60 minute commute so bear that in mind.
 

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,569
Can anyone confirm what is the % of salary given for shift allowance for drivers?

There isn't a shift allowance. Ex-FNW depots recieve an enhancment for working Sunday which is outside the working week. Both Lime St and Blackpool are ex FNW.
 
Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
Joined
19 Apr 2008
Messages
4,164
Location
Crewe
Can anyone confirm what is the % of salary given for shift allowance for drivers?

You only usually get a shift allowance for Sundays and some depots in London give you a type of London Weighting
 

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,569
Just in case no one has spotted it, there is a Guards vacancy posted for Blackpool North.
 

deltabravo

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2011
Messages
137
If its of anybodys interest, I was offered the role of Train Presentation Operative and I start this Sunday!

I'm very happy about this, as I believe it is a good entry-level role and I intend to work very hard :)

Thanks to those on this forum who gave me advice and my own advice to those looking for work is to never give up. I was rejected several times by Northern, but I never gave up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top