• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 331 East:West unit swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,889
They are, only Bingley is currently fully open.
Trains heading towards Shipley are now stopping further down the platform.

We should have less faff next time Carlisle send down a 5-car combo on the first S&C service in the morning.
 

Allwinter_Kit

Member
Joined
12 Jul 2017
Messages
218
Kirkstall Forge has still not been extended at all. They haven't even started it there yet.
I'm still not sure what random lottery system they used to ascertain where SDO and full extensions would be used.

Idiotic question but how was it decided which platforms would be lengthened and which would be SDO'd? Was it just on peak time patronage or....?

EDIT: I was rattling down Airedale on a 3 car sprinter this morning and it made me repeat this thought. As an example from when I was staring out the window this morning and pondering this:

Steeton and Silsden - not being changed, so presumably SDO on the 2x3 car 331s
Keighley - long enough already
Crossflatts- presumably SDO? (Unless I've missed extension works there)
Bingley - being extended

So are the extensions only at the ones that are served by the semi-fasts? But they're also the trains that aren't being lengthened given they're diesel through to Bentham/Carlisle lines!

I just wondered. Apologies if off-topic.
I mean Kirkstall Forge's main calls being on the Bradford Forster Square services rather then the Skipton services (as I understand it) would mean that the extension there is only for a 1 train an hour? Surely SDO would be enough given it's still mainly just 1 office block, a car park and a footpath nearby (although I think the houses will be coming along shortly).
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,892
I'm still not sure what random lottery system they used to ascertain where SDO and full extensions would be used.


I mean Kirkstall Forge's main calls being on the Bradford Forster Square services rather then the Skipton services (as I understand it) would mean that the extension there is only for a 1 train an hour? Surely SDO would be enough given it's still mainly just 1 office block, a car park and a footpath nearby (although I think the houses will be coming along shortly).
They are extending Kirkstall Forge. It's just been delayed by 'negotiations' with a 'local landowner'.
 

reecestrains

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2023
Messages
384
Location
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I'm still not sure what random lottery system they used to ascertain where SDO and full extensions would be used.


I mean Kirkstall Forge's main calls being on the Bradford Forster Square services rather then the Skipton services (as I understand it) would mean that the extension there is only for a 1 train an hour? Surely SDO would be enough given it's still mainly just 1 office block, a car park and a footpath nearby (although I think the houses will be coming along shortly).
2 trains an hour going to Bradford F Sq, a few services a day going towards Skipton and none of Ilkley, Morecambe and Carlisle services call at Kirkstall Forge.

It's one an hour on Sunday's though for the Bradford F Sq services.
 

JRT

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2020
Messages
385
Location
Bradford
Kirkstall Forge has still not been extended at all. They haven't even started it there yet.
Do they really need an extension at Kirkstall Forge? The Leeds – Skipton train has only one peak call each way, plus the evening trains and none on Sundays?
 

Allwinter_Kit

Member
Joined
12 Jul 2017
Messages
218
Yeah, so two longer trains a day merit a platform extension, yet 2 longer trains an hour at other stations doesn't? I just wish I knew the logic!
 

Adam0984

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2014
Messages
1,213
Yesterday (sunday) they were digging the newly laid surface up on the Guiseley platform extensions both sides
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,892
Note that 331/0 diagrams for Mon-Fri from Dec tt change seem to indicate AN 21, NL 10. Currently there are AN 22, NL 9 allocations. Is there an imminent move in the offing for (presume) 331010 which is in use today on the west side??
No idea when the move will happen but there is a requirement for an additional 331/0 on the East for training purposes, so one will move across earlier than the rest. Don't know which unit it will be however.
 

47434

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2018
Messages
187
Or keeping quiet about the downgrade from 2+2 seating with tables and armrests to 3+2 seating.
My guess is passengers would prefer to be able to board the train rather than worry about a downgrade. Granted, less comfy for plenty including myself.
 

reecestrains

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2023
Messages
384
Location
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Path on Tuesday Allerton to Neville Hill
Which unit is this? 331010 or a different one?
 

Adam0984

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2014
Messages
1,213
I'd imagine it'll be 010 considering we've got 001 to 009 in the east
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,889
Thank you both for the gen.

I'll be in Leeds, so will try and stand next to the office window at the appropriate moment.
 

Adam0984

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2014
Messages
1,213
333007 going to Doncaster West Yard tonight so assuming driver training must be starting on Monday for Doncaster Crew
 

Adam0984

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2014
Messages
1,213
Who knows you might see 333s sneaking onto the Doncaster line once enough drivers (and conductors) sign them as they'll be much easier to put on when you most people can crew them
 

diligentdave

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2007
Messages
443
0N36​
07:47​
Derby RTC​
Allerton TMD​
10:39​
37510​
-​
-​
Northern​
5Q17​
11:20​
Allerton TMD​
Neville HIll T&RSMD​
14:05​
37510​
-​
331010​
Northern​
0M57​
16:25​
Neville HIll T&RSMD​
Derby RTC​
18:19​
37510​
-​
-​
Northern​
 

Harvey B

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2019
Messages
1,241
No idea when the move will happen but there is a requirement for an additional 331/0 on the East for training purposes, so one will move across earlier than the rest. Don't know which unit it will be however.
Does anyone know what the final number of 331s on the Leeds side will end up being?
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,892
333007 is still sat in Doncaster West Yard from what I'm aware.
It's there for training, so will probably be used for static training and ECS runs as required.

Due to the additional unit out of action the additional 331/0 is required - that is why the additional one is moving over early.
 

reecestrains

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2023
Messages
384
Location
Leeds, West Yorkshire
It's there for training, so will probably be used for static training and ECS runs as required.

Due to the additional unit out of action the additional 331/0 is required - that is why the additional one is moving over early.
Thank you for confirming. Let's hope 331010 gets over without issue.

I still remember last year they were having significant problems with 331107...
 

3973EXL

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2017
Messages
2,741
5Q17 dep Allerton 93 late

RR Edge Hill - just arrived back on Allerton 1458
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top