A bit of an underhand comment picking on location.
I've used the Manchester ZAP a few times this week, thanks to being on a client site there and staying in Leeds. And I honestly (the whole truth) have never been on a service which is busy:
- Tuesday (7:30 from Leeds) - 4 people on the bus
- Tuesday (4:05 from Manchester) - 6 people on the bus
- Wednesday (7:30 from Leeds) - 3 people on the bus
- Wednesday (17:15 from Manchester) - 5 people on the bus
- Friday (8:15 from Leeds) - 4 people on the bus
- Friday (17:15 from Manchester) - 8 people on the bus
- Saturday (2:30 from Leeds) -5 people on the bus
- Since I stayed in Manchester through to the evening, I've booked the train back since the ZAP knocks off ridiculously early.
And you pass one or two ZAPs on the way, which I've never seen full. From what I've seen, it isn't that busy. I appreciate there are pictures of full buses, and maybe I'm just using the anomaly services (middle of day services may be busier with concessionary passengers). But Transdev are continuing, months on, to give away free tickets outside rail stations, and £1 ticket vouchers in the Metro etc. which makes me feel like maybe the service isn't quite as well used as they'd like. It's probably not the cheapest to run. Issues for me were the journey time (not Transdev's fault but traffic into Manchester in the morning is absolutely dreadful), and the last journey too soon.