• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Piccadilly to get ticket gates

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag51ruk

Member
Joined
29 Oct 2014
Messages
629
The glass wall at Piccadilly is finally being dismantled for this work, with sections missing between platforms 3 and 8 today
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
I don't really agree - access to Metrolink is on the concourse. I don't see why you couldn't just put barriers in the glass wall all the way along.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


I wonder why they're doing that? I had expected a single line of barriers under the departure board rather than per-platform and not doing 16-18; as most of the time only one VT is boarding at once it isn't going to save staff over the manual approach currently used. That said, commuters who like arriving in 16-18 and proceeding unimpeded through the side gate (me included) will no doubt be pleased - when it was closed for security reasons during the Olympics (now reopened) it was a nightmare getting out up the narrow ramp, so maybe that's why.

Or is 16-18 not considered worth it as it'll not be open much longer before being closed for HS2 redevelopment?



Preston would be very hard to do because of its layout without impeding what is de-facto the main entrance (Fishergate).

The lift in the Platform 13/14 "Satellite Lounge" goes down to Platform 12, and then down again to street level on Fairfield Street, by the far end of the taxi rank. One can leave the Metrolink station via the Ashton-end exit onto Fairfield St and then reach Platforms 12-14 by using this lift - a slightly shorter walk than via the main Metrolink entrance onto the station concourse.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,720
Location
Nottingham
.....but only if they do something about that footbridge...<(

When somebody checks the number of tickets sold between Ardwick and Piccadilly, they will probably conclude that with all those people using it the footbridge structure will be overloaded, and close it on safety grounds...
 
Last edited:

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
They have started removing the glass at Manchester Piccadilly ready for the installation of ticket gates.

Its a strange situation though as its managed by Network Rail the individual TOCs are responsible for ticket checks which means they are responsible for installing the ticket gates on the platforms they normally use.
 

tom1649

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
990
I'm not looking forward to Piccadilly concourse becoming a wind tunnel again like it was before the glass was put in. It was always bitterly cold in winter.

Doesn't restricting TOCs to certain platforms reduce flexibility in times of disruption? Are any trains booked to use Platform 12? I've never seen it used.
 
Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
Are they also gating (or blocking off) the walkways between pairs of platforms i.e. between the buffer stops and the glass wall? Otherwise you just walk sideways and exit through the next set of glass doors!

Similarly are they gating various sections of the London end footbridge?

The proposals seems somewhat disjointed / uncoordinated. One TOC doing what is required of it by its franchise agreement, to the letter, seemingly without considering the bigger picture.

If you alight a 9 coach Pendolino exactly between first and standard class you are right by the London end footbridge anyway, just saying ;) I know this as a result of tight connections between Virgin and TPE services from 13/14.

The current 'lift loophole' replaces the former 'stair loophole'. The entrance via steps to Fairfield Street, unmanned on the rare occasions I used it, off-peak, many years ago. Not to avoid having purchasing a ticket I add, merely because I was heading in that direction. Such is the change in the intervening years that I remember feeling guilty for using this entrance and not having my ticket checked!
 

andyb2706

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2013
Messages
747
Location
Manchester
I have to agree it does sound all a bit disjointed planning. One TOC wants to do this another one doesn't. It's a bit of a farce if you ask me.

Perhaps the easiest way to have done it is that the company that manages the station (in this case Network Rail) should pay to install the barriers on the station and then split the bill between the TOC's? Or am I just talking common sense there?

I'm not looking forward to a chilly concourse too.
 

ag51ruk

Member
Joined
29 Oct 2014
Messages
629
Are they also gating (or blocking off) the walkways between pairs of platforms i.e. between the buffer stops and the glass wall? Otherwise you just walk sideways and exit through the next set of glass doors!

Similarly are they gating various sections of the London end footbridge?

The proposals seems somewhat disjointed / uncoordinated. One TOC doing what is required of it by its franchise agreement, to the letter, seemingly without considering the bigger picture.

If you alight a 9 coach Pendolino exactly between first and standard class you are right by the London end footbridge anyway, just saying ;) I know this as a result of tight connections between Virgin and TPE services from 13/14.

The current 'lift loophole' replaces the former 'stair loophole'. The entrance via steps to Fairfield Street, unmanned on the rare occasions I used it, off-peak, many years ago. Not to avoid having purchasing a ticket I add, merely because I was heading in that direction. Such is the change in the intervening years that I remember feeling guilty for using this entrance and not having my ticket checked!

The plans showed gates to stop you moving over to other platforms (same type of arrangement as Paddington) - they may also do the same on the footbridge but that wasn't included in the planning application.

I believe that either Northern or TPE had gating the remaining platforms as one of their franchise commitments, so that should follow.

Northern have been cracking down on the "lift loophole" with more regular checks at the street entrance (some by plain clothes inspectors)
 

BurtonM

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2014
Messages
982
Location
Manchester
The lift also stops on P12 which isn't barriered, as I found out once trying to get on a P12 Airport stopper by going through the 13/14 door. Slightly riskier, considering the proximity to the ticket Stasi though.
 

Cletus

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2010
Messages
2,399
Location
Dover
Saw this tweet from Virgin at the weekend.

Automatic ticket gates are coming to @NetworkRailMAN starting August 16th, keep an eye out! #GateExpectations
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
The lift also stops on P12 which isn't barriered, as I found out once trying to get on a P12 Airport stopper by going through the 13/14 door. Slightly riskier, considering the proximity to the ticket Stasi though.

RPIs usually appear at the platform 12 doors when a train arrives but departing passengers don't usually get their tickets checked.
 

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
28206017183_42a968e8ce_c.jpg
28206107593_0c20ba717e_c.jpg%5B


I think theres a sheet of glass to go in where the yellow tape barrier is but otherwise looks completed.
 
Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
What type are in use at Leeds? I've only seen the above type in new installations (the older South East/London air-powered type are better still as they open more quickly).
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,314
Location
Bolton
Leeds has S&B gates, the same as Wakefield Westgate, Bradford Interchange, Manchester Oxford Road and Manchester Victoria. The ones at Manchester Piccadilly, Stockport, Crewe, Stoke-on-Trent, Huddersfield, Chester, Liverpool Central, James Street (etc) are Cubic gates.
 
Last edited:

transmanche

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
6,021
These London type barriers are much better than those horrible ones Northern use at Leeds etc. I wonder why there isn't a national standard for continuity purposes?
Do they have the Scheidt & Bachmann ones at Leeds? (They were installed at a number of stations by East Coast and are also used on the T&W Metro.) The first part of the name is well-earned. They are slow, seem to randomly reject valid tickets (and always for the reason 'ticket not valid at this location', even when it is) and the Metro ones apparently "can't" be programmed to accept NR tickets on inter-available routes.
 

greaterwest

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2014
Messages
1,616
What type are in use at Leeds? I've only seen the above type in new installations (the older South East/London air-powered type are better still as they open more quickly).

These are Cubic's "E2" barriers. "E1" barriers are the old CTS design (the metal ones), also known as the LU design.

What do you mean by air-powered? I wasn't aware any part of them was air powered.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Leeds has S&B gates, the same as Wakefield Westgate, Bradford Interchange, Manchester Oxford Road and Manchester Victoria. The ones at Manchester Piccadilly, Stockport, Crewe, Stoke-on-Trent, Huddersfield, Chester, Liverpool Central, James Street (etc) are Cubic gates.

The ones at Chester don't close if someone inserts a valid ticket before they start to close - very useful for race days when hundreds of passengers are going through a small number of gates in quick succession.
 

greaterwest

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2014
Messages
1,616
Do they have the Scheidt & Bachmann ones at Leeds? (They were installed at a number of stations by East Coast and are also used on the T&W Metro.) The first part of the name is well-earned. They are slow, seem to randomly reject valid tickets (and always for the reason 'ticket not valid at this location', even when it is) and the Metro ones apparently "can't" be programmed to accept NR tickets on inter-available routes.

Some barriers don't recognise valid break of journey either, maybe that's why? I believe Cubic ones throw a "not valid" error in some instances of valid broken journeys.
 

notlob.divad

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2016
Messages
1,609
Some barriers don't recognise valid break of journey either, maybe that's why? I believe Cubic ones throw a "not valid" error in some instances of valid broken journeys.

I know the ones at Reading where not happy with me trying to go onto the station concourse to get a coffee beer whilst waiting to change trains there. This was a few years ago whilst the place was being ripped apart. Don't know what the barrier type was though.

Anyone know which type will be going in to the north Shed at Liverpool Lime Street?
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,314
Location
Bolton
The ones at Chester don't close if someone inserts a valid ticket before they start to close - very useful for race days when hundreds of passengers are going through a small number of gates in quick succession.

I think most, or maybe all cubic gates will accept tickets in this way.

Some barriers don't recognise valid break of journey either, maybe that's why? I believe Cubic ones throw a "not valid" error in some instances of valid broken journeys.

The ones at Leeds are just programmed terribly. Often they won't accept local tickets, e.g. Bradford to Wakefield, but they will accept any old SVR, such as an Ebbw Vale Town to Mauldeth Road that let me in and out there several times (while I had tickets I was actually travelling with that were actually valid of course - they just didn't work the barriers).
 
Last edited:

greaterwest

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2014
Messages
1,616
I know the ones at Reading where not happy with me trying to go onto the station concourse to get a coffee beer whilst waiting to change trains there. This was a few years ago whilst the place was being ripped apart. Don't know what the barrier type was though.

Anyone know which type will be going in to the north Shed at Liverpool Lime Street?

Reading has a mixture. The original entrance retains its old (CTS design) Cubic barriers. The new entrances have Cubic E2 barriers.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think most, or maybe all cubic gates will accept tickets in this way.



The ones at Leeds are just programmed terribly. Often they won't accept local tickets, e.g. Bradford to Wakefield, but they will accept any old SVR, such as an Ebbw Vale Town to Mauldeth Road that let me in and out there several times (while I had tickets I was actually travelling with that were actually valid of course - they just didn't work the barriers).

Thankfully I don't think I've seen any S&B barriers in the South, and NR seem to be going with Cubic (a-la Birmingham NS & Manchester Picc) now. I don't know who installed the ones at Leeds or how long it's had them.
 

LeylandLen

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2013
Messages
779
Location
Leyland Lancs
Yes Preston needs a serious rebuild in my opinion before you can install gates. Too much wasted space, some could be used for retail, draught free waiting areas.Very bad acoustics for the public announcements doesn't help with an old high roof , not easy to change for people with luggage to/from Blackpool. Not sure who is responsible , Virgin or Network Rail ? Obviously its all down to ££££.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Yes Preston needs a serious rebuild in my opinion before you can install gates.

Does it? I'm not sure. You could gate across the wall between the main ticket office and the station itself, a small remote monitored gateline (say 1 large and 1 small gate, or even just 2 small gates as the bridge isn't wheelchair accessible anyway) and TVM could go by the Fishergate Centre entrance, then there's the new entrance from the car park no doubt being built with that in mind.

It would mean walking around if wanting the ticket office, but it's not *that* much out of the way.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
These are Cubic's "E2" barriers. "E1" barriers are the old CTS design (the metal ones), also known as the LU design.

What do you mean by air-powered? I wasn't aware any part of them was air powered.

The barrier arms are retracted by compressed air on the LU design gates. That's why they move so quickly. On newer designs it's electric motors.
 

greaterwest

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2014
Messages
1,616
They certainly don't sound like it, and LU/new design barriers seem to be equally fast.
 

PR1Berske

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2010
Messages
3,025
Yes Preston needs a serious rebuild in my opinion before you can install gates. Too much wasted space, some could be used for retail, draught free waiting areas.Very bad acoustics for the public announcements doesn't help with an old high roof , not easy to change for people with luggage to/from Blackpool. Not sure who is responsible , Virgin or Network Rail ? Obviously its all down to ££££.

Preston has always been a challenge because of how many ways in and out a passenger can go, from the station and onto platforms. Gates across the slope would kill off the shop etc, gates can't fit across either footbridge without major reconstruction, gates on the subway slope would possibly cause health and safety issues. It's a big ask, and as you indicate, big money.
 

urbophile

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2015
Messages
2,482
Location
Liverpool
I can see the point of ticket barriers for local/ metro type services. Assuming you are always going to have ticket checks on long distance trains what is the point of them there?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top