• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground - Customer Service Supervisor 2 - Full Time (External)

Kona

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2025
Messages
47
Location
London
I'm a train op, so have different working parameters to station staff - from memory, I think stations can work 8 days before a day off is required. Maybe someone else can confirm.

I don't publish stuff from the internal Sharepoint site without permission, but TfL publish rosters in many FOI requests, so that makes it easy ;)

One such request is here, but covers central London stations so mostly CSS1. If you search for rosters for station groups outside of Zone 1, then I think there will be more CSS2 rosters.

View attachment 196898
(Victoria CSS1 roster)

I think it's self explanatory, but just in case, let's say you start at week 1, you rest Sunday/Monday (but note the end of week 12 and understand this comes after a 4 day long weekend), then into 7 nights. Then 2 days off. Then 6 lates and so on. You just drop down a line each week.

Each station group has their own roster and CSS2 rosters will be different to CSS1 rosters, so I just use the above as an example.
Thank you! That's a really good insight!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Barksdale

Member
Joined
5 Jun 2025
Messages
78
Location
North West London
Hi im new to this forum and got the CSS role, not been given a date yet however I have a couple of questions if that’s fine.

- is it true we get Eurostar discount and if so is it only for family or can friends travelling alongside can get it?
- how easy or hard is it to swap AL and can I do it during probation and can the AL be together?
-I saw on the previous post that some shifts can be different, I looked at the FOI PDF and saw some stations that CSS do Monday to Friday only and not part time, am I reading the rosters wrong or is that an actual roster?
-I know we get taxis however if we start at 7am and we’re sent quite far can we book them for a 7am start as some trains don’t run till late such as Sundays
- after 6 months probation what is the average wait time to nominate to a CSS1 station, I know it can take average up to a year for CSAs, is it the same or longer for CSS? And if you do become CSS1 do you have to do another 6 months before you can apply for elsewhere, in addition can I also swap my days or duties during the probation.
-how long are the breaks as CSS and when do we take them
- once we are qualified to be CSS2 can we do any shifts such as OT as CSS1?
-I was reading somewhere from a FOI that some CSS can cover some CSMs duties is that true?
-what is the current update on the unions discussion in getting privs?
-can we nominate for more than one station or is it only one station at a time and do they inform you the wait or how many people have applied prior applying or do you find out after you nominate or do you not at all?
- finally do we receive anymore benefits I.e eligible to apply for a Costco card etc..

Many thanks
Congrats on the role! When did you complete your AC3 and when did you hear back? Also, have you been given a training date or indications on next steps?

Thanks
 

Darren Cole

New Member
Joined
29 Jan 2026
Messages
3
Location
Manor park
Congrats on the role! When did you complete your AC3 and when did you hear back? Also, have you been given a training date or indications on next steps?

Thanks
Cheers lad, I haven’t been given anything but just an email confirming I got the job and they’re awaiting for more dates to be available, I did my AC3 last month and got back a few days ago.
 

Mawkie

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2016
Messages
1,282
Gosh, here goes...

- is it true we get Eurostar discount and if so is it only for family or can friends travelling alongside can get it?
Yes, you and 5 others who don't have to be related, can be 5 mates - but you need to travel with them both directions. .

- how easy or hard is it to swap AL and can I do it during probation and can the AL be together?
Depends on the size of the station group, yes a/l can be taken together if you find enough swaps - although the annual leave allocation on stations is very generous. You may not need to worry about swapping.

-I saw on the previous post that some shifts can be different, I looked at the FOI PDF and saw some stations that CSS do Monday to Friday only and not part time, am I reading the rosters wrong or is that an actual roster?
That can happen, each group has its own rosters.

-I know we get taxis however if we start at 7am and we’re sent quite far can we book them for a 7am start as some trains don’t run till late such as Sundays
I don't think they publish a staff taxi handbook anymore, but there is an old FOI here that has times and routes. Have a look and see.

- after 6 months probation what is the average wait time to nominate to a CSS1 station, I know it can take average up to a year for CSAs, is it the same or longer for CSS? And if you do become CSS1 do you have to do another 6 months before you can apply for elsewhere, in addition can I also swap my days or duties during the probation.
Dunno.

-how long are the breaks as CSS and when do we take them
Officially 30 mins. Sometimes another staff member will arrive to "do meal reliefs" along the line. If not, phone the line controller and tell them the station will be unsupervised for 30 mins for a meal relief.

- once we are qualified to be CSS2 can we do any shifts such as OT as CSS1?
A new CSS told me recently that all CSSs are licenced as CSS1 from Ashfield House even if their substantive grade is CSS2, so yes you could do CSS1 higher grade work.

-I was reading somewhere from a FOI that some CSS can cover some CSMs duties is that true?
There is a certain amount of crossover between what a CSS1 does and what a CSM2 does, but CSSs don't do management stuff.

-what is the current update on the unions discussion in getting privs?
God knows. We called off strike action over promises LU made and they reneged on the deal.

-can we nominate for more than one station or is it only one station at a time and do they inform you the wait or how many people have applied prior applying or do you find out after you nominate or do you not at all?
I think station staff have an app they can use to nominate different areas. You used to be able to see the length of the list before you applied, but not sure now.

- finally do we receive anymore benefits I.e eligible to apply for a Costco card etc..
There is a My Benefits section on the intranet, but it is the usual generic discounts that nearly all large companies offer.
 

Darren Cole

New Member
Joined
29 Jan 2026
Messages
3
Location
Manor park
Gosh, here goes...

- is it true we get Eurostar discount and if so is it only for family or can friends travelling alongside can get it?
Yes, you and 5 others who don't have to be related, can be 5 mates - but you need to travel with them both directions. .

- how easy or hard is it to swap AL and can I do it during probation and can the AL be together?
Depends on the size of the station group, yes a/l can be taken together if you find enough swaps - although the annual leave allocation on stations is very generous. You may not need to worry about swapping.

-I saw on the previous post that some shifts can be different, I looked at the FOI PDF and saw some stations that CSS do Monday to Friday only and not part time, am I reading the rosters wrong or is that an actual roster?
That can happen, each group has its own rosters.

-I know we get taxis however if we start at 7am and we’re sent quite far can we book them for a 7am start as some trains don’t run till late such as Sundays
I don't think they publish a staff taxi handbook anymore, but there is an old FOI here that has times and routes. Have a look and see.

- after 6 months probation what is the average wait time to nominate to a CSS1 station, I know it can take average up to a year for CSAs, is it the same or longer for CSS? And if you do become CSS1 do you have to do another 6 months before you can apply for elsewhere, in addition can I also swap my days or duties during the probation.
Dunno.

-how long are the breaks as CSS and when do we take them
Officially 30 mins. Sometimes another staff member will arrive to "do meal reliefs" along the line. If not, phone the line controller and tell them the station will be unsupervised for 30 mins for a meal relief.

- once we are qualified to be CSS2 can we do any shifts such as OT as CSS1?
A new CSS told me recently that all CSSs are licenced as CSS1 from Ashfield House even if their substantive grade is CSS2, so yes you could do CSS1 higher grade work.

-I was reading somewhere from a FOI that some CSS can cover some CSMs duties is that true?
There is a certain amount of crossover between what a CSS1 does and what a CSM2 does, but CSSs don't do management stuff.

-what is the current update on the unions discussion in getting privs?
God knows. We called off strike action over promises LU made and they reneged on the deal.

-can we nominate for more than one station or is it only one station at a time and do they inform you the wait or how many people have applied prior applying or do you find out after you nominate or do you not at all?
I think station staff have an app they can use to nominate different areas. You used to be able to see the length of the list before you applied, but not sure now.

- finally do we receive anymore benefits I.e eligible to apply for a Costco card etc..
There is a My Benefits section on the intranet, but it is the usual generic discounts that nearly all large companies offer.
Cheers mate i really appricitate it, regarding the eurostar can i do a single without friends or is it universal?
 

Barksdale

Member
Joined
5 Jun 2025
Messages
78
Location
North West London
Cheers lad, I haven’t been given anything but just an email confirming I got the job and they’re awaiting for more dates to be available, I did my AC3 last month and got back a few days ago.
Smashed it bro, I’m waiting to hear back.. hopefully we’re on the same training cohort!
 

Mawkie

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2016
Messages
1,282
Cheers mate i really appricitate it, regarding the eurostar can i do a single without friends or is it universal?
You can travel alone, just checked for prices.

London to Paris:
£29.50 Standard
£59.50 Plus

London to Amsterdam
£35 Standard
£60 Plus.

Prices are each way/per person.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_2026-01-30-12-10-59-02_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2026-01-30-12-10-59-02_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_2026-01-30-12-10-33-27_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2026-01-30-12-10-33-27_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 36

LowRoller

New Member
Joined
8 Dec 2025
Messages
1
Location
London
Hi im new to this forum and got the CSS role, not been given a date yet however I have a couple of questions if that’s fine.

Many thanks
These are all questions you should wait until you have started, to ask internally, instead of asking on here. A lot of incorrect information has been posted in this thread from people that don't have much knowledge about this role or stations in general (train ops should stick to giving advice about their own role) including the answer you received.
 

Mawkie

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2016
Messages
1,282
These are all questions you should wait until you have started, to ask internally, instead of asking on here. A lot of incorrect information has been posted in this thread from people that don't have much knowledge about this role or stations in general (train ops should stick to giving advice about their own role) including the answer you received.
I think it's quite normal for people to feel apprehensive about their new role in advance of starting and ask pertinent questions, so I think it's fine to join a railway forum and ask those things.

Contributers to the forum give their time and knowledge freely, and in good faith. I'm sure you must appreciate that there is a lot of overlap between grades within LU, and some questions are so generic that any employee could answer reliably. Naturally, as people work through their life at LU they will interact with many different grades. Of course, some questions are very role specific, but not everyone can be a subject matter expert on every aspect of LU.

If you see misinformation being written then it is in everyone's interests to point that out so it can be corrected. However your post is a little light on detail - which parts of the answers given do you take issue with? It's not particularly helpful to challenge people opinion without giving your own, so perhaps you could start there? I would say it's important to give correct information and certainly, if you have direct experience of the grade, then I'm sure the forum would value your input.
 

Kona

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2025
Messages
47
Location
London
Cheers lad, I haven’t been given anything but just an email confirming I got the job and they’re awaiting for more dates to be available, I did my AC3 last month and got back a few days ago.
Congrats. Maybe I'll meet you on my course.
 

Kona

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2025
Messages
47
Location
London
I got offered the role last week, called today for an update and apparently they have people waiting for their documents to be checked since December.
Yeah I got told in Dec and am still waiting. I'd start tomorrow if they gave me a date. Excited
 

Shelby97

New Member
Joined
28 Nov 2025
Messages
3
Location
london
Have you started training yet? There’s still people doing their SBI so confused as to how you’ve been given a start date.. unless the training is on a rolling basis
There’s no need to have confusion. I have started my training and there are multiple groups on going at the same time
 

007_green

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2025
Messages
10
Location
London
anyone has any idea when the next start date is likely to be? All i am doing now is waiting on a start date.
 
Joined
2 Feb 2026
Messages
5
Location
North West London
I got the role december, all screening and pre employment stuff completed, just waiting on start date
how long did you wait to receive the reed link after you submitted your initial documentation?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

anyone has any idea when the next start date is likely to be? All i am doing now is waiting on a start date.
I heard that they have available training on March & April.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

When did you do your AC3 SBI?
Mid January
 

Jamil

Member
Joined
30 Jan 2026
Messages
7
Location
london
Has anyone recieved a contract yet ? I’ve done the medical and all the onboarding stuff but haven’t heard anything since.
 

BMIAG

New Member
Joined
11 Feb 2026
Messages
2
Location
London
Has anyone recieved a contract yet ? I’ve done the medical and all the onboarding stuff but haven’t heard anything since.
Apparently they send you further details, contract etc 3 weeks out from start date.
 

Top