• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground - Customer Service Supervisor 2 - Full Time (External)

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,163
Location
JB
There are a mixture of practical and written assessments, although the majority of the written assessments are multiple choice. The pass rate is usually around the 80% mark, and there's generally the opportunity to retake it once.

As with CSA roles, failing is rare provided that you apply yourself and ask questions where you don't understand, particularly around the operational, safety critical procedures such as track access and traction current.

NB: whilst I haven't personally taken the CSS course, I am familiar with a lot of its content from my own role and licenses held.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Barksdale

Member
Joined
5 Jun 2025
Messages
78
Location
North West London
Does anyone know what the training entails? (Exams, essays etc). The email i recieved from TFL states if you don't pass the exams for CSS you could be offered a role as CSA at a lower rate? Does this happen often?
Have you received a training date? What email did you see this in?
 

Kona

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2025
Messages
47
Location
London
There are a mixture of practical and written assessments, although the majority of the written assessments are multiple choice. The pass rate is usually around the 80% mark, and there's generally the opportunity to retake it once.

As with CSA roles, failing is rare provided that you apply yourself and ask questions where you don't understand, particularly around the operational, safety critical procedures such as track access and traction current.

NB: whilst I haven't personally taken the CSS course, I am familiar with a lot of its content from my own role and licenses held.
Thank you. Thats settling. I only ask as I'm leaving a well paid job for this.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Have you received a training date? What email did you see this in?
Its just questions I asked about the training.
 

Burry

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2024
Messages
104
Location
london
Are they still hiring CSS? Is there still a lot of CSS jobs left? If you live in the east, is there still a good chance to get the job?

Anyone got any idea
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,163
Location
JB
Fresh applications aren’t being accepted externally or internally at the moment. Four internal campaigns run a year.

By applying you are acknowledging that you can work anywhere in London on the network; there are CSS2 stations to the east, but whether there are vacancies there will depend on operational needs at the time. Officially, where you live isn’t taken into consideration for the initial role, and you can nominate if you successfully qualify.
 

Burry

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2024
Messages
104
Location
london
Fresh applications aren’t being accepted externally or internally at the moment. Four internal campaigns run a year.

By applying you are acknowledging that you can work anywhere in London on the network; there are CSS2 stations to the east, but whether there are vacancies there will depend on operational needs at the time. Officially, where you live isn’t taken into consideration for the initial role, and you can nominate if you successfully qualify.
Thank you so much for your reply
 

pitdiver

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2012
Messages
1,289
Location
Warsop Vale
Things are certainly different now. When I joined in 1989 as a Booking Clerk we had two weeks at the Railway Training Centre, two weeks at least on a station with an instructor then back to the RTC for the exam. No multi choice but each Booking Office procedure had to been written out in full.
When company plan came along it was again two weeks at the RTC then you had practical and written assessment for Rules & Regs as it called then.
 

Future_TO

New Member
Joined
5 Nov 2025
Messages
4
Location
London
Current Salaries:

CSS1 full time = £65,620
OT rate = £44.92

CSS2 full time = £54,126
OT rate = £37.05

Salary will increase in April '26 by a minimum of 3% due to being the 2nd year of the 3 year pay deal.

The third year (April 27) is agreed at a minimum of 2.5%
I start soon. Could you shed some light on the difference between CSS1 & 2 please. And also the process from progressing from one to the other.

That's quite a big pay increase.

Thanks!
 

Kona

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2025
Messages
47
Location
London
Finally did my role play this week, now comes the waiting game
How did you find it?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Soon, before the summer! Don't want to say the exact date on here though. What about you?

If you haven't received your start date I'd recommend calling up rather than just waiting.
DM ya.
 

121busboy

New Member
Joined
8 Feb 2026
Messages
3
Location
london
Just had my SBI you would definitely recommened the usage of the background reading havent got my results back yet but good luck to any of those who is going theirs as well as
 

Kona

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2025
Messages
47
Location
London
Negative, haven’t received training dates yet. I got my offer beginning of Feb. I spoke to recruitment during the week and was told they’re going in order of when your offer was given.

When did you receive yours?
I got offered the role in Dec. Took me a while to get my date.
 

Kona

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2025
Messages
47
Location
London
Anyone on the course at present - how are you finding it? I'm really excited and looking forward to it!
 
Joined
2 Feb 2026
Messages
5
Location
North West London
Dont know why everyone is being so secretive with training dates? They’re literally going in order of the waiting list, those that got offered first are trained first. It wont change anything if other people know.
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,163
Location
JB
Dont know why everyone is being so secretive with training dates? They’re literally going in order of the waiting list, those that got offered first are trained first. It wont change anything if other people know.

Not everyone wants to reveal their whole life to the Internet. It isn’t necessarily impossible to work out who someone is from their posts and identify them once training starts (not that I personally have any desire to do so, for the avoidance of doubt!).
 

Barksdale

Member
Joined
5 Jun 2025
Messages
78
Location
North West London
Confused as to why people are skeptical
Dont know why everyone is being so secretive with training dates? They’re literally going in order of the waiting list, those that got offered first are trained first. It wont change anything if other people know.
Exactly my thoughts - people want their questions and concerns answered on this forum but act oblivious and choose to ignore questions they can answer…

As I mentioned I received my offer in Feb so just waiting on training dates… once confirmed I’ll share with everyone
 

Future_TO

New Member
Joined
5 Nov 2025
Messages
4
Location
London
Dont know why everyone is being so secretive with training dates? They’re literally going in order of the waiting list, those that got offered first are trained first. It wont change anything if other people know.
Confused as to why people are skeptical

Exactly my thoughts - people want their questions and concerns answered on this forum but act oblivious and choose to ignore questions they can answer…

As I mentioned I received my offer in Feb so just waiting on training dates… once confirmed I’ll share with everyone

TFL monitor these forums, I'm sure we all received the same email about revealing any details on the hiring & interview process resulting in the withdrawal of our offers. Some people have been nice enough to risk their employment positions by answering questions in the forum to help those still interviewing.

Who is to say what TFL deem as too much information being revealed? Commenting your start date narrows you down to an exact group of 10 or less people.
 

Kona

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2025
Messages
47
Location
London
TFL monitor these forums, I'm sure we all received the same email about revealing any details on the hiring & interview process resulting in the withdrawal of our offers. Some people have been nice enough to risk their employment positions by answering questions in the forum to help those still interviewing.

Who is to say what TFL deem as too much information being revealed? Commenting your start date narrows you down to an exact group of 10 or less people.
100%. I'm planning to be with TFL for the foreseeable so I'm not gonna mess it up by mentioning something.
 

Jamil

Member
Joined
30 Jan 2026
Messages
7
Location
london
I’ve heard a rumour from someone within TFL the 54k salary was actually for the previous year pay rise and the 2026 salary is actually 56k. Has anyone heard this or have anymore information on it ?
 

Mawkie

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2016
Messages
1,284
I’ve heard a rumour from someone within TFL the 54k salary was actually for the previous year pay rise and the 2026 salary is actually 56k. Has anyone heard this or have anymore information on it ?
2026 pay is here.

 

Kona

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2025
Messages
47
Location
London
I’ve heard a rumour from someone within TFL the 54k salary was actually for the previous year pay rise and the 2026 salary is actually 56k. Has anyone heard this or have anymore information on it ?
Keeps getting better. I thought the free travel was top notch, a pay rise is a nice touch too!
 

Top