• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
My 0800 KGX - EDB on the 7th was prepared by a chef who came around with scrambled egg after the rest of the breakfast had been served

Blimey you were honoured - next they'll be knocking out Fried Eggs and Black Pudding :roll:
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
As a matter of interest this service continues to Glasgow via Motherwell after leaving Edinburgh - does the trolley come around again on departure from EDB? as the onward journey is over an hour.

The timetable shows the last service round is after Alnmouth.
The onward journey is over an hour but it has a horrendous amount of padding (25 mins between Motherwell and Glasgow - that's almost as bad as some ATW trains going into Piccadilly!)
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
The timetable shows the last service round is after Alnmouth.
The onward journey is over an hour but it has a horrendous amount of padding (25 mins between Motherwell and Glasgow - that's almost as bad as some ATW trains going into Piccadilly!)

True I forgot about the "shades of whatever colour" in the tt. Conversely on the outward service in the Morning originating in Glasgow do they serve Breakfast before it hits Edinburgh (thats purple for both Glasgow and Motherwell)
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
If it's shaded purple then yes. Classic East Coast!

From the evidence I've seen getting on at Haymarket (before EDB) on this service I don't think they do - may be T&C job as its under 70 mins from Glasgow to Waverley.
 

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
2,411
Location
Glasgow

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
They might also refuse EDB-ALN passengers brekky, but give it to GLC-ALN ones?
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
They might also refuse EDB-ALN passengers brekky, but give it to GLC-ALN ones?

There should be more than enough time for breakfast from Edinburgh, Althorne (ALN) is in Essex. Unless of course you mean ALM, which is Alnmouth ;)

</needless comment about three-letter codes>
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
There should be more than enough time for breakfast from Edinburgh, Althorne (ALN) is in Essex. Unless of course you mean ALM, which is Alnmouth ;)

</needless comment about three-letter codes>

I got "told off" for using the wrong 3 letter code on this website too!
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,124
Location
Redcar
I got "told off" for using the wrong 3 letter code on this website too!

As long as the correct code is used, they are defined (so the first time you use them tell us which station it is) and they are not used in thread titles, no one minds them.
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
As long as the correct code is used, they are defined (so the first time you use them tell us which station it is) and they are not used in thread titles, no one minds them.

Well I did wonder if I should write out the correct three letter codes 100 times!:roll:
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,124
Location
Redcar
Well I did wonder if I should write out the correct three letter codes 100 times!

Well if you want to I suppose so, however I find it far easier and less time consuming to simply consult National Rail Enquiries to discover the correct codes.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
I'm still intrigued by the "spirit accounting" in 1st Class ....no I'm not talking ghouls and ghosts of BR past....but Whisky Vodka and Gin :lol:

I have noticed they only have three of each on the drinks trolley a lot of the time.

My guess is they get them from the Cafe Bar and some sort of TX occurs for the value.

Imagine they only use 3 but all 9 are tx over. The 6 unused are knocked out to "paying clients" and at £4 odd a pop thats £24 that could be trousered or the stock itself and the books still balance.

There is no way of telling how many "free spirits" have been given away to 1st Class Passengers - at least no check back. This system is wide open :idea:

Is this why they are sometimes so reticent to hand out the spirits - if not why should they care how many are given out as for every greedy bugger (like me) a lot of passengers have no alcohol.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The appetiser the last few times I've used an evening meal service has been a packet of fancy slightly spicy biscuity nibbles, to call it an appetiser is a very grand way of describing it. We haven't had what I'd consider a starter on any services since the restaurant finished.

On the 1949 ex York last night. (EM service)

They had the appetiser (nibbles) but no hot food or deserts or cheese and biscuits.

Yes folks this service left Kings Cross at 1800 non-stop to York and had no food on arrival at York.

Apparently the stock holding figures are done on a computer based on trends by staff at HO. The staff have told them about the problems of running out , but are ignored.

I was looking forward to Fish, followed by Eton Mess - all I got was the "nuts"

On pushing them they offered a hot paninni from Cafe Bar but I settled for the old sarnies and whisky to drown my sorrows.:roll:
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
I havent used EC FC for a good wiile now, been enjoying VTs seamingly limmitless free bar before it goes :) so if anyboddy has wondered why whisky and white wine have been a bit harder to come by on the mid afternoon EUS - EDB via BHM Pendo theres your answer :)
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Am currently on another East Coast train from York to Edinburgh - and guess what......?

They loaded 25 hot meals for 60 people boarding at KGX apparently the staff said it was "messy" no hope of anything at York :cry:

Having said that I am the only person in "L" just been brought a huge plate of sarnies , crisps and cheese and biscuits ....happy as a pig in excrement :p
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
Am currently on another East Coast train from York to Edinburgh - and guess what......?

They loaded 25 hot meals for 60 people boarding at KGX apparently the staff said it was "messy" no hope of anything at York :cry:

Having said that I am the only person in "L" just been brought a huge plate of sarnies , crisps and cheese and biscuits ....happy as a pig in excrement :p

Any compensatory booze offerings? <D
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,124
Location
Redcar
Having said that I am the only person in "L" just been brought a huge plate of sarnies , crisps and cheese and biscuits ....happy as a pig in excrement

Well at least they attempted to make some sort of restitution for the mistakes of their superiors.

In fairness to the staff in my experience the crews that still care about customer service will normally try and do something to compensate if the offer falls over. Once travelling from Darlington to London (on a train originating from Newcastle) they came around with the food offer after York and initially took my order for the infamous beetroot risotto. However, a minute later the CSA came back and explained that they had run out of the risotto (bearing in mind I was sat at the north end of L so they'd run out after serving K and a couple of other people in L) so instead offered me a panini from the cafebar which I gratefully accepted. He brought it through a few minutes later and had even taken the time to garnish it with some salad. Needless to say the fellow passengers sat next to me who had partaken of the risotto looked over with rather envious eyes at my panini.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Any compensatory booze offerings? <D

Hic......plenty of Whisky :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well at least they attempted to make some sort of restitution for the mistakes of their superiors.

In fairness to the staff in my experience the crews that still care about customer service will normally try and do something to compensate if the offer falls over. Once travelling from Darlington to London (on a train originating from Newcastle) they came around with the food offer after York and initially took my order for the infamous beetroot risotto. However, a minute later the CSA came back and explained that they had run out of the risotto (bearing in mind I was sat at the north end of L so they'd run out after serving K and a couple of other people in L) so instead offered me a panini from the cafebar which I gratefully accepted. He brought it through a few minutes later and had even taken the time to garnish it with some salad. Needless to say the fellow passengers sat next to me who had partaken of the risotto looked over with rather envious eyes at my panini.


According to the staff the calculations for loading hot food are going tits up and they are reporting this back but nothing is being done.

I suspect penny pinching is more responsible than incompotence :p

EC Directors forum ..top of the list ...whens the next one ?
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
had 3 FC Virgin trips in last 4 weeks and never not got my chosen hot food and 1 of these included the flights of a 221 with its tiny fridge!
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,284
My only real complaint about VT FC, is that the portions on the Pendo evening meal seem to have got extremely small recently. The last time I used one, I was on a very quiet Pendo in coach K, got served a tiny portion only for the crew to send a shed load of the hot food back to the kitchen. I assume it got thrown away, as it wasn't offered later in the journey. I'd fully understand if it was busy.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
My only real complaint about VT FC, is that the portions on the Pendo evening meal seem to have got extremely small recently. The last time I used one, I was on a very quiet Pendo in coach K, got served a tiny portion only for the crew to send a shed load of the hot food back to the kitchen. I assume it got thrown away, as it wasn't offered later in the journey. I'd fully understand if it was busy.

Train companies are not famous for their portion sizes....East Coasts are not that big. However you can normally top up on sandwiches on the next run. I did see First Hulls the other day and they are not gigantic either.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
dlast time I had a quiet pendo they asked everyone if they wanted seconds so guess it depends on crew?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
think the HST Fridges may be playing up on EC again, done 2 morning runs X Aberdeen lately both in standard but no sandwitches or hot food in standard or first due to chiller issues
 

calc7

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
2,097
I have been offered seconds on breakfasts, hot food and cheese "boards" several times before. It really depends on the crew. The best ones tend to be the Manchester- and Birmingham-based ones. The Scottish and London ones are quite stingy.
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,284
I agree about the London and Scottish crews being stingy. I forgot to mention that the train I referred to was the 1840 ex Glc.
 

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,794
Location
Somewhere, not in London
I agree about the London and Scottish crews being stingy. I forgot to mention that the train I referred to was the 1840 ex Glc.

Yeah, tiny portions on that when I was on it, but still, plenty of booze to keep me happy...

Oh and the joyous saga of EC Customer Service continues, my partner has completed the journey in EC 1st and guess what, no catering adjustments where made, but everyone on here was right, no issues at all with mobility assistance at Kings Cross, the barrier, desk and assistance staff couldn't really have been much nicer.

But when EC's CS Dept in Plymouth heard back from me, comprehensively answering the questions they had asked, I didn't hear anything back, and so nothing has been done in the way of asjustments, I think we can rest assured that travelling on EC again will either be done in standard, or he will be catching services from Sunderland and using Grand Central from Sunderland in future (Lives half way between Sunderland and Newcastle on the Metro Network) as you can get a GC Only return for the same price as the cheapest advance tickets off Central, with the added flexability of being able to choose a return date, and only a pair of £2.20 B+C and a pair of Z1234567 (£2.85) Singles to worry about at either end...
 

Top