DaveNewcastle
Established Member
I'd just like to counter some of the posts criticising the Company, and in particular, the suggestion that the on-board crew are not supportive and helpful, with a little story of my own.
I'd like to, but I'd better not, because the staff involved were probably all going beyond the procedures laid down and which have been risk-assessed, and might even be criticised for the help they gave me.
Anyway, the short version is that earlier in the year I had made a stupid mistake which had nothing to do with the Railways and which left me in a very awkward position. A number of solutions were all being denied to me by 'officials', and then I came up with a scheme to get me out of the mess. In the end, it involved 13 ordinary working people being asked if they would do me a favour which was beyond their duty, and if just one of them had said 'no', I'd have remained in my predicament. 9 of them were East Coast staff, and all offered to help.
Thanks to their help, I was out of my predicament, due to the willingness of staff to show a little sympathy and help.
Just for my own amusement, I also thought I would ask the Company officially if they could help in the way I'd planned, and the answer was a firm 'no'.
Im sorry to sound vague and mysterious, but I hope my point is clear - they're a good team, and despite any 'policies' or 'rulings' from head office, they are helpful, supportive and caring. In turn, I treat them with courtesy and a warm welcome and find that its usually reciprocated (just as long as they're not simultaneously trying to dispatch a train or sell a ticket!).
I'd like to, but I'd better not, because the staff involved were probably all going beyond the procedures laid down and which have been risk-assessed, and might even be criticised for the help they gave me.
Anyway, the short version is that earlier in the year I had made a stupid mistake which had nothing to do with the Railways and which left me in a very awkward position. A number of solutions were all being denied to me by 'officials', and then I came up with a scheme to get me out of the mess. In the end, it involved 13 ordinary working people being asked if they would do me a favour which was beyond their duty, and if just one of them had said 'no', I'd have remained in my predicament. 9 of them were East Coast staff, and all offered to help.
Thanks to their help, I was out of my predicament, due to the willingness of staff to show a little sympathy and help.
Just for my own amusement, I also thought I would ask the Company officially if they could help in the way I'd planned, and the answer was a firm 'no'.
Im sorry to sound vague and mysterious, but I hope my point is clear - they're a good team, and despite any 'policies' or 'rulings' from head office, they are helpful, supportive and caring. In turn, I treat them with courtesy and a warm welcome and find that its usually reciprocated (just as long as they're not simultaneously trying to dispatch a train or sell a ticket!).