• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(Light-Hearted) Worst-Targetted Ads on This Forum & Elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
I am currently seeing adverts for "supercars & performance cars" (I don't drive) and ""Hexagon" measuring technology" (I'd prefer to use maths thanks). Also an advert for "Explore the Seas at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard" - I don't live particularly close to Portsmouth, and I don't like water unless I am safely inside a ferry/hovercraft/etc.
I get that one quite a bit, maybe because I've been looking at second hand cars recently. But I am in the market for a normal car, not a supercar!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Now I'm seeing an ad for temporary dams (for blocking water). The mind boggles as to why!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,837
Location
Nowhere Heath
Relevant to this thread as to 'why this ad?' right now is one I got for outsourcing my PPC. Apparently it's from a marketing company who offer help in running a successful Pay Per Click (PPC) ad campaign. I can't say I even knew what PPC was before!
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,066
Had an advert for Shark vacuum cleaners on YouTube, which would be fine if they A, weren't unreliable junk or B wasn't on a video from an American vacuum cleaner technician showing you why they are junk!
Yes I am really going to buy one of your vacuum cleaners after just finding out that they are unreliable junk, even when maintained.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
I’ve just checked into the Novotel Reading centre and I’ve received this advert several times. Not sure how they target, but my profile says I’m a bus driver, and I guess Facebook locations knows where I am. But has failed to notice 200-250 miles is a bit far to commute!
 

Attachments

  • B578B12B-E3F6-4542-ACA7-5051DD657F3C.jpeg
    B578B12B-E3F6-4542-ACA7-5051DD657F3C.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 34

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,906
Had an advert for Shark vacuum cleaners on YouTube, which would be fine if they A, weren't unreliable junk or B wasn't on a video from an American vacuum cleaner technician showing you why they are junk!
Yes I am really going to buy one of your vacuum cleaners after just finding out that they are unreliable junk, even when maintained.

My Shark is in its 8th year, and has performed flawlessly throughout, despite much user initiated abuse (eg Hoovering up broken plaster, huge amounts of cat hair, and working-at-the-time christmas lights.)
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,066
My Shark is in its 8th year, and has performed flawlessly throughout, despite much user initiated abuse (eg Hoovering up broken plaster, huge amounts of cat hair, and working-at-the-time christmas lights.)
That's surprising, normally they fail in a few ways, one of the main ones being hair getting caught in the ends if the brushroll which causes friction and then ends up destroying the head, plus their bagless, one of the most pointless innovations to come to vacuum cleaners, dirtier to empty, many filters and cyclones to clog and need cleaning. Our Hetty just gets a new bag when full and a filter brush every so often.


One joke supposedly was with the original Dyson that it might never lose suction but that inefficiencies in bagless design meant that a full bagged vacuum might have lost some suction it had more to start off with and therefore the no loss of suction marketing hid the fact that there was not a lot of suction to lose in the first place.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,906
That's surprising, normally they fail in a few ways, one of the main ones being hair getting caught in the ends if the brushroll which causes friction and then ends up destroying the head, plus their bagless, one of the most pointless innovations to come to vacuum cleaners, dirtier to empty, many filters and cyclones to clog and need cleaning.

With the number of people with long hair in my house, i have to ‘de hair’ the brush about every month or so. It would be no different with any other Give the filters a wash at the same time. Personally I much prefer bagless - go to wheelie bin, open lid, open flap on bagless cylinder, dust drops in, close flap, close bin, takes 10 seconds.

Compared to the Dyson we had before, it’s much better - more powerful, and more reliable (I had to replace several parts of the Dyson over the course of the 12 years we had it)
 

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
Now I am seeing ads for Build-A-Bear Workshop. This is not somewhere I frequent, not having children (I did take my nephew there once in 2018!) and not a topic I have searched for (apart from possibly checking the opening times once, in 2018!). Perhaps they think my nephew's bear will be worn out by now and are trying to tempt me to get him a replacement?
 

DustyBin

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2020
Messages
3,927
Location
First Class
I keep seeing ads for “exotic Ukrainian beauties” on Pistonheads when reading the Ukraine war thread. The same happens on some news articles. It all feels slightly inappropriate (no offence Kateryna and Tetyana!).
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,721
Location
Croydon
Now I am seeing ads for Build-A-Bear Workshop. This is not somewhere I frequent, not having children (I did take my nephew there once in 2018!) and not a topic I have searched for (apart from possibly checking the opening times once, in 2018!). Perhaps they think my nephew's bear will be worn out by now and are trying to tempt me to get him a replacement?
Or is it that the algorithm thinks that it is about time the next available child will have reached the appropriate age to be interested.
 

Pinza-C55

Member
Joined
23 May 2015
Messages
1,035
Indeed. I was surprised to learn some years back that the revenue brought in by these forum ads is more than enough to cover hosting costs, and support some other forum activities/meets too. They are quite innocuous in terms of their placement and scale, though their content can, of course, vary.

As I have a wall of adblockers and javascript censors on my browser, in the pastI've offered to pay a membership fee to this forum. (This idea was politely declined at the time.)
Google is working on disabling ad blockers by the end of this year.
 

Ediswan

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2012
Messages
3,449
Location
Stevenage
The item being advertised is reasonable. The image is a strange choice (though did recently feature in the forum).

ABL.png
 

Herefordian

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2022
Messages
267
Location
Hereford
Dating websites.

Albeit they're aimed at people who are attracted to women.

I'm a gay man and not interested in dating anyway.
 

Purple Train

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2022
Messages
2,469
Location
Exile or exile
Apparently there is a clearance sale on shoes, according to the advert I currently have at the bottom of my page.
I own one pair of shoes, one pair of walking boots, and one pair of wellingtons; that is quite enough for me!

I have also recently received job adverts for a Co-op warehouse in Avonmouth (I live a long way away from Avonmouth!), and another advert for women's summer clothing, whose target market I am decidedly not in.
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,837
Location
Clydebank
Dating websites.

Albeit they're aimed at people who are attracted to women.

I'm a gay man and not interested in dating anyway.
This drives me up the wall, perhaps a bit more than it really should. If/when I start dating, there's a 99.9% chance I'll be looking for another bloke. End of. Doesn't matter how many such ads get flung in my face.
 

Herefordian

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2022
Messages
267
Location
Hereford
This drives me up the wall, perhaps a bit more than it really should. If/when I start dating, there's a 99.9% chance I'll be looking for another bloke. End of. Doesn't matter how many such ads get flung in my face.

Sums up how I feel to a tee.

I have been with a woman before. But, it's a long story.

At least I have an amazing daughter and granddaughter as a result. :)
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,837
Location
Clydebank
Sums up how I feel to a tee.

I have been with a woman before. But, it's a long story.

At least I have an amazing daughter and granddaughter as a result. :)
That's something at least. :) Am glad you're in a much better place now overall in this respect. :)
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top