• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(Light-Hearted) Worst-Targetted Ads on This Forum & Elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,826
Location
West of Andover
Current adverts are for a Polish transport company who transport dead bodies from England to Poland...

Very niche subject

(Opened it up in private mode to see what the heck it was)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,838
Location
Nowhere Heath
I've seen that first one today/last night, no idea how it was chosen though! That second one, I'm struggling to see how relieving stress through tiredness can be done with something requiring focus and attention like shooting!

Right now, I've got ClearPlanning trying to encourage me to act quickly for life insurance qualification before the end of 2022. No thanks, I'll wait until next year when they are more likely to give me a better deal anyway!

Mind you, it has reminded me to book travel insurance ahead of a trip to London, Amsterdam and Inverness in just under a month's time, so that's handy!
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,719
Location
Scotland
That second one, I'm struggling to see how relieving stress through tiredness can be done with something requiring focus and attention like shooting!
Not that I specifically want to promote shooting, but often times stress and tiredness can be the result of excessive thinking about work/family matters/etc. The concentration required by something else like shooting allows one to break the counter-productive thought patterns.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,838
Location
Nowhere Heath
Not that I specifically want to promote shooting, but often times stress and tiredness can be the result of excessive thinking about work/family matters/etc. The concentration required by something else like shooting allows one to break the counter-productive thought patterns.

Fair point, I hadn't considered that.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,398
Location
Yorks
I've just seen an advert on this forum entirely in either Japanese or Chinese script except for one english word "offer".

Given my struggles with GCSE German and A Level French, an advert in oriental script is barking entirely up the wrong tree in my case !
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,719
Location
Scotland
I'm not sure what the third item across is, and I'm not sure I want to know!

1671885254925.png
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,721
Location
Croydon
Eeew.My guess is the word harness is in common - originally as in wiring harness but then confused with other harnesses.
 

contrex

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2009
Messages
1,678
Location
St Werburghs, Bristol
When I asked, a few months ago, 'what are these ads of which you speak?', I didn't twig that the topic of this thread was 'those ads which I scroll past without really looking at'. I thought it might be a new type. I am so used to seeing ridiculous ads on social media, local news sites (Reach Group, I'm looking at you), etc, that I just tune them out. Also I am wary of clicking anything like that. A quick question - if I was using an ad blocker, would that reduce the site's ad income by some minuscule amount, or is a flat rate fee paid based on member numbers?
 
Last edited:

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,416
Location
S Yorks, usually
Slightly different (i.e. relevant to the website they appeared on) - a pairing of ads for mobile phone/telecoms companies a while ago on an IT website, with the top ad including a downward-pointing arrow "Try this" which points to the competing brand underneath.

Ad placement.jpg
 

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Joined
26 Sep 2016
Messages
1,605
Location
Kent
I am not sure if this advert is advertising bras or something under them but I burst out laughing when I scrolled down to find this lol
 

Attachments

  • 324332110_1394639700941289_6976769159290303622_n.jpg
    324332110_1394639700941289_6976769159290303622_n.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 23

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,719
Location
Scotland
Not sure if this is badly-targeted or not (as a single male), but this one stood out:
IMG_20230109_064554.jpg
 

365 Networker

Member
Joined
19 Jul 2019
Messages
537
1673249214933.png
This was at the top of the page - not sure what it is, it looks like medical equipment to me.

These adverts were on my internet browser's homepage or on a news site:-
1673249421460.png
1673249474017.png
I see quite a few relating to animals -
1673249658477.png
1673250306881.png

Finally, I'm always getting equity release adverts - despite never specifically searching for it.
1673250618768.png
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,721
Location
Croydon
We had to buy a washing machine over Christmas. Despite rejecting cookies I am now regularly being offered washing machines - how many does a normal person need ?. I also see I am interested in repairing a Miele washing machine - never had one of those.
 

Dai Corner

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2015
Messages
6,995
I bought new tyres for the car a few months ago. Ever since, the algorithms and mailbots think I want to buy some more. Clearly they don't realise they'll last me a number of years!
 

365 Networker

Member
Joined
19 Jul 2019
Messages
537
It is exactly what it says it is. Looks more scientific/engineering than medical. The specification says –270 to +1820 °C.
A quick search online suggests they are used for measuring environment and cargo temperatures:-

Environmental monitoring[edit]​

Autonomous data loggers can be taken to diverse locations that cannot easily support fixed temperature monitoring equipment.[3] These might include: mountains, deserts, jungles, mines, ice flows, caves, etc. Portable data loggers are also used in industry and laboratory situations where stand-alone recording is desired.

Monitor shipments[edit]​

Temperature sensitive products such as foods,[4] pharmaceuticals,[5] and some chemicals are often monitored during shipment and logistics operations. Exposure to temperatures outside of an acceptable range, for a critical time period, can degrade the product or shorten shelf life. Regulations and contracts make temperature monitoring mandatory for some products.

Battery-powered, formerly mechanical, the data logger is today an electronic device that can be programmed to record individual values over periods of a few hours to several months. Most are used to monitor temperature conditions, and some versions can also measure the relative humidity.

Data loggers are often small enough to be placed inside an insulated shipping container or directly attached to a product inside a refrigerator truck or a refrigerated container. These monitor the temperature of the product being shipped. Some data loggers are placed on the outside of the package or in the truck or intermodal container to monitor the air temperature. Placement of data loggers and sensors is critical: Studies have shown that temperatures inside a truck or intermodal container are strongly affected by proximity to exterior walls and roof and to locations on the lading.[6][7]

Modern digital data loggers are very portable and record the actual times and temperatures. This information can be used to model product degradation and to pinpoint the location and cause of excessive exposure.

The measured data reveals whether the goods in transit have been subjected to potentially damaging temperature extremes or an excessive Mean kinetic temperature. Based on this data, the options may be:

  • If there have not been out of tolerance temperatures for critical times, continue to use the shipment, without special inspection
  • If potentially damaging temperature hazards have occurred, thoroughly inspect the shipment for damage or degradation. Possibly accelerate sale and use because of reduced shelf life.[8]
  • The consignee may negotiate with the carrier or shipper or even choose to reject a shipment where sensors indicate severe temperature history
  • The time of the temperature extreme, or GPS tracking, may be able to determine the location of the infraction to direct appropriate corrective action.
Multiple replicate shipments of data loggers are also used to compare modes of shipment (routes, vendors) and to develop composite data to be used in package testing protocols.[9]

There are many brands and models of data loggers. Most are a connectable device that must be plugged into a computer to extract the data that the logger has logged.

The only reason I can think of why this advert was targeted at me is that I was looking at the met office website for the temperature/ weather forecast.
 

Typhoon

Established Member
Joined
2 Nov 2017
Messages
3,540
Location
Kent
#168. #169. So it is not just me that gets those sorts of ads? The worst ones I have are related to printers. OK, having bought one printer fairly recently, I might want another but the the recent ads are for ink cartridges - for different brand printers I don't have and have never searched for. When I bought a printer, I specifically sought out and purchased a tank printer. Now I continually get adverts for an HP subscription service (that seems a rip off) as well as others. Even when I had a cartridge printer (cartridges no longer available), I would have ads for cartridges for different printers as though they hadn't realised that they won't fit. While I am typing this, I needed to check my e-mail. Not only was there an incoming message but an Ad -

HP 59A Black LaserJet Toner Cartridge CF259A​

The good news is there is 30% off and it has got 2 5* ratings. The bad news, I have never owned a laser printer.
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,066
An advert for Shark vacuum cleaners during a video from a vacuum cleaner technician showing how bad they are.
"Anti hair wrap" is more "hair gets moved to ends of brushroll, gets stuck causing friction that melts the ends making it beyond economical repair".
Numatic or SEBO all the way.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,826
Location
West of Andover
Currently getting a few adverts with the ugly mug of Farage promoting his latest financial system (probably something barely legal and high risk). No thanks.
 

BenS123

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2022
Messages
228
Location
Bournemouth
Currently getting a few adverts with the ugly mug of Farage promoting his latest financial system (probably something barely legal and high risk). No thanks.
Was about to say that one, got it earlier, not sure if I really want to know Farage's idea of the truth to be honest :lol:
1674252877959.png
 

Purple Train

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2022
Messages
2,469
Location
Exile or exile
I am currently seeing adverts for "supercars & performance cars" (I don't drive) and ""Hexagon" measuring technology" (I'd prefer to use maths thanks). Also an advert for "Explore the Seas at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard" - I don't live particularly close to Portsmouth, and I don't like water unless I am safely inside a ferry/hovercraft/etc.
 

Typhoon

Established Member
Joined
2 Nov 2017
Messages
3,540
Location
Kent
Add at the top of my e-mails:

University of Portsmouth - Bachelor of Nursing (Hons)

I can only assume that they know appointments around my neck of the woods are hard to come by and it might be helpful if I could diagnose myself, after all, I am 72, pretty frail, take a pile of meds so would be pretty useless on the wards.
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,721
Location
Croydon
Add at the top of my e-mails:

University of Portsmouth - Bachelor of Nursing (Hons)

I can only assume that they know appointments around my neck of the woods are hard to come by and it might be helpful if I could diagnose myself, after all, I am 72, pretty frail, take a pile of meds so would be pretty useless on the wards.
Oh, I would not necessarily say that !.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top