Therefore it has been pointless surely?
Removing the laptop means you can't hide anything behind it -- taking a mass of electronics out of your hand luggage makes it far easier to spot any issues.
Therefore it has been pointless surely?
Removing the laptop means you can't hide anything behind it -- taking a mass of electronics out of your hand luggage makes it far easier to spot any issues.
such cynicism - a decent person like President Trump would never stand for such blatant market rigging. I wont have it. Honest as the day is long that man.
A very intelligent putdown. I applaud your creativity.Did you by chance write that on 21 December and only get around to posting it now?

At Manchester Airport don't you have to take all the electronics out and put them in the tray?
Currently allowed. Watch this space.Not really been following this. I'm flying Kurdistan to Vienna to London in April - kindle allowed or not?
At some point a company will sell some snake oil detector that will be snapped up, even if the ban were extended to airports that don't have massive security holes.
Ooohh, snake oil on a plane!
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...rohibited-heathrow-uk-terrorism-a7650696.html
Security breach renders in-flight laptop ban useless
Exclusive: The Independent exposes gaping flaw in prohibition on laptops and e-readers in cabins
(article continues)
zuriblue in post 49 summed it up - half baked measure that's so full of holes its ridiculous. US and UK cant agree on what routes/countries to be covered. Terrorists are obviously unable to take indirect routing - anyone remember Lockerbie and luggage in transit.
Perhaps though, they are bothered about it being actuated while the 'plane is airborne.
There's no such thing as security through obscurity.Not sure if I should say openly what it might be or not though?
I have a strong suspicion as to what exactly it is that they can't detect on these electronic devices through normal x-ray screening.
Not sure if I should say openly what it might be or not though?
There's no such thing as security through obscurity.
I'd assume that the people who are likely to do such a thing either already know, or if they don't they'll find out anyway. (And I highly doubt that a UK based railway forum will be their first port of call!).
That's a possibility, but battery fires are more dangerous in the hold (where nobody can see/get to them) than they are in the main cabin.OK - in that case... I suspect some kind of mechanism, probably activated by a manual software command, whereby the terrorists can deliberately trigger a short circuit of the battery while cruising along at 30,000 ft or whatever.
There's no such thing as security through obscurity.
But equally it is a criminal offence to possess or publish "information which may be of use to terrorists".
Like a train timetable. Or a map. Or google street view.
I agree. But posting a concept in broad strokes is different to the specifics of how to implement it.With the tendency of recent attacks to be lone nutters, I think I wouldn't publish a vulnerability here if I thought there was any chance of it being used.
I thought of an explanation that sort of fits with the known facts about the ban.
What if a terrorist managed to get a job in IT support at a multi-national in one of the countries in question? They could then potentially have access to devices brought in by UK/UK visitors under the guise of an essential software fix or whatever. The innocent visitor would then take the device back home on the plane.
FAA said:"FAA battery fire testing has highlighted the potential risk of a catastrophic aircraft loss due to damage resulting from a lithium battery fire or explosion," the agency wrote in an alert in February. "Current cargo fire suppression systems cannot effectively control a lithium battery fire."
There's enough lithium ion fires on planes already to show what would happen - lots of swearing, some fire extinguisher, maybe a diversion, even if you managed to alter the laptop to explode, and only do so when the laptop was in the air
In the meantime we're stuffing these potential bombs in the hold.
If you're thinking conventional explosives then current scanning methods are more than capable of detecting the majority of such threats. And again, a bomb in a cargo hold is at least as (if not more) likely to bring down an aircraft.The scenario I was considering involved doctoring the laptop with something rather more explosive than a battery.