I Would say Scotland is like an American state, with the ability to make its own laws, however certain limitations from Westminster that it cannot ignore. Like federal laws in the us. However it does not majorly represent itself on the international stage.
Personally I think that Scotland should try and synchronise more with the rest of the uk. For example how scots law is a little bit different (I think, like it says the same things but different wordings so different technicalities)
I strongly disagree.
(Having spent much of today in the company of Alex Salmond I might be thought to be biased, and I have warmed greatly to the man as a consequence).
Scotland is NOT like an American State. In the US, there is a hierarchy of one Federal entity and ALL of its jurisdiction is subdivided into States. The problem that the UK suffers from, and it really is suffering, is that a) England does not have its own Government, and b) most English people and English politicians talk as if they don't realise that their Country doesn't have its own Government.
For as long as England does not have its own Government, and as long as the English don't acknowledge that their country doesn't have its own Government, then I fail to see how it can be considered a Country.
What on earth does 'Scotland synchonise itself with the rest of the uk' mean?
Give up Government?
Pretend that it doesn't have a government?
Become part of Wales?
Become part of Northern Ireland?
I'm strugging to resist being abusive but I think the post I've quoted is the sort of English-centred and unintended misunderstanding of nationhood that fuelled much of the difficulties that Ireland has suffered (a suffering which has been felt on the mainland as acutely).