Chester025
Member
- Joined
- 29 Jun 2008
- Messages
- 1,066
Can I ask a question? Why is there all this hassle about photography now when back before say, 2000, it was not seen as a problem? Why have things had to change?
I can give you one useful suggestion:
9/11
Can I ask a question? Why is there all this hassle about photography now when back before say, 2000, it was not seen as a problem? Why have things had to change?
I can give you one useful suggestion:
9/11
There is no requirement, and they apply to enthusiasts rather than photographers (someone may be a one or the other, neither, or both!)I don't understand how people can quote the Network Rail guidelines on photography at stations, then conveniently forget about the bit asking photographers to announce their presence to staff, and/or sign in... :roll:
There is no requirement, and they apply to enthusiasts rather than photographers (someone may be a one or the other, neither, or both!)
There is no requirement, and they apply to enthusiasts rather than photographers (someone may be a one or the other, neither, or both!)
Point well made.
Far too much fuss made about these guidelines. Some people will sign in,others wont - different strokes for different folks.
Don't complain if you get chucked out then.
Point well made.
Far too much fuss made about these guidelines. Some people will sign in,others wont - different strokes for different folks.
Because his railcard runs out soon and he cannot reapply because he is over the age limit although he is disabled, mentally not physically and I have told him he can apply for a disabled one and he says he can't.
Basically, he is coming to the stage that I am at which is paying full whack for tickets and he wants to hit places before it runs out; Acton Bridge, Barnetby, Scotland and so on.
This Scottish trip is going to take out both Glasgow stations, both Edinburgh stations, Dalmuir, Pailsley GS, Dundee, Aberdeen, Stirling, Motherwell, Carlisle and Newcastle and we have got the permission to film and photograph at the Scottish stations
suicidal nutcases
Because his railcard runs out soon and he cannot reapply because he is over the age limit although he is disabled, mentally not physically and I have told him he can apply for a disabled one and he says he can't.
Basically, he is coming to the stage that I am at which is paying full whack for tickets and he wants to hit places before it runs out; Acton Bridge, Barnetby, Scotland and so on.
This Scottish trip is going to take out both Glasgow stations, both Edinburgh stations, Dalmuir, Pailsley GS, Dundee, Aberdeen, Stirling, Motherwell, Carlisle and Newcastle and we have got the permission to film and photograph at the Scottish stations
IIRC, the guidelines were drawn up by ATOC and BTP after numerous complaints from enthusiasts over heavy handed treatment. The whole point being to mitigate such complaints in the future.
In my experience, the only complaints these days seem to stem from people either ignoring the guidelines altogether, or picking the parts that suit them. At the end of the day, is it really any hardship to sign in, or offer to do so when arriving at a station? A process which takes a couple of minutes, tops?
It's all very well carrying copies around (some laminated, no less!), but if you've ignored the request to announce your presence, then any further argument based on the rest of the document is pointless!
At the end of the day, I've no problem with trainspotters/enthusiasts/photographers - I've spent many an hour photographing trains myself in the not too distant past, indeed, if 323s are your thing, you are very welcome to grace my platforms with your presence. However I would be grateful if you came to see me first so I know you are a) harmless and b) not intending to hurl yourself under the next train (unfortunatley suicidal nutcases seem to like the same platform ends as spotters/photters - sad but true).
Some people might think that such rules / guidelines are over the top - but what is two minutes out of your spotting trip to see a member of staff, thus avoiding any unpleasant conversations. And it saves me a walk - I don't relish the thought of a long walk to the far ends of my platforms to find just a harmless photographer instead of the nutcase I was psyching myself up for dealing with...
Again, for those that think it's over the top, consider aviation photography, where there are all sorts of ID badge scemes administered by airport police, indeed, at Paris CDG, photography is banned except to members of the local enthusiasts group who have been vetted by the police. Now THAT is over the top.
Rambly rant over...![]()
Can I ask a question? Why is there all this hassle about photography now when back before say, 2000, it was not seen as a problem? Why have things had to change?
Hello, everyone, this is my first post.
As I'm not British, sorry for my poor English...
I had a problem on the Clapham Junction station yesterday.
Once I entered the station I told a member of staffs that I wanted to take photos of trains, and he asked me to go to the platform 10 where the duty manager was, so I did. Then I talked to the duty manager but he said that I needed a permission from the duty manager of Waterloo, so I showed him a copy of the guidelines which I'd printed before and told I didn't have to. However then he said that I had to go there and get safety jackets like staffs wore, so I showed him the guidelines again and tried to explain to him that I shouldn't wear such thing, but he said the guidelines didn't apply on the station.
Then I realised that it was the waste of time to try to make him understand the actual rules so I left the station and enjoyed photographing at another place.
But however I see lots of photos taken on that station on the internet or magazines, and I wonder how those people could take photos there. If you've photographed there before, could you please tell me about your experiences, such as how you could and whether you had any problems?
Thank you very much for reading my poor writing.
Sounds way better than one of my previous visits, where a friend and myself was threatened with the BTP if we didn't leave the station - this was 2004, though...Went to London yesterday and I can tell you that Liverpool Street is more enthusiast friendly than it used to be.
Here is how it went.
I went to station reception next P10. asked the lady permission to photo/video. I had to show ID so I used my citizen card and that was ok. I given a form titled filming and photography at Liverpool Street which I had to read and then sign.
I was then given a safety briefing e.g. what to do when the fire alarm goes off and to been an extra pair of eyes as well as ears in terms of security. I signed that and then I had my photo taken on webcam and printed on a badge and printed and then I was on my way.
Spent an hour and wasn't challenged. I know its a bit extreme but that is understandable for a station such as that and Network Rail were very and professional.
Went to London yesterday and I can tell you that Liverpool Street is more enthusiast friendly than it used to be.
Here is how it went.
I went to station reception next P10. asked the lady permission to photo/video. I had to show ID so I used my citizen card and that was ok. I given a form titled filming and photography at Liverpool Street which I had to read and then sign.
I was then given a safety briefing e.g. what to do when the fire alarm goes off and to been an extra pair of eyes as well as ears in terms of security. I signed that and then I had my photo taken on webcam and printed on a badge and printed and then I was on my way.
Spent an hour and wasn't challenged. I know its a bit extreme but that is understandable for a station such as that and Network Rail were very and professional.
I was also asked for ID at Cannon Street but didnt have to sign in.
Infact I didnt have to sign in at Fenchurch Street, King's Cross, St Pancras and Euston. At Euston and St Pancras I am now on the visitors database.
Photos taken, ID, signing in multiple times and even at different locations? That does seem rather OTT for someone to stay within the public areas of a station and take photos.
And now staff say the same to commuters waiting for a train who happen to take a photo with a cameraphone, I do feel tempted to say the world has gone mad - but will resist as I hate people who say that!
Went to London yesterday and I can tell you that Liverpool Street is more enthusiast friendly than it used to be.
Here is how it went.
I went to station reception next P10. asked the lady permission to photo/video. I had to show ID so I used my citizen card and that was ok. I given a form titled filming and photography at Liverpool Street which I had to read and then sign.
I was then given a safety briefing e.g. what to do when the fire alarm goes off and to been an extra pair of eyes as well as ears in terms of security. I signed that and then I had my photo taken on webcam and printed on a badge and printed and then I was on my way.
Spent an hour and wasn't challenged. I know its a bit extreme but that is understandable for a station such as that and Network Rail were very and professional.
I was also asked for ID at Cannon Street but didnt have to sign in.
Infact I didnt have to sign in at Fenchurch Street, King's Cross, St Pancras and Euston. At Euston and St Pancras I am now on the visitors database.
I accept that it's courtious to let someone know what you're doing if you're going to be standing around for some time taking photos of trains, but I don't appreciate being asked what I'm up to when I am waiting 10 minutes for a connecting train, it's bright and sunny so I walk up and down the platform (not passing the 'do not pass' signs) to kill time.
If I then decide to take a photo of something random, I don't expect to be told I should have signed in.. and then presumably sign out before I get on the train I want (perhaps missing it). If you don't sign out, that really isn't very good for safety management. In the event of an evacuation, they presumably have to look for all the people who didn't sign in - i.e. the general public - anyway.
If I was signing in to get a visitors badge, I'd expect to carry one because I'm getting access to a restricted area for staff. I wouldn't expect to have a visitors badge to merely stand on a platform. That's presumably why the guidelines don't say you must sign in, provide ID, have a photo taken, get a pass and then sign out. You simply let someone know what you're doing so they don't worry.
If they then saw you wandering around in an area that is off limits, THEN they can deal with you however they see fit (throw you out, call BTP etc).
To me, some staff just like to show they're so powerful. That's why they can pretend it's about security and risk, so you think that they're doing their bit to help keep the nation secure. In reality, they're not actually looking for suspicious activity - and the people they harass more likely could.
The stupidity is that at Finsbury Park, where I was told to sign-in for taking a photo of the gateline while waiting to change train, they happily let a train continue when someone had come off, in a panic, and said to staff that a lady was possibly carrying a bomb (clutching a rucksack and allegedly praying over and over). Despite this person telling more than one member of staff, they dispatched it and - as he continued to say what he saw - opted to get BTP to meet the train at King's Cross.
BTP did then attend, located the woman and it was shown to be a false alarm - but for Goodness sake... one minute they're going after people taking a photo and talking up the 'heightened security risk' and the next they're allowing a train to head into King's Cross with someone on board who could have been planning to blow the train up! Oh yes, the staff are REALLY taking security seriously, not.
http://www.whtimes.co.uk/mobile/new...alert_on_first_capital_connect_train_1_928312
