• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia - Trainee Driver - Recruitment Discussion

mimoma

Member
Joined
4 Nov 2024
Messages
33
Location
Essex
That’s great!!
You’d think they’d at least have given a heads up about completing as I’d started the application already
There is a line on each job ad that it can close early if there’s a high number of applications. I wouldn’t leave any application for a driver role incomplete to finish later tbh, get it sent in asap as I’ve seen them close even quicker than this.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
5 Dec 2024
Messages
50
Location
clacton
I got caught by them closing early when they did the last jobs in November, got all my applications in as soon as they went live on Friday. Hopefully I get some luck and get picked.
With the last round I did my stage 1, but never heard about stage 2 before the sent the email telling everyone to reapply. Does anyone know if that means I can potentially skip straight to stage 2 if my name is pulled out of whatever selection system they use?
 

Brick79

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2024
Messages
40
Location
Essex
I got caught by them closing early when they did the last jobs in November, got all my applications in as soon as they went live on Friday. Hopefully I get some luck and get picked.
With the last round I did my stage 1, but never heard about stage 2 before the sent the email telling everyone to reapply. Does anyone know if that means I can potentially skip straight to stage 2 if my name is pulled out of whatever selection system they use?
I'm same boat as you, I think we might have to do the initial sjt again but we wouldn't need to do stage 1. I'd imagine once you get an email confirming you've passed the sjt (again) it'd be best to email back and mention you've completed stage 1 already with them.
That’s great!!
You’d think they’d at least have given a heads up about completing as I’d started the application already
I'd always apply ASAP for these jobs and the same with trying to complete any online assessments, shouldn't matter but I do think it helps.
 
Joined
5 Dec 2024
Messages
50
Location
clacton
I'm same boat as you, I think we might have to do the initial sjt again but we wouldn't need to do stage 1. I'd imagine once you get an email confirming you've passed the sjt (again) it'd be best to email back and mention you've completed stage 1 already with them.

I'd always apply ASAP for these jobs and the same with trying to complete any online assessments, shouldn't matter but I do think it helps.
I’ve made sure in the application to state that I’ve already completed stage 1 in March and whilst waiting for stage 2 I’ve been told to apply again. Hoping that will bypass the initial tests. Seems silly to make people keep doing them when they’ve already done them. I can understand if it’s been years, but as the stage 1 is valid for 5, I would hope the initial SJT are too
 

I_am_Nobody

Member
Joined
1 Dec 2024
Messages
136
Location
UK somewhere, on a train
If you’ve already passed Stage 1 assessments with GA or the OPC, it is on your record on the national database, and will be for a number of years. They’ll know about it when they come to start inviting people to assessments after screening applications.
 

Brick79

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2024
Messages
40
Location
Essex
I’ve made sure in the application to state that I’ve already completed stage 1 in March and whilst waiting for stage 2 I’ve been told to apply again. Hoping that will bypass the initial tests. Seems silly to make people keep doing them when they’ve already done them. I can understand if it’s been years, but as the stage 1 is valid for 5, I would hope the initial SJT are too
Did your old application get deleted? I've reapplied but never got any email stating my application would be shut and so have 2 applications showing "under consideration"
 

Greeny1

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2022
Messages
55
Location
Norwich
It looks like there are only three trainee depot driver jobs left now. I'm glad I got in early.
 
Joined
5 Dec 2024
Messages
50
Location
clacton
Did your old application get deleted? I've reapplied but never got any email stating my application would be shut and so have 2 applications showing "under consideration"
So one of mine says withdrawn on the portal. The other says it’s still under consideration, but has initially said it was also withdrawn and then changed back. So I’ve applied again for the one that says withdrawn. And then also applied for both trainee positions at the next nearest location just incase. Hoping they might get the hint that I really want this job.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,875
Location
East Anglia
I believe this is because they were originally two depots (West Anglia and GE) which have since merged (somewhat) but T&Cs were never harmonised.
Liverpool Street would be ‘West Anglia’ and ‘Anglia Railways’ as the GE depot was at Ilford.
 
Last edited:

maa14

New Member
Joined
7 May 2025
Messages
1
Location
London
Do first time applicants realistically stand a chance ? Anyone manage to get in last years campaign first time applying ?

Reading through the forum, I feel GA have enough of a pool of candidates who've progressed through various stages of the process, they don't need to waste around calling people to the assessment centre etc. I'll still give it a shot, I've applied to BS and Colchester.
 
Joined
5 Dec 2024
Messages
50
Location
clacton
Do first time applicants realistically stand a chance ? Anyone manage to get in last years campaign first time applying ?

Reading through the forum, I feel GA have enough of a pool of candidates who've progressed through various stages of the process, they don't need to waste around calling people to the assessment centre etc. I'll still give it a shot, I've applied to BS and Colchester.
My first time applying I got to stage 1 and passed. Just never been invited to the stage 2 yet. When chased they’ve said I’m still in the pool but they don’t know when I’ll get to do back for the next bit.
 

mimoma

Member
Joined
4 Nov 2024
Messages
33
Location
Essex
Do first time applicants realistically stand a chance ? Anyone manage to get in last years campaign first time applying ?

Reading through the forum, I feel GA have enough of a pool of candidates who've progressed through various stages of the process, they don't need to waste around calling people to the assessment centre etc. I'll still give it a shot, I've applied to BS and Colchester.

Yes, I applied in the November batch and it was my first time applying (and only sent on application in, didn’t go for the depot role). I’ve got no experience working on the railway, no family or friends in the industry, and never did any of the assessments before this.
 

Shan8822

Member
Joined
7 May 2025
Messages
23
Location
Ipswich
Hello , has anyone heard anything since sending in applications? I sent mine last friday and still no word …
 

Greeny1

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2022
Messages
55
Location
Norwich
Hello , has anyone heard anything since sending in applications? I sent mine last friday and still no word …

The last time I applied they sent the SJT the following week then after passing, was held in the talent pool. Today would be the cut off point to apply if they hadn't all been taken down early due to amount of applicants. Things usually happen on Fridays so maybe next Friday. I think the SJT is a blanket test for all applicants which comes first.
 

Shan8822

Member
Joined
7 May 2025
Messages
23
Location
Ipswich
The last time I applied they sent the SJT the following week then after passing, was held in the talent pool. Today would be the cut off point to apply if they hadn't all been taken down early due to amount of applicants. Things usually happen on Fridays so maybe next Friday. I think the SJT is a blanket test for all applicants which comes first.
oh okay makes sense thanks ! How did you find the SJT last time, if im given the chance to do it it will be my first time doing one
 

unbutton

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2025
Messages
29
Location
London
I think the last vacancy closed yesterday and the original closing date was the 9th. I reckon we will all hear something next week for sure.
Is this based on any intel? I was getting ready for the long haul, based on my app with another TOC taking 6 months to get a response!
 

Covnarcom

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2024
Messages
24
Location
Southend-on-Sea
Having been through this process about half a dozen times before (with GA and also c2c), it doesn’t take too long for them to acknowledge your application and then send over the SJT.

For example, in last November’s round of applications, I submitted mine for a mainline driver position on the 2nd November and then got my SJT invitation on the 11th November.
 

The_Postie

Member
Joined
6 May 2025
Messages
9
Location
Clacton-on-sea
Is this based on any intel? I was getting ready for the long haul, based on my app with another TOC taking 6 months to get a response!
I have applied about 10 times over the course of about the same amount of years and everytime, you usually get the situational judgement test not long after. Pass that and all I have ever had afterwards, is we have placed your application in a pool of applicants. Fingers crossed for the next stage at some point but I am not getting any younger!
 

Greeny1

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2022
Messages
55
Location
Norwich
oh okay makes sense thanks ! How did you find the SJT last time, if im given the chance to do it it will be my first time doing one

I found it alright. In the main, think safety critical when you choose your answers. It's not timed, give each question plenty of thought.
 
Joined
5 Dec 2024
Messages
50
Location
clacton
in November, I didn’t get the link for the SJT for a few weeks after applying, it certainly wasn’t within a week of closing like others had. I then waited another 4 months and did stage 1, now sat in the pool hoping I get the invite for stage 2.
 

Greeny1

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2022
Messages
55
Location
Norwich
I have applied about 10 times over the course of about the same amount of years and everytime, you usually get the situational judgement test not long after. Pass that and all I have ever had afterwards, is we have placed your application in a pool of applicants. Fingers crossed for the next stage at some point but I am not getting any younger!
How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm 49. I've applied about three times and same as you. Tbh, I'm not keeping my eggs in one basket. I have other paths to my dreams which I work on daily. Would be nice to at least experience the first assessment day.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

in November, I didn’t get the link for the SJT for a few weeks after applying, it certainly wasn’t within a week of closing like others had. I then waited another 4 months and did stage 1, now sat in the pool hoping I get the invite for stage 2.
Are you still being held within a previous application?
 
Last edited:
Joined
5 Dec 2024
Messages
50
Location
clacton
How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm 49. I've applied about three times and same as you. Tbh, I'm not keeping my eggs in one basket. I have other paths to my dreams which I work on daily. Would be nice to at least experience the first assessment day.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Ate you still being held within a previous application?
I’ve been told both. I had emails for all previous applications saying it’s been 6 months apply again. I queried it and was told that was an error and I am still in the pool. But in the portal not all of them went back to showing as under consideration. So I’ve applied again anyway just in case.
 

Greeny1

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2022
Messages
55
Location
Norwich
I’ve been told both. I had emails for all previous applications saying it’s been 6 months apply again. I queried it and was told that was an error and I am still in the pool. But in the portal not all of them went back to showing as under consideration. So I’ve applied again anyway just in case.
There's no harm in it. Good luck, I hope you get your 2nd assessment invite soon.
 

Jack2

Member
Joined
10 Nov 2024
Messages
12
Location
Essex
Morning all! So I have applied again after getting into the pool stage last time but not actually ever getting to the stage one part of the tests! Hopefully better luck this time!
 

ku_ku_ka_cho

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2024
Messages
46
Location
Cambridge
Hi all, can anyone signpost me or explain the recruitment process for GA please.

I applied for CrossCountry last year and was successful in getting through the process and assessment centre but have been sat in radio silence ever since, hearing absolutely nothing hence going for the GA vacancies.

I see people are talking about a stage 1 and 2.....can you tell me what is done at each please, and I assume as I am sitting on a 'pass' it will mean I don't have to do the SJT etc again?

Thanks.
 

Top