• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia - Trainee Driver - Recruitment Discussion

Covnarcom

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2024
Messages
24
Location
Southend-on-Sea
Hi all, can anyone signpost me or explain the recruitment process for GA please.

I applied for CrossCountry last year and was successful in getting through the process and assessment centre but have been sat in radio silence ever since, hearing absolutely nothing hence going for the GA vacancies.

I see people are talking about a stage 1 and 2.....can you tell me what is done at each please, and I assume as I am sitting on a 'pass' it will mean I don't have to do the SJT etc again?

Thanks.
You will have to take the SJT again but AFAIK won’t have to take the stage 1 and stage 2 assessments.

I was in a similar position as I applied to the c2c in November 2023, did all my assessments, and even did the final stage DMI in February 2024 but got radio silence thereafter. Applied for GA multiple times since then and they seem to just send me the SJT, I pass it, they say they’ll be in touch, but then nothing happens.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greeny1

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2022
Messages
55
Location
Norwich
You will have to take the SJT again but AFAIK won’t have to take the stage 1 and stage 2 assessments.

I was in a similar position as I applied to the c2c in November 2023, did all my assessments, and even did the final stage DMI in February 2024 but got radio silence thereafter. Applied for GA multiple times since then and they seem to just send me the SJT, I pass it, they say they’ll be in touch, but then nothing happens.
It's amazing that there was a news article about being a shortage of train drivers yet this happens literally a medical away from starting. I hope you can finally get to be accepted and start soon.
 

ku_ku_ka_cho

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2024
Messages
46
Location
Cambridge
You will have to take the SJT again but AFAIK won’t have to take the stage 1 and stage 2 assessments.

I was in a similar position as I applied to the c2c in November 2023, did all my assessments, and even did the final stage DMI in February 2024 but got radio silence thereafter. Applied for GA multiple times since then and they seem to just send me the SJT, I pass it, they say they’ll be in touch, but then nothing happens.
That's strange isn't it, and doesn't seem to be an effective use of anyone's time at all. It may be that if the assessment centre pass is a low scoring pass or they aren't happy with a certain element of it you will not hit the mark to get on a course, but they should just say that and be clear instead of stringing people along.

Cross Country are populating another course next month which if I don't get on I will take that as it being the end and see how it goes with GA, fingers crossed.
 

The_Postie

Member
Joined
6 May 2025
Messages
9
Location
Clacton-on-sea
How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm 49. I've applied about three times and same as you. Tbh, I'm not keeping my eggs in one basket. I have other paths to my dreams which I work on daily. Would be nice to at least experience the first assessment day.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Are you still being held within a previous application?
I'm 42, My application was held for 6 months, I then got an email to say its run out but we are hiring again at the start of May, so here we are again. Fingers crossed I get further this time.
I do have an interview booked for a ticket clerk/sales job for GA, but there's no guarantee I'll get it, so I've applied for the driving jobs too. Just really fancy a change of career as I've been a postie for the last 23 years!
 
Joined
5 Dec 2024
Messages
50
Location
clacton
That's strange isn't it, and doesn't seem to be an effective use of anyone's time at all. It may be that if the assessment centre pass is a low scoring pass or they aren't happy with a certain element of it you will not hit the mark to get on a course, but they should just say that and be clear instead of stringing people along.

Cross Country are populating another course next month which if I don't get on I will take that as it being the end and see how it goes with GA, fingers crossed.
I would hope they’re not disregarding people in the pool that they’ve decided are too ‘low’ after passing.
The most stressful part I found of the stage one was when they sent you out to the seating area after each test so they could mark it, then they’d call certain people back in to tell them they hadn’t passed and to go home. It was brutal.
 

Brick79

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2024
Messages
40
Location
Essex
I would hope they’re not disregarding people in the pool that they’ve decided are too ‘low’ after passing.
The most stressful part I found of the stage one was when they sent you out to the seating area after each test so they could mark it, then they’d call certain people back in to tell them they hadn’t passed and to go home. It was brutal.
Was that with GA? When i did my stage one (with GA) you got your results about a week after by email
 

Pintman

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2023
Messages
191
Location
The Pub
It's amazing that there was a news article about being a shortage of train drivers yet this happens literally a medical away from starting. I hope you can finally get to be accepted and start soon.
There is a shortage of drivers, but the bottleneck isn't in the number of applications! Every job gets hundreds (possibly even thousands) of applications, but there's a slow recruitment process and not enough trainers
 

unbutton

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2025
Messages
29
Location
London
There is a shortage of drivers, but the bottleneck isn't in the number of applications! Every job gets hundreds (possibly even thousands) of applications, but there's a slow recruitment process and not enough trainers
I applied (and failed) for C2C trainee driver recruitment last year and I recall they said they had circa 5,000 applicants!
 
Joined
5 Dec 2024
Messages
50
Location
clacton
Was that with GA? When i did my stage one (with GA) you got your results about a week after by email
Yeah. Did it in March. after each test we were all sent back to the seating bit. Ans then if you failed that test they called you back then sent you home. Then after the final test they told us we’d passed. Got the email confirmation the next day.
 

Greeny1

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2022
Messages
55
Location
Norwich
There is a shortage of drivers, but the bottleneck isn't in the number of applications! Every job gets hundreds (possibly even thousands) of applications, but there's a slow recruitment process and not enough trainers
Makes me wonder why reducing the age to 18 would make any difference in that case. Would create even more applicants, but not alleviate the bottleneck.
 

Pintman

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2023
Messages
191
Location
The Pub
Makes me wonder why reducing the age to 18 would make any difference in that case. Would create even more applicants, but not alleviate the bottleneck.
It's an easy PR win that the majority of the voting public don't really understand but that looks like they're doing something to solve a problem
 

Greeny1

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2022
Messages
55
Location
Norwich
It's an easy PR win that the majority of the voting public don't really understand but that looks like they're doing something to solve a problem
Good point.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Anyone Received SJT invite yet ?
I'm guessing possibly on Friday. In my experience, things usually happen on Fridays with GA. It could differ, though. Usually, people post here once they get the invite, so you'll likely know if you keep checking back here.
 

BennyD99

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2024
Messages
35
Location
Essex
I can't even log on. Does anyone else have that problem? Happened last time as well. The odd day it loads, once in a blue moon though.
 

Shan8822

Member
Joined
7 May 2025
Messages
23
Location
Ipswich
Nothing! Do they send an email usually or do you have to log on to your application portal ? Thanks
 

Brick79

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2024
Messages
40
Location
Essex
I can't even log on. Does anyone else have that problem? Happened last time as well. The odd day it loads, once in a blue moon though.
I've had this issue in the past where to log in I have to go back to the initial "thank you for applying" email and go through that link, it's the only way I can
 

BennyD99

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2024
Messages
35
Location
Essex
I've had this issue in the past where to log in I have to go back to the initial "thank you for applying" email and go through that link, it's the only way I can
Yeah that's what I have to do. Just a little frustrating!

Thank you.
 

I_am_Nobody

Member
Joined
1 Dec 2024
Messages
136
Location
UK somewhere, on a train
Patience, folks. It's been two weeks, in Railway Recruitment that's barely any time at all... imagine how many applications the team will have received for each individual role, it'll take them some time to work through things and get all of the balls rolling!
 
Joined
5 Dec 2024
Messages
50
Location
clacton
Last time they also seemed to go through them location by location. So if some people have heard and some haven’t that doesn’t mean anything. Just depends where they’ve prioritised.
 

CombatBarbie

New Member
Joined
17 May 2025
Messages
1
Location
Colchester
I've applied for the trainee driver role, and my application says under consideration. Does anyone know how long before we might proceed to the next step and what the next step is please?
 

unbutton

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2025
Messages
29
Location
London
I've applied for the trainee driver role, and my application says under consideration. Does anyone know how long before we might proceed to the next step and what the next step is please?
All discussed above you. The short answer is “no”.
 

Top