Do names really matter? It's not like the public have a choice on most routes...
Maybe that's why it was called One... As in "You only have one choice! Now buy your ticket and quit moaning."
Do names really matter? It's not like the public have a choice on most routes...
I think we're part-way there with Merseyrail, ScotRail and London Overground. Just got to do the same for the rest!
Good point!None of the contracts you listed above though are let by the DfT.
Yes, that was quite good and I believe they actually retained Intercity branding. The green and gold FGW livery wasn't too bad though.Hear, hear. My all time favourite livery is that of Great Western Trains' 'Merlin'....
I believe it was to symbolise the joining up of the old Anglia, Great Eastern and West Anglia services into 'one' company.
They have spent very little since they got the franchise, all of the stock has been let get in a very bad condition with no TLC being showed to it in the slightest, nothing has really been refurbished, well technically it has been but it doesn't look like it has as it was so minor, and generally assets have been stripped and spending cut back in pretty much every area that was possible.
Things like trains/ stations will need repainting every few years though, the paint jobs aren't going to last forever.
Daft to repaint a train that's only just been painted, yes, but a "rolling" programme would avoid that
Do stations even need to be run by the TOCs? You don't have airlines running the airports so why not just have Network Rail manage all the stations?Yes. Perhaps stations should be repainted but with a generic colour scheme that is nothing to do with the operating company?
Another "good riddance" to throw into the pot, from me...
Do stations even need to be run by the TOCs? You don't have airlines running the airports so why not just have Network Rail manage all the stations?
It wouldn't have to. There would be no need to repaint at each franchise change if Network Rail managed all the stations. It would also save some of the TOCs from using some of their subsidy to do this.Because that would divert public money away from the necessary (rail infrastructure and safety) into the aesthetic / frivolous (lick of paint and a few logos)
Ditto.
I couldn't stand NXEA from day "one".
The instant the DfT announced that NX had got their hands on the Greater Anglia franchise on the 1st April 2004, my gut instinct was that it would be down hill from that day forward - and how right my instinct was!
Another pigsty of a TOC to add to the list of rail operations that NX have ruined... Central Trains, East Coast, Midland Mainline, Scotrail, Silverlink, WAGN, the list goes on... :roll:
Has anyone thought of organising a farewell party (or more appropriately a thank god party!) on the very last train operated by NXEA? If it's the usual 02:00 hrs franchise transfer between operators, I believe the last train operated by NXEA would be the 01:03 Liverpool Street - Chingford, unless someone knows different.
Forgot to say, in general whilst very little was invested in the former Anglia Railways and First Great Eastern area with regards to repainting and cleaning, and stations in general bar a few exceptions, the former West Anglia part which lets not forget was under control of National Express during the WAGN days, has even less.
I remember there being lots of liveries dating back to before WAGN and even some plain white ones that ran around for years if my memory is correct. Also still today, there are many hints of Network South East colours on the West Anglia side.
Has anyone thought of organising a farewell party (or more appropriately a thank god party!) on the very last train operated by NXEA? If it's the usual 02:00 hrs franchise transfer between operators, I believe the last train operated by NXEA would be the 01:03 Liverpool Street - Chingford, unless someone knows different.
It's a caretaker franchise to see the GA franchise through the Olympic period and slightly after until a new long term franchise can be awarded. What did you expect?
G'day
How about 2K28 00:50 Liverpool St to Southend Victoria, arr Southend at 01:58?
Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia
The mainlines from Liv St have barely seen any modernisation since the original 1960's electrification schemes were extended out to Norwich and Kings Lynn in the late 1980's. In a decade where rail travel has grown by such massive amounts the rail operators of East Anglia have barely seen a penny invested in the kinds of upgrades that are desperately needed. I'll say it again, it doesn't matter whose name is on the side of the train the situation will not improve markedly unless there is major investment.
Another pigsty of a TOC to add to the list of rail operations that NX have ruined... Central Trains, East Coast, Midland Mainline, Scotrail, Silverlink, WAGN, the list goes on... :roll:
From what I've heard, MML was pretty good, as well as NX ScotRail. The few times I used Central I never had any problems either.
Out of curiosity, did you regularly use all those TOCs, or is it a case of 'it's NX so they must have been crap'?
'it's NX so they must have been crap'?
Indeed.
If they were so brilliant, they would still retain the said operations mentioned - even after the amalgamations, modifications and splits of the franchises.
They'll be gone in 9 days, lets move on...![]()
However if you are seriously saying they have invested a lot of money the state of trains and the fact many of them can go around for weeks without so much of a clean is not acceptable no matter what the excuse is, I would say the same for any operator, not just NXEA. There has been next to no money spent on the refurbishment of trains and that is a fact as other posters have said. A lot of things are outside the control of National Express, but the cleaning and the on train environment is something that is certainly under their control which they have failed to spend adequate sums on.
Although it is admirable for a staff member to come on her and put up a good defense for his company, but unfortunately by working for the company the view is simply not objective because of the conflict of interest, the same way as it would be if I was talking about the (Non transport) company that I work for and saying I was right any my customers are wrong. At the end of the day it comes down to what the users of the train service think, no matter how good the staff think they are, the public are the ones who use it, and pay their wages and to most people, they are generally not sad to see the franchise go.
Of course the new owners are on essentially a management contract and whilst I'm not sad to see National Express go, I do appreciate that the new owners are unlikely to make much change so I'm not going to be singing from the rooftops that they've gone soon like Ginger, it'll take the franchise after that for it to happen so it's not going to magically change a few days later and everything to be okay.
Also you really need to take a trip along the West Anglia line and some of the major stations on the line have NSE red and even the NSE logo around.
They're also in far better condition than the 321/4's, which ironically enough were in East Anglia initially, but missed the refurbishment programme because they transfered to Silverlink and also spent some time at Midland Mainline, where they were not refreshed, since some of them have came back to National Express East Anglia, where they are in far worse condition than the ones that had been properly looked after.
Eh? The 321/4s were built for, and delivered when new to, West Coast main line services through Northampton weren't they? And that's where they remained right up until London Midland replaced them with 350s. Granted that a few (321438-448) moved across to the Great Eastern in NSE days though.They're also in far better condition than the 321/4's, which ironically enough were in East Anglia initially, but missed the refurbishment programme because they transfered to Silverlink and also spent some time at Midland Mainline, where they were not refreshed, since some of them have came back to National Express East Anglia, where they are in far worse condition than the ones that had been properly looked after.
Ummm, because it states where the TOC operates? Sounds like the best policy for naming TOCs to me. I know this debate has already been had a few pages back, but I don't see how adding a company name to the front of the TOC title makes the name more exciting or inventive. Personally, it's something I find quite irritating: The frequent changeover of franchisee renders it pointless: I know a few people who still erroneously refer to Crosscountry as "Virgin" and Northern as "First North Western". Admittedly in Virgins' case they do have a strong brand that is instantly recognisable for many people.I wonder why most train operators are merely named after the areas they serve, the only exciting name is First TransPennine and Virgin!
No train goes around "for weeks without so much [as] a clean" as you suggest. There are carriage washer plants at numerous locations and train cleaners working at terminus stations and stabling points emptying trains of rubbish and cleaning toilets.
Please don't mistake trains carrying grafitti for trains that have not been cleaned, because not all locations have the facilities for grafitti removal and so it can take a while for it to be dealt with. It is particularly bad where the grafitti has been applied to the train fronts above the windscreens, as happens with Cl321s and Cl360s, because this is above the cantrail stripe and therefore requires attention at Ilford where the OLE on individual shed roads can be isolated.
Yes the fleet requires investment, and that is precisely the sort of thing I was referring to in my earlier post. I will say it again, NX has by far the largest fleet of pre-privatisation rolling stock of any London-based operator and probably of any TOC in the UK.
However, that doesn't mean that nothing has been done, although mostly these have been in-service modifications to improve safety and reliability.
I have no conflict of interest. The charge is that NX have failed to invest in Greater Anglia. As an "insider" I have the opportunity to answer that charge. If it conflicts with your views then I can only apologise.
This is my point. Greater Anglia has been allowed to become a backwater on a "make do and mend" attitude for far too long, dating way back to pre-sectorisation days under BR. The problems are just too deep-seated to be fixed by a change of franchisee. The DfT needs to sit up and take notice and start doing something about upgrading the network and replacing the rolling stock.
As I said, I only see it on some Car Stop boards. Where else should I be looking?
Cl321/4s were delivered new to the Euston suburban lines and operated by NSE (although some did find there way onto the GE). As far as I am aware Midland Mainline never operated any of these units, not even on a temporary loan basis, so they would not have been expected to carry out any work on them.
I'm still surprised FGE are being held up as a paragon of virtue when they reduced GEML seating capacity which is by far and away the biggest single issue. NX have brought in a complete step change in the peak capacity yet people are wibbling because the station nameboard hasn't been painted which obviously makes a big difference to your daily journey. I'd rather have a externally grubby 12 car than an ex-works 8 car every day of the week.
I can't see much getting better with Abellio. Getting rid of stock on routes bursting at the seams says enough about what they are looking for.
I'm still surprised FGE are being held up as a paragon of virtue when they reduced GEML seating capacity which is by far and away the biggest single issue. NX have brought in a complete step change in the peak capacity yet people are wibbling because the station nameboard hasn't been painted which obviously makes a big difference to your daily journey. I'd rather have a externally grubby 12 car than an ex-works 8 car every day of the week..
I think that was my point though?
"then they could take their time doing an upgrade of the stock that actually needs it rather than having to rush through a blanket refurb of every train."