• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

full compliment of class still in use

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,061
Location
Reston City Centre
That's a lot of EMUs in "storage" (rather than under repair etc), when we have crowded trains and DMUs running in place of EMUs elsewhere...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossforth

Established Member
Joined
20 Aug 2009
Messages
1,337
Location
Lancashire
Who said Eurostars coz u iz wrong, 373308 (or what is left of it) is stored at Temple Mills, it was moved by road (from North Pole) as there was no way there was enough to move by rail, after being used as a christmas tree.

This unit (I believe) has NEVER been used in passenger service.

Is that why only 6 and a half set were sent to France then?
 

158722

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2009
Messages
831
I'm racking my brains, and I *think* I recall an accident somewhere in Cheshire about 1991 with a loco running into the back of a 158 and bending the entire frame and bodyshell on the saloon side of the end doors.



47343. quote
06/92 47343. whilst working light engine from Manchester Victoria to Buxton, 'ran away' near Woodsmoor Junction and collided with DMU set 158 861, sustaiing major damage that led to its' withdrawal.

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_numbers.php?index=1&jndex=0&kndex=43&s_loco=47343
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Is that why only 6 and a half set were sent to France then?
Yes, 373307 is the "spare set", 373308 is nothing more than bare body-shells now.
47343. quote
06/92 47343. whilst working light engine from Manchester Victoria to Buxton, 'ran away' near Woodsmoor Junction and collided with DMU set 158 861, sustaiing major damage that led to its' withdrawal.

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_numbers.php?index=1&jndex=0&kndex=43&s_loco=47343

"Its withdrawal" refers to 47343 not the 158.
 

158722

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2009
Messages
831
"Its withdrawal" refers to 47343 not the 158.

Yes, I know, however, this is the accident which resulted in one car of 158861 being written off (52861 I think) and a replacement built, as noted earlier.
 

Vulcan

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2009
Messages
712
Location
Seaton, Devon
Who said Eurostars coz u iz wrong, 373308 (or what is left of it) is stored at Temple Mills, it was moved by road (from North Pole) as there was no way there was enough to move by rail, after being used as a christmas tree.

This unit (I believe) has NEVER been used in passenger service.

For the sake of this thread, does it count as being stored if its never been put into service in the first place?
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,853
Location
Epsom
If I may diverge for a moment, does the spare never-used class 158 bodyshell at Crewe works still exist?

I presume it was built as a "just in case" contingency after the 158 861 incident?
 

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,569
Despite a few nasty accidents all class 156s are still with us in service on the network.
 

westcoaster

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2006
Messages
4,513
Location
DTOS A or B
for the sake of the thread trains under construction can be included i.e 172's, as well as those with a stagered introduction i.e class 70's/378's.
ive also included 373's.

also units awaiting repair also count as they are still active i.e 450's , but units like the 508's stored up at telford do not as they are not active.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,809
Location
Central Belt
If I may diverge for a moment, does the spare never-used class 158 bodyshell at Crewe works still exist?

I presume it was built as a "just in case" contingency after the 158 861 incident?

That would be crazy if it has happened, run it around as a 3 coach set!

The fate of 158861 must have been while it was not carrying passengers as it is not listed on any rail accident sites (but the ones I have been looking at only include injuries and fatalities)
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,577
Location
Macclesfield
If I may diverge for a moment, does the spare never-used class 158 bodyshell at Crewe works still exist?

I presume it was built as a "just in case" contingency after the 158 861 incident?
The single vehicle known as 158 999 :)? My friend got a picture of it a few years back at (I think) Crewe works, so it was still extant as of around 2004 and I haven't heard reports of it going for scrap since, so I imagine that it's still with us. Has been used for crew training exercises in the past I believe.
 

westcoaster

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2006
Messages
4,513
Location
DTOS A or B
The single vehicle known as 158 999 :)? My friend got a picture of it a few years back at (I think) Crewe works, so it was still extant as of around 2004 and I haven't heard reports of it going for scrap since, so I imagine that it's still with us. Has been used for crew training exercises in the past I believe.

found a link to a picture of it http://mark5816.fotopic.net/p36932411.html

and here http://peters-uk-rail-pictures.fotopic.net/p20673269.html and an internal shot http://peters-uk-rail-pictures.fotopic.net/p20673268.html,
 

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2008
Messages
2,999
Location
Cambridge

It really is just a shell isn't it... you can't class that as a half unit not in use for the purposes of this thread!

Nice bogies, they look like they're from a HSFV. The second shot seems to have a Class 323 bodyshell in Intercity livery in the background.
 
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
806
Location
London
I read on these forums and thejunction.org.uk that 317511 is being (or is soon to be) prepared for a return to use (previously at Ilford OOU in One livery stripped of some parts here) which I believe will return all 317s to service, could be wrong...

That is the plan, however, it is proving some difficulty getting parts for it. For example, 511 has no end doors on either end and quite a few more parts missing that have been donated to other 317's. 511 is still at Ilford out of use, and its had all of its 'one' livery removed.
 

swt455

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2006
Messages
12
Location
In a few places.
just to keep everyone on the update, there's a 315 out of use in Ilford... don't know the number. Don't know quite if it counts as I don't know exactly what's wrong with it, just that it's out of use currently.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,853
Location
Epsom
Because the bodyshell was twisted, I think - these things have an integral construction, ie they are built like a tin can.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,809
Location
Central Belt

I am not sure if it was the same incident but I do recall a Cleethorpes - Manchester Airport service having a run-away incident at Stockport around that time. The driver saw it coming and move himself and the passengers into the back set. I wonder if that was the reason?

I suspect that as the spare shell was available it was cheaper to use it then rebuild it. I am sure that it is not worse damaged then the unit in Barrow-upon-Soar was.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top