tbtc
Veteran Member
That's a lot of EMUs in "storage" (rather than under repair etc), when we have crowded trains and DMUs running in place of EMUs elsewhere...
Who said Eurostars coz u iz wrong, 373308 (or what is left of it) is stored at Temple Mills, it was moved by road (from North Pole) as there was no way there was enough to move by rail, after being used as a christmas tree.
This unit (I believe) has NEVER been used in passenger service.
I'm racking my brains, and I *think* I recall an accident somewhere in Cheshire about 1991 with a loco running into the back of a 158 and bending the entire frame and bodyshell on the saloon side of the end doors.
Yes, 373307 is the "spare set", 373308 is nothing more than bare body-shells now.Is that why only 6 and a half set were sent to France then?
47343. quote
06/92 47343. whilst working light engine from Manchester Victoria to Buxton, 'ran away' near Woodsmoor Junction and collided with DMU set 158 861, sustaiing major damage that led to its' withdrawal.
http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_numbers.php?index=1&jndex=0&kndex=43&s_loco=47343
"Its withdrawal" refers to 47343 not the 158.
Who said Eurostars coz u iz wrong, 373308 (or what is left of it) is stored at Temple Mills, it was moved by road (from North Pole) as there was no way there was enough to move by rail, after being used as a christmas tree.
This unit (I believe) has NEVER been used in passenger service.
Despite a few nasty accidents all class 156s are still with us in service on the network.
But is it stored or under repair?
but units like the 508's stored up at telford do not as they are not active.
If I may diverge for a moment, does the spare never-used class 158 bodyshell at Crewe works still exist?
I presume it was built as a "just in case" contingency after the 158 861 incident?
The single vehicle known as 158 999If I may diverge for a moment, does the spare never-used class 158 bodyshell at Crewe works still exist?
I presume it was built as a "just in case" contingency after the 158 861 incident?
? My friend got a picture of it a few years back at (I think) Crewe works, so it was still extant as of around 2004 and I haven't heard reports of it going for scrap since, so I imagine that it's still with us. Has been used for crew training exercises in the past I believe.The single vehicle known as 158 999? My friend got a picture of it a few years back at (I think) Crewe works, so it was still extant as of around 2004 and I haven't heard reports of it going for scrap since, so I imagine that it's still with us. Has been used for crew training exercises in the past I believe.
found a link to a picture of it http://mark5816.fotopic.net/p36932411.html
and here http://peters-uk-rail-pictures.fotopic.net/p20673269.html and an internal shot http://peters-uk-rail-pictures.fotopic.net/p20673268.html,
I read on these forums and thejunction.org.uk that 317511 is being (or is soon to be) prepared for a return to use (previously at Ilford OOU in One livery stripped of some parts here) which I believe will return all 317s to service, could be wrong...
just to keep everyone on the update, there's a 315 out of use in ilford... Don't know the number. Don't know quite if it counts as i don't know exactly what's wrong with it, just that it's out of use currently.
... ie they are built like a tin can.
Pic of 158861s mishap here (not mine)
http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/...ouble/?action=view¤t=52861Stockport.jpg