• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

full compliment of class still in use

Status
Not open for further replies.

westcoaster

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2006
Messages
4,508
Location
DTOS A or B
I was thinking the other day, how many classes of units/locos still have a full compliment in use, by this i mean in active use and not stored/scrapped. also on the unit front a class of unit even if one coach has been scrapped does not count.

ill start, and ill add any more to the list.

Units

319's/460's/360's/333's/378's/375's/318's/320's/322's/334's/350's/332's/357's/373's/442's/395's/313's/315's
144's/153's/185's/22x's/166's/168's/171's/175's/172's/156's

locos

class 70's/91's
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Class 67s are still in service as far as I am aware.
 

westcoaster

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2006
Messages
4,508
Location
DTOS A or B
IIRC there are still 43 Class 466s about .... as well as all the 465s ....

Forgot to mention 375s.

im sure there are a few 466/465's strored , 466029 was/is being used as a christmas tree last time i heard.

ajax103 there are 3 x 67's stored.

ainsworth74 there are several class 180's stored
 
Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
im sure there are a few 466/465's strored , 466029 was/is being used as a christmas tree last time i heard.

ajax103 there are 3 x 67's stored.

ainsworth74 there are several class 180's stored

Are there, which 67s are stored then?
 

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2008
Messages
2,999
Location
Cambridge
I read on these forums and thejunction.org.uk that 317511 is being (or is soon to be) prepared for a return to use (previously at Ilford OOU in One livery stripped of some parts here) which I believe will return all 317s to service, could be wrong...
 

GearJammer

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
897
Location
On the Southern
I believe all the 59's are still on the go, i know a couple are waiting for parts, wheelsets i think but as far as im aware there still in traffic!
 

ChampsRacing

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2007
Messages
269
Location
London
So are all the 444s, 450s, 455s and 456s.

Nope 450560 is out of action since january from catching fire at weybridge, the driver trailer is with 450106 currently with the middle two coaches in wimbledon park.
Also 450548 is running around with 450024s leading coach, 024 itself is also out of action currently sitting at wimbledon park since january awaiting repair.
Also a few 455s are out of action due to vandalism hence why a few 4 cars are rolling about on swt at the moment.
 
Last edited:

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
1,432
Location
South Liverpool
I was thinking the other day, how many classes off units/locos still have a full compliment in use, by this i mean in active use and not stored/scrapped. also on the unit front a class off unit even if one coach has been scrapped does not count.

ill start, and ill add any more to the list.

Units

319's/460's/360's/333's/378's/375's/318's/320's/322's/334's/350's/332's/357's
158's/144's/153's/185's/22x's/166's/168's/171's

locos

class 70's/91's

I thought it was a typo at first, but are you actually incapable of spelling the word "of"?
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,052
Location
Bristol
158s should not be on the list.
One half of 158861 was scrapped.
A replacement vehicle was built and given the same number.

There was a 377 out of traffic due to accident damage, but I think it has now been repaired.
 
Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,805
Location
Central Belt
158s should not be on the list.
One half of 158861 was scrapped.
A replacement vehicle was built and given the same number.

There was a 377 out of traffic due to accident damage, but I think it has now been repaired.

When? As a result of what?

Depends how much down the sub-class route you want to go 150/0 & 150/1's are all in service but the 150 class is of course no longer fully in service following the death of 52205 & 52212.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,303
Nope 450560 is out of action since january from catching fire at weybridge, the driver trailer is with 450106 currently with the middle two coaches in wimbledon park.
Also 450548 is running around with 450024s leading coach, 024 itself is also out of action currently sitting at wimbledon park since january awaiting repair.
Also a few 455s are out of action due to vandalism hence why a few 4 cars are rolling about on swt at the moment.

But none of that meets the OP's definition, which was 'stored or scrapped'.

Awaiting repair, or reformed during repair is neither of those...
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,052
Location
Bristol
One half of 158861 was written off when just a few months old, so quickly in fact that the production line was still in use, albeit now making 159s, so building the extra vehicle wasn't a problem.
I can't remember how it was written off, but I do remember going round the back of Derby Works to try to see the thing. This was one of the first examples of not following the usual practice of not reusing numbers for a certain period after a vehicle's withdrawal.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,805
Location
Central Belt
One half of 158861 was written off when just a few months old, so quickly in fact that the production line was still in use, albeit now making 159s, so building the extra vehicle wasn't a problem.
I can't remember how it was written off, but I do remember going round the back of Derby Works to try to see the thing. This was one of the first examples of not following the usual practice of not reusing numbers for a certain period after a vehicle's withdrawal.

I have been trying to google what happened as well, but can only really find the same as what you have put it was writen off a few months old. Must have been a major crash (unless it was the same as say Barrow-on-soar but as the production line was still running it just made it cheaper to replace rather than repair) wonder what happened.
 

A60K

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2008
Messages
1,030
Location
Kilburn
I have been trying to google what happened as well, but can only really find the same as what you have put it was writen off a few months old. Must have been a major crash (unless it was the same as say Barrow-on-soar but as the production line was still running it just made it cheaper to replace rather than repair) wonder what happened.

I'm racking my brains, and I *think* I recall an accident somewhere in Cheshire about 1991 with a loco running into the back of a 158 and bending the entire frame and bodyshell on the saloon side of the end doors.


 

Dreadnought

Member
Joined
1 Oct 2007
Messages
586

How can you quote 378s when the full compliment hasn't been delivered yet?

Same goes for Class 70s as well as the next 6 are in various stages of being built.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
All the 155s that were not converted to 153s are still going strong, along with 313s, 315s and 321s as far as I'm aware.

I'm still amazed a 144 was never scrapped after it crashed into and wrote off 37681!
 

Vulcan

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2009
Messages
712
Location
Seaton, Devon
Nobody seems to have mentioned 221s, 220s and 222s yet (as far as I can see).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
wait a minute, yes they have.

Eurostars?
 

Dreadnought

Member
Joined
1 Oct 2007
Messages
586
I read on these forums and thejunction.org.uk that 317511 is being (or is soon to be) prepared for a return to use (previously at Ilford OOU in One livery stripped of some parts here) which I believe will return all 317s to service, could be wrong...

Apparently there have been 2 coach 77000s in unit 317501 (377301 as was) due to an accident at Cricklewood. Found this out whilst trying to find more details on 158861. There is also some mention of 321420 have 2 new coaches, never heard that one before.
 

87015

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2006
Messages
5,078
Location
GEML/WCML/SR
Apparently there have been 2 coach 77000s in unit 317501 (377301 as was) due to an accident at Cricklewood. Found this out whilst trying to find more details on 158861. There is also some mention of 321420 have 2 new coaches, never heard that one before.

321420 was involved in the Watford collision of 1996. Not sure if they were new carriages or very heavy rebuilds though.
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
I'm racking my brains, and I *think* I recall an accident somewhere in Cheshire about 1991 with a loco running into the back of a 158 and bending the entire frame and bodyshell on the saloon side of the end doors.



Was a JCB IIRC, it was a repair in the end - took about 2 years (and probably would have been quicker to build a new one...)
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Who said Eurostars coz u iz wrong, 373308 (or what is left of it) is stored at Temple Mills, it was moved by road (from North Pole) as there was no way there was enough to move by rail, after being used as a christmas tree.

This unit (I believe) has NEVER been used in passenger service.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top