• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Former Grand Central HSTs now with EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domh245

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2013
Messages
8,426
Location
nowhere
It's interesting that the first class IC70s have been done in red, rather than blue.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,879
It's interesting that the first class IC70s have been done in red, rather than blue.
That’s in the first class vehicle that is permanently declassified to standard, which does make sense.
 

Rail Blues

Member
Joined
2 Aug 2016
Messages
608
I would say that feeling that it is acceptable to have to make a choice between standing or getting a poorly positioned seat is also a symptom of the rail passenger's equivalent of Stockholm syndrome ;)

I'd say that it is an acknowledgement that in the context of a decade or more of passenger growth and finite train length, that something has got to give.
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,301
Location
East Midlands
That’s in the first class vehicle that is permanently declassified to standard, which does make sense.
This will be a good coach to head for if you're travelling standard - apart from the obvious (having a bigger seat and more legroom) it'll probably be underused because some people will say "Ooo, this looks like first class" and avoid it, despite the declassification and seat colour.
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,305
Location
South West London
This will be a good coach to head for if you're travelling standard - apart from the obvious (having a bigger seat and more legroom) it'll probably be underused because some people will say "Ooo, this looks like first class" and avoid it, despite the declassification and seat colour.

It was a very nice ride in that coach back before EMT refurbished it. And it rung true what you said about most passengers thinking it was first class - even I had to double check!
 

Harbon 1

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2011
Messages
1,020
Location
Burton on Trent
This will be a good coach to head for if you're travelling standard - apart from the obvious (having a bigger seat and more legroom) it'll probably be underused because some people will say "Ooo, this looks like first class" and avoid it, despite the declassification and seat colour.
There was no sticker to say “Standard” anywhere, only stitching on the antimacasas. I enjoyed my very comfortable journey with two other people in the entire carriage :D most people just walked through to what they knew was standard. I must admit I did have to look twice to make sure!
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,367
Location
Yorkshire
It was a very nice ride in that coach back before EMT refurbished it. And it rung true what you said about most passengers thinking it was first class - even I had to double check!
Gave me a nice, comfortable ride from York to Kings Cross back in May 2016... given the events later that day, it may be a good luck charm!
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
Can anyone confirm if the catering car in DY23 is 40204, or something different, please?
 

sbd

Member
Joined
20 Sep 2015
Messages
9
43480 and 484 worked a stp to Leeds service this afternoon on a full emt rake,
 

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
Does anyone know why today's DY022 diagram was a 4 car 222 today?
Was full and standing between Leicester and Loughborough.
 

43055

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
3,692
Does anyone know why today's DY022 diagram was a 4 car 222 today?
Was full and standing between Leicester and Loughborough.
Failed on Etches Park this morning. I think DY21 is still in for referb and the other set (it think) had only 1 power car on as the other end had a 43/0 which was not coupled up to the set.
 

HOOVER29

Member
Joined
26 Mar 2009
Messages
605
Had 43423 & 43465 head to Sheffield as 5C52 today from Etches park, Derby.
Later worked 1C52 from Sheffield to St Pancras which I had from Derby to East Midlands Parkway.
Very rapid on acceleration they were.
 

jfowkes

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2017
Messages
1,271
Is there any way of knowing ahead of time whether a particular train will be one of these ex-GC HSTs or not?

I've tried on real time trains and I can't see that it distinguishes between "normal" HSTs and these ones. But I don't really know what to look for.

I ask partly out of curiosity, partly because I have a bike and it would be super useful to know in advance.
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,305
Location
South West London
Is there any way of knowing ahead of time whether a particular train will be one of these ex-GC HSTs or not?

I've tried on real time trains and I can't see that it distinguishes between "normal" HSTs and these ones. But I don't really know what to look for.

I ask partly out of curiosity, partly because I have a bike and it would be super useful to know in advance.
Is there any way of knowing ahead of time whether a particular train will be one of these ex-GC HSTs or not?

I've tried on real time trains and I can't see that it distinguishes between "normal" HSTs and these ones. But I don't really know what to look for.

I ask partly out of curiosity, partly because I have a bike and it would be super useful to know in advance.

I beleive it says it in the timetable that bikes can't be carried on that particular service.
 

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
Is there any way of knowing ahead of time whether a particular train will be one of these ex-GC HSTs or not?

I've tried on real time trains and I can't see that it distinguishes between "normal" HSTs and these ones. But I don't really know what to look for.

I ask partly out of curiosity, partly because I have a bike and it would be super useful to know in advance.

The 43/0 based at NL work the xx45 NOT - STP (except the 1945) services, and xx34 STP - NOT services, plus late evening services to Sheffield/Leeds.

The 43/4 ex GC sets have their own diagrams which are:

DY021 5C52 12+31 EP-SHF, 1C52 1359 SHF-STP, 1M56 1650 STP-COR, 1P71 1831 COR-STP,
1F73 2031 STP-DBY, 5F73 22+25 DBY-EP.

DY022 5C92 07+09 EP-DBY, 1C92 0731 DBY-STP, 1D24 1005 STP-NOT, 1B79 1945 NOT-STP,
1D81 2200 STP-NOT, 5D81 00+30 NOT-EP.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,879
Is there any way of knowing ahead of time whether a particular train will be one of these ex-GC HSTs or not?

I've tried on real time trains and I can't see that it distinguishes between "normal" HSTs and these ones. But I don't really know what to look for.

I ask partly out of curiosity, partly because I have a bike and it would be super useful to know in advance.
Diagrams on the 125 Group website show what is booked to work on the various HST circuits: https://www.125group.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/HST-Diags-EMT.pdf

Diagrams DY021 and DY022 are those booked to be worked by the ex-Grand Central sets.
 

jfowkes

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2017
Messages
1,271
Thanks, that's very helpful!

EMT's website at least doesn't mention anything about bicycles for those services. I guess they want you to ring and reserve either way, so it's a bit moot.
 

Railperf

Established Member
Joined
30 Oct 2017
Messages
3,684
Rode the 10.50 Stp to Nott today. It was delayed by a 222 halted on the down main north of West Hampstead. So 10 late past Cricklewood...but after that a storming performance. Who said these old girls are dead?
 

Railperf

Established Member
Joined
30 Oct 2017
Messages
3,684
Had 43423 & 43465 head to Sheffield as 5C52 today from Etches park, Derby.
Later worked 1C52 from Sheffield to St Pancras which I had from Derby to East Midlands Parkway.
Very rapid on acceleration they were.
They are surprisingly fast accelerating. Virtually as quick as a 222 - the 222 is only 5 seconds ahead after 7 miles.
 

Railperf

Established Member
Joined
30 Oct 2017
Messages
3,684
They are surprisingly fast accelerating. Virtually as quick as a 222 - the 222 is only 5 seconds ahead after 7 miles.
And here is a run leaving Luton Airport Parkway 10 minutes late - 125mph in under 5 mins!!
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,575
Location
Macclesfield
Coach D I believe, the declassified TF with red seats.
It's a pity that more services don't offer this feature (and have trains long enough to do so): Declassified first class luxury for bearers of full price open tickets! :p I always made a beeline for the declassified first vehicle when Grand Central were operating these sets.
 

nat67

Established Member
Joined
23 Apr 2014
Messages
1,477
Location
Warwickshire
It's a pity that more services don't offer this feature (and have trains long enough to do so): Declassified first class luxury for bearers of full price open tickets! :p I always made a beeline for the declassified first vehicle when Grand Central were operating these sets.
GWR HST's can/could offer that as the set's where totally mixed up so you could find a Buffet was de-classified or a composite was de-classed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top