rustbucket
Member
- Joined
- 3 Jan 2016
- Messages
- 144
I believe it is going for an exam. Don't ask me why at EC though. http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O95025/2018/05/03/advanced
Wheel lathe?
I believe it is going for an exam. Don't ask me why at EC though. http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O95025/2018/05/03/advanced
Well it could be that's where they were based and they could still do the exam there rather than going to Craigentinny.Wheel lathe?
Why do EMT crews need training on HSTs?
Is the vast experience they already have on HSTs the 'wrong sort of training' ?
And plus there are no TGS's on the GC sets which also makes a slight difference along with the SDO.For Train Managers and Senior Conductors it's a completely different SDO system on the coaches.
For Drivers there are also some significant differences with the power cars that extend further than just a different engine.
I've seen a few Mk3s in a similar livery to that of the plain white Mk3 in the ex-GC set up at Derby kicking around in the Bombardier A shop in Ilford along with a ROG-looking 47.
Any one know if this is all part of the GC - EMT transfer of HSTs?
Are those not AGA?
Arrived as 5L46 http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O95180/2018/05/04/advanced2 FGW buffet cars with a 47 and barrier vans ready to leave Ely 90 minutes or so ago - I assume they're headed for Derby.
Would you care to expand on what those differences are? Other than engine type and the presence of buffers, I cannot think of any other significant differences.For Drivers there are also some significant differences with the power cars that extend further than just a different engine.
In think he cab desk is very slightly different in that there is an extra button or two and that is about it/a button might be in a different place. Nothing major.Would you care to expand on what those differences are? Other than engine type and the presence of buffers, I cannot think of any other significant differences.
Thanks. So not the "significant differences" that "Kneedown" stated, then.In think he cab desk is very slightly different in that there is an extra button or two and that is about it/a button might be in a different place. Nothing major.
I recall when then were refurbished that they were actually somewhat different mechanically or electrically and had some different and more experimental/advanced internals (partly leading to the 43/4 designation).In think he cab desk is very slightly different in that there is an extra button or two and that is about it/a button might be in a different place. Nothing major.
Thanks. So not the "significant differences" that "Kneedown" stated, then.
Drivers don't just press stop and go though do they. When something goes wrong they need to understand something about nuts and bolts, and any change in functionality needs to be understood and trained onThanks. So not the "significant differences" that "Kneedown" stated, then.
This!Comparing videos on youtube, I'd say that the desk layout aren't exactly similar. TPWS panel, DRA, & AWS reset buttons are all in different locations, and there are some things present in the GC cab that aren't present in the EMT cab. I'm not even going to try and suggest what differences there are in terms of switches and buttons because I can't read it well enough in the videos but there will be some
Grand Central vs EMT
And that is just the cab layout! There will be differences in terms of equipment fitted beyond the cab. Either way, I'd be inclined to trust the EMT driver instructor over the 18 year old (no offence intended)
Most TOCs now get drivers to "phone a friend" (aka maintenance control) when they get technical issues, who will talk them through what they need to do. The old days of drivers fixing stuff are seemingly endangered - the old hands still know how to fix faults, but the new ones are not usually trained to do so.Drivers don't just press stop and go though do they. When something goes wrong they need to understand something about nuts and bolts, and any change in functionality needs to be understood and trained on
All of them, that's how the SDO works. Drivers are getting a brief on them, and Train Managers are getting a number of days traction conversion because of the SDO system which is the only way to operate the doors.Which stations will these sets need to use SDO at? I can only think of Long Eaton?
Well I didn't know there was that much of a change. I was going off my dad's knowledge for that as I haven't seen a GC cab desk and I have been in numerous EMT cabs.Comparing videos on youtube, I'd say that the desk layout aren't exactly similar. TPWS panel, DRA, & AWS reset buttons are all in different locations, and there are some things present in the GC cab that aren't present in the EMT cab. I'm not even going to try and suggest what differences there are in terms of switches and buttons because I can't read it well enough in the videos but there will be some
Grand Central vs EMT
And that is just the cab layout! There will be differences in terms of equipment fitted beyond the cab. Either way, I'd be inclined to trust the EMT driver instructor over the 18 year old (no offence intended)
Most TOCs now get drivers to "phone a friend" (aka maintenance control) when they get technical issues, who will talk them through what they need to do. The old days of drivers fixing stuff are seemingly endangered - the old hands still know how to fix faults, but the new ones are not usually trained to do so.
In any case, other than the engine type (and presence of buffers) there are not huge differences between EMT power cars and the former GC cars, as noted above. Other than that, both have Brush cooler groups and both have the upgraded Brush electronics. Cab layout has minor differences.
Thanks. So not the "significant differences" that "Kneedown" stated, then.
43467 and 43468 are coming home from there small holiday in Scotland tomorrow.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K96120/2018/05/17/advanced
Yeah they are all still the same numbers.43423 was out of the shed at Etches park on Monday with its 'Valenta' nameplate and 40 years plate on. But I couldn't ID the number assuming it was still 43423.
Seems like they decided to extend their holiday a tad longer...
It does as it appears they have stopped off at NL on the way back (possibly yo collect some coaches) and head to Derby just gone midnight tonight arriving around 3am.They'd better come back soon, they are required from Monday!