• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Rail London - Trainee Driver - Recruitment Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Burry

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2024
Messages
104
Location
london
You know what I think I’ve messed up second and and third part. What about yourself ?
Second part took me by surprise. It’s so small. Especially when it gets to high demand, things start going really fast. 3rd part I got used to it. Made a few errors on 2nd part. Not really sure what my outcome will be

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

You know what I think I’ve messed up second and and third part. What about yourself ?
How many mistakes did you think you made?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Done it yesterday. 1st and 2nd part very straightforward. 3rd part got me a little. I think I answered ~150 in total and got 6 wrong. Reached the ‘high demand’ area a couple times
That’s really good. Only 6 errors. I made more than that in 2nd part. 3rd part a few too
 

Barksdale

Member
Joined
5 Jun 2025
Messages
78
Location
North West London
Second part took me by surprise. It’s so small. Especially when it gets to high demand, things start going really fast. 3rd part I got used to it. Made a few errors on 2nd part. Not really sure what my outcome will be

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


How many mistakes did you think you made?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


That’s really good. Only 6 errors. I made more than that in 2nd part. 3rd part a few too
Yeah around 6 on part 3 and 4/5 on 2nd. Goodluck to you all though! 20 spots and god knows how many applicants..
 

Burry

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2024
Messages
104
Location
london
Any advice on what to expect? Going to do mine later this evening
Did you practice? If so you did all you could do. Be calm and do your best

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Yeah around 6 on part 3 and 4/5 on 2nd. Goodluck to you all though! 20 spots and god knows how many applicants..
Thousands I’m guessing. But was open only for 2 days then closed.
 

Business Bob

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2018
Messages
140
Location
London
This is in preparation for West London shuttles where trains will shuttle to and from Clapham and eventual evolve into part of west London orbital

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Potentially only 20 places

So the plan is back on to reverse in the sidings at the North pole area. They made me and others learn that when I was still there and I left 4 years ago :D. Having said that I thought they recruited for that before and that's why they are/were over compliment.

Yes 20 trainees for the rescheduled WLL shuttles now planned for May 2026 timetable. Nothing to do with West London Orbital. If ARL plan to have them passed out by then, you're probably looking at courses starting in and around September?

We were over compliment when the WLL shuttles was originally planned, recruited for and then scrapped, but thanks to attrition through retirements, terminations, lateral transfers and drivers leaving for other TOCs were back to compliment.

Yes @baz962 plan is to use Scrubs Lane Sidings to turn services.

Yeah around 6 on part 3 and 4/5 on 2nd. Goodluck to you all though! 20 spots and god knows how many applicants..
I can tell you this. On the last intake out of the 1000s of applicants only 23 passed all assessments and made it to DMI Stage.
 
Last edited:

Burry

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2024
Messages
104
Location
london
Yes 20 trainees for the rescheduled WLL shuttles now planned for May 2026 timetable. Nothing to do with West London Orbital. If ARL plan to have them passed out by then, you're probably looking at courses starting in and around September?

We were over compliment when the WLL shuttles was originally planned, recruited for and then scrapped, but thanks to attrition through retirements, terminations, lateral transfers and drivers leaving for other TOCs were back to compliment.

Yes @baz962 plan is to use Scrubs Lane Sidings to turn services.


I can tell you this. On the last intake out of the 1000s of applicants only 23 passed all assessments and made it to DMI Stage.
That shows how hard the tests really are
 

Zb0905

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2023
Messages
393
Location
London
Just completed the test I quite enjoyed it to be honest the second one threw me off a bit but other then that I thought I done well especially the last bit together
 

Burry

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2024
Messages
104
Location
london
Just completed the test I quite enjoyed it to be honest the second one threw me off a bit but other then that I thought I done well especially the last bit together
How many mistakes do you think you made altogether?
 

Burry

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2024
Messages
104
Location
london
I can’t remember but it weren’t many it all seems a blur now but I see more green then red
It goes really fast. That’s great. It’s a waiting game now.

Does anyone know how long it takes for VSE results to come after deadline?
 

Barksdale

Member
Joined
5 Jun 2025
Messages
78
Location
North West London
Yh

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Anyone got result back from OPC in regards to VSE test?
Yeah, got an email earlier. Passed the VSE and been invited to the assessment centre on 30th June. I’m going on holiday a day before so that’s very annoying. We can’t even reschedule which is very annoying so no idea what to do..
 

Burry

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2024
Messages
104
Location
london
Yeah, got an email earlier. Passed the VSE and been invited to the assessment centre on 30th June. I’m going on holiday a day before so that’s very annoying. We can’t even reschedule which is very annoying so no idea what to do..
Congratulations. What time did you receive the email?
Anyone else got anything?
I haven’t received anything yet
 

Pintman

Member
Joined
13 Dec 2023
Messages
191
Location
The Pub
Yeah, got an email earlier. Passed the VSE and been invited to the assessment centre on 30th June. I’m going on holiday a day before so that’s very annoying. We can’t even reschedule which is very annoying so no idea what to do..
Tell them you won't attend and ask if there will be any other days available later. Or postpone your holiday...
 

louie333

Member
Joined
5 Jun 2025
Messages
6
Location
london
My deadline was Saturday 14th so I think it was different deadlines for everyone…feel like I did well but we will see
 

Barksdale

Member
Joined
5 Jun 2025
Messages
78
Location
North West London
Congratulations. What time did you receive the email?
Anyone else got anything?
I haven’t received anything yet
7:14pm brother, hopefully you get yours soon!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Tell them you won't attend and ask if there will be any other days available later. Or postpone your holiday...
Yeah, just weighing up my options. Email says there’s no alternative dates for the first assessment. Only option is to be placed into a talent pool for future vacancies ( which I don’t really trust )
 

iwanttobefree

New Member
Joined
12 Jun 2025
Messages
3
Location
London
Anyone else waiting to hear back? I’m starting to think I have been rejected because of my location because I feel like I done quite well on the test. Maybe ~6-7 errors on each.
 

Barksdale

Member
Joined
5 Jun 2025
Messages
78
Location
North West London
I haven’t heard from them yet. Does it usually take time for them to let us know. They have told you about your result.

Has anyone else got reply from OPC yet?
Not too sure, first time ever going through any train driver application.. but seeing as there was a different deadline set for @louie333 I think it’s safe to assume no news isn’t bad news. Just be sure to keep the 30th afternoon free incase you get the email confirmation
 

Top