• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Rail London - Trainee Driver - Recruitment Discussion

M_B14

Member
Joined
1 Oct 2024
Messages
20
Location
London
I've queried this with the Union this week, as someone did ask and was told no by recruitment if you are outside the 60mins from Willesden. It was much simpler to do when ARL handled the recruitment and they weren't too strict with the 60min rule. With Arriva recruitment they aren't as flexible.
Genuine question. With the 60 minute commute time rule, do they calculate it by the use of public transport or car. By the use of PT, it takes me roughly 70 minutes to get to Willesden but If I do drive its 50 minutes. Would they accept my application?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Business Bob

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2018
Messages
140
Location
London
Genuine question. With the 60 minute commute time rule, do they calculate it by the use of public transport or car. By the use of PT, it takes me roughly 70 minutes to get to Willesden but If I do drive its 45 minutes. Would they accept my application?
I believe it is by public transport
 

M_B14

Member
Joined
1 Oct 2024
Messages
20
Location
London
Application has now been closed after 3 days. Anyone who has applied should check their emails to submit additional form.
 
Last edited:

Burry

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2024
Messages
104
Location
london
Just received an email this morning to do a VSE - Visual Search Excercise assessment, anyone know what to expect?
I haven’t received this yet. Has anyone else received this yet?

They asked for me to fill in additional form by Tuesday 3rd June. After that I’m waiting. Anyone else on same boat?
 

Barksdale

Member
Joined
5 Jun 2025
Messages
78
Location
North West London
Whether or not you’ve been invited to do the assessment or whether you’ve passed the VSE? I received my invite at 9:19am so not sure if the emails were sent out in one go

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Yes I have
Have you done it before? Know what to expect ?
 

Zb0905

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2023
Messages
393
Location
London
Whether or not you’ve been invited to do the assessment or whether you’ve passed the VSE? I received my invite at 9:19am so not sure if the emails were sent out in one go

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Have you done it before? Know what to expect ?
Never done it

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Whether or not you’ve been invited to do the assessment or whether you’ve passed the VSE? I received my invite at 9:19am so not sure if the emails were sent out in one go

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Have you done it before? Know what to expect ?
I got mine at 9:12 am
 

taani007

Member
Joined
24 May 2025
Messages
13
Location
london
Has anyone used software from trainee train driver info website for VSE ? I was thinking to buy one to practice
 

Barksdale

Member
Joined
5 Jun 2025
Messages
78
Location
North West London
Does anyone know how long the complete process roughly takes? Is there anyone from a previous campaign who has rough dates for training start dates?
 

moonie95

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2023
Messages
188
Location
UK
Does anyone know how long the complete process roughly takes? Is there anyone from a previous campaign who has rough dates for training start dates?
I applied first in November 2023 when Trainee Driver Roles for New Cross Gate depot was advertised for a start date of April 2024. Invited to do the online VSE and SJT in November 2023 and passed that. Then invited to the Day 1 assessment in January 2024 and passed that. Then invited to Day 2 assessment in March 2024 at OPC office Watford. Found out I passed all the OPC assessments in the begging of April and the training dates for Aprils had been pushed back to October 2024. Invited to the DMI at Southwark in June 2024 and found out I passed end of June. Then was waiting for the October 2024 start date however was told it was delayed and was advised we would be put in for new training dates at the beginning of 2025 however due to business needs this was cancelled and was told we’ve been put in a talent pool till business needs for trainee drivers at NXG.
 

Barksdale

Member
Joined
5 Jun 2025
Messages
78
Location
North West London
I applied first in November 2023 when Trainee Driver Roles for New Cross Gate depot was advertised for a start date of April 2024. Invited to do the online VSE and SJT in November 2023 and passed that. Then invited to the Day 1 assessment in January 2024 and passed that. Then invited to Day 2 assessment in March 2024 at OPC office Watford. Found out I passed all the OPC assessments in the begging of April and the training dates for Aprils had been pushed back to October 2024. Invited to the DMI at Southwark in June 2024 and found out I passed end of June. Then was waiting for the October 2024 start date however was told it was delayed and was advised we would be put in for new training dates at the beginning of 2025 however due to business needs this was cancelled and was told we’ve been put in a talent pool till business needs for trainee drivers at NXG.
Wow, quite a lengthy process! Are the assessment centres held on one day for each round or several? I’m trying understand numbers as there was 20 trainee roles advertised for this campaign. How did you find the assessment days? Anything you would look out for in particular? Is there some sort of grading criteria they go by to establish some sort of ranking system?. If the previous cohort hasn’t even started training dates then I guess it’s safe to assume we won’t be starting for a similar time frame. Unless ofcourse business needs is thru the roof and they need everyone in one go.

I’m planning on doing my VSE today or tomorrow. I’m guessing it’s fairly straightforward? I found a YouTube video which shows a guy on a screen following a pattern of arrows which light up one by one and they skip an arrow at times and you need to clock when it skips.. is it something similar? You also mentioned SJT. Was that taken online at the same time as VSE or do they email you the link for that once you pass the VSE? Apologies for all the questioning - I just like to be meticulous and try to understand the complete process
 

Burry

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2024
Messages
104
Location
london
For the first part they only asked us to do VSE only. SJT will be when we pass and get invited to Watford assessments

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

So your saying after passing the VSE it could take few months then invites for OPC Watford right?
 

Jaytrains

Member
Joined
20 Nov 2017
Messages
585
For the first part they only asked us to do VSE only. SJT will be when we pass and get invited to Watford assessments

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

So your saying after passing the VSE it could take few months then invites for OPC Watford right?
It really depends you know, you can’t put a timing on train driver applications, sometimes they move fast once everyone has completed their opc and sometimes they move slow depending on how desperate they are for drivers
 

LukeyJ-MK

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2015
Messages
7
It also says Willesden on the advert. I thought they were over compliment.
This is in preparation for West London shuttles where trains will shuttle to and from Clapham and eventual evolve into part of west London orbital

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Yeah no harm in throwing your hat in the ring. Nothing to lose.

Course says November 2023 start, does anyone know how many they (approximately) looking for each of the two depots advertised?
Potentially only 20 places
 

baz962

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2017
Messages
3,670
This is in preparation for West London shuttles where trains will shuttle to and from Clapham and eventual evolve into part of west London orbital

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Potentially only 20 places
So the plan is back on to reverse in the sidings at the North pole area. They made me and others learn that when I was still there and I left 4 years ago :D. Having said that I thought they recruited for that before and that's why they are/were over compliment.
 

Top