• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Films you've seen/film discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scott118

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2015
Messages
928
Location
East Anglia
Race - it's not a bad film, however as we all know the end result and the reasoning, it's kinda predictable, to some degree, with an all american hero...

Hail, Caesar - I'm unsure what is the best way to describe it in all honesty. I'll have to watch it again to give a better evaluation of it...strong cast list.

He never died - oddball. Henry Rollin plays the part of Jack well. Can't think of anyone better to play this role. Interesting theme. Knows how to take a punch for sure - however i can appreciate, it is the movies....

I always link the film to IMDB, as these probably give a better overall rating of the films, from a broader audience.
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
Today it was Speed 1, 2, & 3.
1 is the one on the bus, and later a subway train. An absolute classic thiller, perfect in every way and action packed 5/5.
2 is the one on a cruise ship. Disapointing and predictable, good filming though, still exciting in places 3/5.
3 is the one on the milkfloat. This one was very funny in places, the special effects and action scenes let it down a bit though 4/5.
 

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
The Quiet Earth - low budget sci-fi from New Zealand, no Hollywood stars, no aliens, no spaceships, minimal specal effects but intelligent science fiction with an enigmatic ending. Far superior to most of the overhyped stuff that comes out of Hollywood. 7.0/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089869/?ref_=rvi_tt
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
.
MacGruber
- If you enjoy spoofs like Airplane, Naked Gun and Team America this could be a film for you. Some may find it crude, disgusting, childish, full of toilet humour and bad language, well that's why I like it. If I tell you that I can't name the villain as it would probably be censored it should give you some idea of the general tone. 7.5/10

(The villain's name is C**th)
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
HA HA HA! :lol: I'm guessing that's the Father Ted episode? :D
Yes it was. I still preferred it to Speed 2 though!

DaleCooper, if you like Naked Gun I suggest you watch Wrongfully Accused, Spy Hard, & National Lampoons Loaded Weapon. All are funny. :)

I did watch a film with Samuel L Jackson & Milla Jovovich the other day, No Good Deeds, it was about the woman playing all the men to get the illegal money, Jackson was a copper held as a hostage who fell for Milla. Some good scenes of the Resident Evil actress. 2/5
 
Last edited by a moderator:

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
Yes it was. I still preferred it to Speed 2 though!

DaleCooper, if you like Naked Gun I suggest you watch Wrongfully Accused, Spy Hard, & National Lampoons Loaded Weapon. All are funny. :)

I did watch a film with Samuel L Jackson & Milla Jovovich the other day, No Good Deeds, it was about the woman playing all the men to get the illegal money, Jackson was a copper held as a hostage who fell for Milla. Some good scenes of the Resident Evil actress. 2/5

FUN FACT: Samuel L. Jackson is a vegan! No, really.
 

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
Coherence - At first I was going to be critical of this film but then I remembered it is the director's first film, much of the dialogue is improvised, the budget was $50,000 and the only location was the director's own house. Taking all that into account it is a remarkable piece of sci-fi in which, on the night a particularly bright comet is visible, eight people at a dinner party experience some extremely strange events culminating in what, for me, was a fitting, frightening and ambiguous ending. Be warned this is another "mind f**k" but if you like films such as Memento and The Butterfly Effect this could be one for you. If this was a $100M Hollywood film I would give it about 6.0/10 but for the reasons stated above I think it deserves 8.0/10 and a wider audience.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2866360/?ref_=rvi_tt
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
4 Lions - superb black comedy about jihadis - lots of you wont like it. It is about a group of 4 young Muslim men living in Sheffield who decide to wage jihad via an inept plan to become suicide bombers.
 
Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,129
Location
Redcar
Legend - Tom Hardy is superb as both of the Kray twins

Ooh need to getting around to watching that as it looks excellent and I do like Tom Hardy. One for this weekend perhaps!

4 Lions - superb black comedy about jihadis - lots of you wont like it. It is about a group of 4 young Muslim men living in Sheffield who decide to wage jihad via an inept plan to become suicide bombers.

Yes 4 Lions is absolutely excellent particularly in the way that it starts out as a fairly straight comedy and slowly develops into a pitch black comedy. I would highly recommend it.

As for myself I watched The 5th Wave last weekend. Fairly run of the mill end of the world sci-fi with a young adult focus. Nothing particularly wrong with it but nothing that really grabbed me either. Not a bad way to spend two hours though on a lazy Saturday afternoon.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
A classic war film tonight - Where Eagles Dare with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood. All together now:

Broadsword calling Danny boy, Broadsword calling Danny boy
 

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2015
Messages
2,798
Location
Hull
A classic war film tonight - Where Eagles Dare with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood. All together now:

Broadsword calling Danny boy, Broadsword calling Danny boy

Nodded to in a Doctor Who episode - the one with Spitfires in SPACE
 

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
Alien (The Director's Cut) - what can I say about this classic, it's hard to believe it's nearly 40 years old and the only things that look dated are the computer displays.

There is one thing that annoyed me and it's in many action and sci-fi films. It's the "self destruct in T minus 5 minutes" thing, which is totally meaningless as far I'm concerned. If as I assume "T" is the present moment then "T minus 5 minutes" is in the past, what I presume they mean is "T plus 5 minutes" or if "T" is the future event then they should say "It is now T minus 5 minutes". Am I completely misunderstanding something?
 

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2015
Messages
2,798
Location
Hull
There is one thing that annoyed me and it's in many action and sci-fi films. It's the "self destruct in T minus 5 minutes" thing, which is totally meaningless as far I'm concerned. If as I assume "T" is the present moment then "T minus 5 minutes" is in the past, what I presume they mean is "T plus 5 minutes" or if "T" is the future event then they should say "It is now T minus 5 minutes". Am I completely misunderstanding something?

"T" is the moment something happens - T minus 5 means five minutes to go.

T PLUS five means that five minutes has passed.

You can best see this when Red October runs Red Route One in HFRO. They reach the point they want to turn at but the Captain keeps them going past that mark - the navigator then correctly uses "plus"

#

Lolita
 

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
"T" is the moment something happens - T minus 5 means five minutes to go.

T PLUS five means that five minutes has passed.

You can best see this when Red October runs Red Route One in HFRO. They reach the point they want to turn at but the Captain keeps them going past that mark - the navigator then correctly uses "plus"

#

Lolita

I know what they mean but that isn't what they say, if they mean it the way you explain they should say "It is now T minus 5 minutes" but what they always say is "It will happen in T minus 5 minutes".
 

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2015
Messages
2,798
Location
Hull
I know what they mean but that isn't what they say, if they mean it the way you explain they should say "It is now T minus 5 minutes" but what they always say is "It will happen in T minus 5 minutes".

Thats normally down to a poor bit of scriptwriting... I always take great care not to do that when I write
 

JoeGJ1984

Member
Joined
7 Nov 2010
Messages
521
I went to see The Jungle Book - a live action remake of the Disney classic animated film (which was a childhood favourite) - It was very good. A fair few additions to the original film which I thought worked well. 9/10.
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
Last night I saw The Spy Who Stole My Face which is The Man From U.N.C.L.E. franchise's first film. It was often comical, the clown in Sandy's bed, the murder of an airline passenger being explained away because he was a diabetic, and the main plot of the film being that the main spy (Napolean Solo) being replaced by an identical evil imposter was also funny. The action was okay, the lookof the film was great, although it was clear that much of the Europe part of the film was actually California. It was a good film and I hope to watch the next few.
4/5
 

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
Inland Empire - Probably David Lynch's most difficult film. 170 minutes, non-linear and with not much sign of an obvious plot. It's best if you can keep an open mind, immerse yourself in the experience, enjoy the sights and sounds and leave analysis for later as I find that Lynch's films stay in your thoughts long after the closing credits. 7.5/10
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
.
From the sublime Inland Empire to the ridiculous Airplane! - although I've seen this more times than I can remember I was still giggling like an idiot at the non-stop jokes, you really will miss some if you blink. It features classic scenes such as Staying Alive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WXVaChA3Q0, the autopilot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WQfZYacEAw, and the crews pre-flight checks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVq4_HhBK8Y. One of the great comedies 9.0/10 (and the sequel is just as good)
 

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2015
Messages
2,798
Location
Hull
From the sublime Inland Empire to the ridiculous Airplane! - although I've seen this more times than I can remember I was still giggling like an idiot at the non-stop jokes, you really will miss some if you blink. It features classic scenes such as Staying Alive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WXVaChA3Q0, the autopilot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WQfZYacEAw, and the crews pre-flight checks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVq4_HhBK8Y. One of the great comedies 9.0/10 (and the sequel is just as good)

You watched that?

Well, good luck - we're all counting on you
 

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
Having watched Airplane! the previous day I just had to watch the sequel Airplane II: The Sequel - as I said it is every bit as funny as it's predecessor so another 9.0/10. Ironically for a spoof this film actually used the old "T minus xx minutes" phrase correctly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top