• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Films you've seen/film discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gutfright

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2016
Messages
639
Grand Budapest Hotel (on Netflix):

A thoroughly enjoyable 100 minutes of whimsy. 9/10
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
One of my all time favourites - The Mask starring Jim Carrey - 8.5/10

Just watched it for the umpteenth time and I still found new things in it that I hadn't noticed before and the dog deserved an Oscar.

Smokin'
 

Attachments

  • The-Mask-1994.jpg
    The-Mask-1994.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 11

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
Edward Scissorhands - Modern fairytale directed by Tim Burton so you know it's going to be a bit different. A tragicomedy with visuals like a mixture of a 1960s American soap opera and Gormenghast. Stars Winona Ryder (fine actor and beautiful woman with the eyes of a psychopath) and Johnny Depp.

7.5/10
 

Attachments

  • Winona Ryder.JPG
    Winona Ryder.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 4

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Chappie. I just like it for its oddness. The mix of sci fi and really mundane ordinary stuff and the way Neill Blomkamp does a near future dystopia does it for me. The setting in South Africa as well just makes it a bit different. The cast was good, I like Hugh Jackman and Sigourney Weaver, Dev Patel was boss and Yolandi and Ninja from bizarre rap/rave group Die Antwoord were actually pretty cool and their characters used their "Real" names. Ha ha. Plus it ranged from funny to really sad.
 

TheNewNo2

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2015
Messages
1,008
Location
Canary Wharf
Over the past two days I have watched:

1) Spy (the 2015 Melissa McCarthy one). I rated this 4.5/5.0, "really good". While it was not believable, it was extremely funny.

2) Black Sea. I rated this 1.5, "Bad". Generally dreadful in every way, with a cast you didn't really care about, an annoying adoptive son theme, and a total of one line spoken by someone who didn't have a penis.
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
Poor guy.

Anyway...
House on Haunted Hill is the horror film we recorded the other day, it's a bit weird but it's not bad, I'd say 2.5 / 5.
 

Gutfright

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2016
Messages
639
Noah (2014)

If God really existed, it would be necessary to abolish him. Not Darren Aronofsky's best film, but not much he could have done with such ridiculous source material.

2.5/5
 

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
Cop Land - 8/10

I rate this highly just because of Sylvester Stallone's performance. A fairly standard corrupt cops story with Harvey Keitel, Robert De Niro and Ray Liotta, Stallone makes it something special. Just don't expect Rambo.
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
Did you see Stop or my Mom will Shoot!?
It's the funniest Stallone film out there.
His mum shows up and interferes in his work and life and he can't take it.
Very funny :)
4.8/5
 
Last edited by a moderator:

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
Did you see Stop or my Mom will Shoot!?
It's the funniest Stallone film out there.
His mum shows up and interferes in his work and life and he can't take it.
Very funny :)
4.8/5

I haven't seen that, the funniest Stallone film I have seen is Demolition Man, Sandra Bullock's in it and I thought she was hilarious. It's one of those films I can watch again and again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K5O_fjTyh8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gDiSTtABuE

Bought it Saturday watched it Sunday Quadrophenia

Any good?
 

scott118

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2015
Messages
928
Location
East Anglia
the Adderall Diaries - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1735907/

As a writer stymied by past success, writers block, substance abuse, relationship problems and a serious set of father issues, Elliott's cracked-out chronicle of a bizarre murder trial amounts to less than the sum of its parts. Not long into the 2007 trial of programmer Hans Reiser, accused of murdering his wife, the defendant's friend Sean Sturgeon obliquely confessed to several murders (though not the murder of Reiser's wife).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Mr Right - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2091935/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

A girl falls for the "perfect" guy, who happens to have a very fatal flaw: he's a hitman on the run from the crime cartels who employ him.

...I've had a busy day..
 
Last edited:

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
Having extolled the virtues of Demolition Man in my last post I decided to watch it again. Still good fun, no Oscar winner but very entertaining - 7/10
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
.
Twelve Monkeys - diected by Terry Gilliam and starring Bruce Willis

In 2035 a convicted criminal is offered a pardon if he goes back to 1996 to gather information about a virus which has killed 99% of the world's population.

Time travel films are always problematic with plenty of opportunity for plot holes and paradoxes but Twelve Monkeys manages to avoid them and tells a thrilling and poignant story. - 8.5/10

Other good time travel films if you like that sort of thing:

The Time Traveler's Wife
Primer
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
I liked the Twelve Monkeys movie, but the series dragged out for way too long.

The best Timetravel film (and best film ever), is Star Trek 8: First Contact, it has the scary Borg go back in time to prevent an historic event from occurring and wiping out humanity, only the crew of the Enterprise-E can save the day.
10/5.

I saw the five Gunsmoke movie sequels recently, they are not as good as they would of been if the whole cast was back, but are alight, 2/5-3/5.
 

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
The Man Who Wasn't There - 7/10

This Coen brothers film set in the 1940s and presented in black and white (although filmed in colour) is a slow-paced but compelling story of an ordinary man whose plan to get into the dry cleaning business goes badly wrong.
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Sorry to go off subject re the last film we saw but when it comes to time travel films I enjoyed Predetermination.
 

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
The Ninth Gate - Johnny Depp plays a rare book dealer in a thriller with supernatural overtones, not an outstanding film but ok, the one thing that bothered me was him examining rare and valuable books with a fag in his mouth - 6.5/10
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
I didn't like the ending of Ninth Gate, totally un-neccessary.

I tried to watch Crash after my sister said it was good, it was disjointed, boring, predictable, and the only theme is about all the characters being racist.
An utterly rubbish film we had to give up on it was so bad. 0/5.
I'm going to avoid listening to my sister on films now.

Die Hard 5 was the replacement film, it didn't feel like a Die Hard film, it was like watching an un-used Mission Impossible script with Bruce Willis. It had car chases and brutal violence though. 2.5/5 is my rating, easily worse than the first 3 films, probably worse than "4.0" too.
 

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
I tried to watch Crash after my sister said it was good, it was disjointed, boring, predictable, and the only theme is about all the characters being racist.
An utterly rubbish film we had to give up on it was so bad. 0/5.
I'm going to avoid listening to my sister on films now.

Crash is one of my favourite films, it just goes to show that tastes differ. I often find that films that are rated highly are not at all to my taste and vice versa, some examples being The Shining, Avatar and Gravity.
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
Avatar was too long a film, it could easily be condensed into a 60min film.
I find that Oscar winning films tend to be worse than the other big films. Disappointingly Avatar 5 has already been given the go ahead despite the fact 2 hasn't been shown yet.

I totally understand how tastes vary (I'm glad someone enjoyed that film :) ), Howard the Duck is a film which is often critized, but I would rate it 5/5 for it's unique story, comedy, terror, romance, and the plot. It's great.
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Avatar was entertaining but not what I would call a good film. Mind you what we would call a good film varies greatly. I would call Biutiful an amazing film, others would find it relentlessly grim. Last nights selection, I pinched The Book Thief off my brother only to discover the box was empty, I watched The Damned United instead which is amazing. Michael Sheen doesn't look like Brian Clough but he captures his mannerisms really well. Plus Timothy Spall as Peter Taylor. A brilliant film even if you don't like football. I also watched Star Wars: Attack of the Clones yesterday. Like Avatar it is entertaining but not great. Hayden Christensen is awful though. More wooden than my computer desk.
 

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
Eraserhead - David Lynch's nightmarish, dystopian and thoroughly strange film is not to everyone's taste but if you can put aside ideas of plot, character development etc. and just immerse yourself in the visuals you might find it oddly rewarding. What you won't get are car chases, gun fights, martial arts, superheroes, aliens or sex scenes.

I won't give it a rating because to compare it with mainstream offerings is pointless, think of it as a work of art, albeit horrific and macabre, rather like the works of Hieronymus Bosch.

Other (more mainstream but still weird) David Lynch films in my collection are:
Mulholland Drive
Wild at Heart
Inland Empire
Lost Highway
Blue Velvet
Twin Peaks (TV series)
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me


Perhaps I'll be reviewing them sometime.
 

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2015
Messages
2,798
Location
Hull
Given a certain piece of topical news about banning orders, Elton John: Someday Out of the Blue
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
The Hollow Crown: Henry V (Tom Hiddleston, Anton Lesser, Paterson Joseph, Julie Walters, John Hurt) 5/5

A brilliant dramatisation of one of Shakespeare's greatest plays. Tom Hiddleston is brilliant as Henry V, with great acting all round.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top