• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Films you've seen/film discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Triangle - Melissa George in a mystery/thriller which I've just watched for the third time and still spotted things I hadn't noticed before. Relatively low budget, no big stars, not much CGI, no Oscars just a well written, well acted film with a few surprises and one that must have needed careful planning to realise some of the scenes. This is the kind of film that shows you don't need to spend $100M on special effects to tell a gripping story. Warning - it is a bit of a mindf**k, but that's what I like. Recommended 8.0/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/?ref_=rvi_tt

I'm sure having Melissa George in it made the film a bit better. :D
 

TheNewNo2

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2015
Messages
1,008
Location
Canary Wharf
Over the weekend I watched:


The Runner - The latest Nic Cage film I've watched with my girlfriend (one of our first times together involved watching National Treasure, and we've just run with it). Rather disappointing - the cover had explosions, but the only explosion was in the pre-title. A meh film and a lousy Nic Cage film. 2/5

Avengers: Age of Ulton - A standard Marvel blockbuster, but it's pretty good. 3.5/5

Elysum - It's taken me a while to see this, and you could tell that it was from the same guy who did District 9 - it has the same sense of grime and squalor. Diverting but nothing really special. 3/5
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Over the weekend I watched:


The Runner - The latest Nic Cage film I've watched with my girlfriend (one of our first times together involved watching National Treasure, and we've just run with it). Rather disappointing - the cover had explosions, but the only explosion was in the pre-title. A meh film and a lousy Nic Cage film. 2/5

Avengers: Age of Ulton - A standard Marvel blockbuster, but it's pretty good. 3.5/5

Elysum - It's taken me a while to see this, and you could tell that it was from the same guy who did District 9 - it has the same sense of grime and squalor. Diverting but nothing really special. 3/5

I found Age Of Ultron a bit tedious. I really liked Elysium but then I also liked District 9 and Chappie. Elysium had a bit less humour to it. Not got much to say about recent Nicholas Cage films.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Most recent film I've seen was The Force Awakens. Not bad.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
I Believe in Miracles - A documentary film that deals with the story of Nottingham Forest's rise, under Brian Clough and Peter Taylor, to becoming European champions in 1979 and 1980 through interviews with the players, archive footage and a superb soundtrack

Very good indeed.
 

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
Kill List - As British as Coronation Street or East Enders, in fact for the first 20 minutes you might think you are watching a soap opera then it turns into a mixture of Layer Cake and The Wicker Man. Stars Michael Smiley who you might remember as Tyres in the comedy Spaced. 6.0/10
 

TheNewNo2

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2015
Messages
1,008
Location
Canary Wharf
On Wednesday:


Captain America: Civil War. Excellent movie, which really showed Batman vs Superman how to do a fight between superheroes. Despite the vast cast (even bigger than Age of Ultron), every character gets their turn in the sun.
 

Requeststop

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2012
Messages
1,001
Location
Carbis Bay, St Ives, Cornwall
The last film I saw in a cinema was Summer in February in the Savoy Cinema in Penzance.

What a dire experience it was too. The Savoy is possibly the Worlds oldest continuous cinema. The place was full of locals not interested in the film but on the local locations where the film was shot (and shot the producer and director should have been) commenting that "they couldn't come to that place from that direction" etc etc. There was no air conditioning and I'm sure a few people walked out too, because of the heat in the building or the direness of the film I cannot comment.

Along with a few villagers, I was an extra in a German/Italian film during a scene of a film I never saw, filmed in the churchyard in Lelant - Sir Alec Guinness was in the scene, came over to chat to us all for a short time during a break. Lovely man.
 

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2015
Messages
2,798
Location
Hull
The last film I saw in a cinema was Summer in February in the Savoy Cinema in Penzance.

What a dire experience it was too. The Savoy is possibly the Worlds oldest continuous cinema. The place was full of locals not interested in the film but on the local locations where the film was shot (and shot the producer and director should have been) commenting that "they couldn't come to that place from that direction" etc etc. There was no air conditioning and I'm sure a few people walked out too, because of the heat in the building or the direness of the film I cannot comment.

Along with a few villagers, I was an extra in a German/Italian film during a scene of a film I never saw, filmed in the churchyard in Lelant - Sir Alec Guinness was in the scene, came over to chat to us all for a short time during a break. Lovely man.

What year would this have been? I was looking it up and can find Guinness filming in Lelant but with anything to do with Germans or Italians.
 

DasLunatic

Member
Joined
11 May 2015
Messages
696
WarGames: 1980s film about two kids who hacked into the US Military and started a war simulation. It shows just how far we've come since the days of dialling into other computers. 3½/5.
 

Requeststop

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2012
Messages
1,001
Location
Carbis Bay, St Ives, Cornwall
What year would this have been? I was looking it up and can find Guinness filming in Lelant but with anything to do with Germans or Italians.


Possibly 1983-5? Not too sure. They had put a really lovely bench just outside the church entrance (porch) near to the old graves facing Hayle looking towards the station. We had hoped that the film company would leave the seats there. T he church did get a decent donation. I am certain that it was a German/Italian production company.
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
Columbo Undercover, saw this, this week.
Very good story, and refreshingly a unique Colombo episode in many ways.
5/5.
 

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
Alien Nation - James Caan in this 1988 cop thriller with aliens - good and bad. Fairly standard cop/buddy/action film but the alien angle adds a bit of spice - 7.0/10
 

anme

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2013
Messages
1,777
Star Wars (1977 version) - 2/5. The special effects still look good, although George Lucas's later CGI additions are obvious and are less impressive. However, the story is stupid, the acting is terrible and the dialogue is almost comically bad (on purpose?).

I watched the first ten minutes of the next one (1980? - can't remember the name) and gave up as it looked just as poor.
 
Last edited:

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
Star Wars (4), had many problems in production. It was due out for Christmas, but it was found the film was boring so swathes of the film were cut, and some re-shoots took place, hence the late release date. I agree some of the acting is a bit poor, and Jabba's appearence was terribly done (they reused the footage of Han and Jabba from the cut scene, despite Jabba being a human then, hence the stepping on his tail awkwardly bit). A poor excuse for a special edition.
The story is also weak and has plotholes. 4/5
The next (5) is considered the best. I enjoyed 3 alot more though.
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
Maleficient, a Sleeping Beauty story told from the evil fairy's point of view.
Some shocks and twists in the story, some humour.
Not a bad story surprisingly. And it stars Angelina Jolie as the baddie.
4.5 / 5
 

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
The Illusionist with Edward Norton - I watched this for the first time several months ago and was really impressed so I gave it another go last night but was disappointed. This time round and without the suspense of the first viewing I realised how contrived it was. Some films I can watch again and again because they are so well made but this one is definitely of the "watch once" variety. - 5.0/10
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,848
Location
Clydebank
The last film I've watched from start to finish recently is Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011). Quite simply one of the best films DreamWorks has ever produced, bonus points for it being a sequel.

It manages to strike a near-perfect balance of drama and comedy, something that is not easy for any animated film to effectively pull off, yet they managed it here without going overboard in either direction. The story/script is impeccably written and flows really well. The action/fighting sequences are beautifully animated and full of highly charged, fast-paced action. The movie as a whole is just gorgeous to look at. The voice cast is the cherry on top (Gary Oldman plays the main villain brilliantly). I highly recommend this one. - 8.5/10
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
Last night my Mum put on Jaws 4: The Revenge.
It was as good as the other Jaws movies, Michael Caine's appearence was good. A few scary shark attacks as you'll expect. But the film's ending was lame and disappointing.
3/5

Right after that film was Total Recall.
A great film, and I'm still unsure about whether any of it actually happened or not. The fight scenes, the machine gunning, the special effects are all intense. The robot cabby was great, it was great seeing four familar Star Trek faces especially the woman with the three boobies from TNG. The film is an absolute classic and Arnie was superb in his role as Quaid.
5/5
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
The last film I've watched from start to finish recently is Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011). Quite simply one of the best films DreamWorks has ever produced, bonus points for it being a sequel.

It manages to strike a near-perfect balance of drama and comedy, something that is not easy for any animated film to effectively pull off, yet they managed it here without going overboard in either direction. The story/script is impeccably written and flows really well. The action/fighting sequences are beautifully animated and full of highly charged, fast-paced action. The movie as a whole is just gorgeous to look at. The voice cast is the cherry on top (Gary Oldman plays the main villain brilliantly). I highly recommend this one. - 8.5/10

That was the last DVD I watched too. It's one of my son's favourites. I'd give it a 9 though. The original film was good too, the bit where Po is trying to get in to see the selection of the Dragon Warrior had both of us in stitches.
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
That was the last DVD I watched too. It's one of my son's favourites. I'd give it a 9 though. The original film was good too, the bit where Po is trying to get in to see the selection of the Dragon Warrior had both of us in stitches.

I agree, I love those films! I like the bit where Po pretends to be Master Shifu with the noodles.

And the best bit in Kung Fu Panda 2 was this:

'I'll need...a hat!'

And then he tried to throw it like a frisbee, and it just bounced off the rooftops...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top