leomartin125
Member
This morning's 1A40 arrival from Penzance was 57603 on the front and 57310 at the rear if that may help explain anything about what's happening with the sleeper loco's...
I think they should scrap the 57s, why waste time and money trying to fix them when they always fail? 68s or even the 67s should replace them.
This morning's 1A40 arrival from Penzance was 57603 on the front and 57310 at the rear if that may help explain anything about what's happening with the sleeper loco's...
That's tempting fate a bit! I've never found 603 to be the best of the GW ones, and to tag that heap that is 310 on the back. I'm surprised it's back as well, does that mean 303 has gone back to DRS again then?
Incidentally, despite the feeling of dred when I saw I had a DRS 57/3 last Friday to PZ, it did rather well and was only a -2 arrival into PZ. Not bad for the ex 47705.
That's tempting fate a bit! I've never found 603 to be the best of the GW ones, and to tag that heap that is 310 on the back. I'm surprised it's back as well, does that mean 303 has gone back to DRS again then?
Incidentally, despite the feeling of dred when I saw I had a DRS 57/3 last Friday to PZ, it did rather well and was only a -2 arrival into PZ. Not bad for the ex 47705.
Eh? 303 is one of the better ones! 604 is a pile of crap, but never had a problem with 603 either![]()
No. It's just an increased cost. In any case the sleeper can run multiple ways between Reading and Taunton: via Box, via Bristol Parkway, direct via Newbury and Castle Cary, via Newbury and Bath, etc etc. Using an electric loco would be utterly pointless as you'd just reduce your diversionary options.Longer term, will GWR be looking for electric haulage between Bristol and London? Class 90? This will leave the 57s to look after the non-electrified sections in the south west. ??????
Longer term, will GWR be looking for electric haulage between Bristol and London? Class 90? This will leave the 57s to look after the non-electrified sections in the south west.
No. As they often go via the B&H.
I say get Class 88's from DRS and hire them out to operate the service with electric mode between Paddington and Bristol TM and then on diesel mode from Bristol southwards. No issues either as these are brand new loco's. But will this happen? No.
Also if you need to divert via unelectrified track - no issue! Just switch power modes. Simple, no need to get another train involved. Surely that has to be efficient!
I say get Class 88's from DRS and hire them out to operate the service with electric mode between Paddington and Bristol TM and then on diesel mode from Bristol southwards. No issues either as these are brand new loco's. But will this happen? No.
Also if you need to divert via unelectrified track - no issue! Just switch power modes. Simple, no need to get another train involved. Surely that has to be efficient!
A Class 88 has a last mile diesel only, it's a 950 up unit. Hardly going to make brisk progress on a passenger train!
Last night the down sleeper left Paddington at 311am according to realtimetrains. ( GWR app says 100am though!) Another loco failure?
The other way round:-
57605 had to be scrambled from Penzance today to rescue failed XC HST on Newquay Branch. The thread is here:-
www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=131083
I should add that 57303 is no longer down south, to my knowledge. I saw it recently in the Birmingham area on a Berkeley to Crewe light engine move.