FGW operate 57/6's but have leased in 57/3'S from DRS. Both versions are experiencing issues at the moment. Last I heard 3 FGW 57/6's are out of traffic.
FGW operate 57/6's but have leased in 57/3'S from DRS. Both versions are experiencing issues at the moment. Last I heard 3 FGW 57/6's are out of traffic.
Which is the operational one? I still need the green one for haulage but won't be back down there until start/mid-Jan. Had one of the 57/3s in Virgin days, rest are required.
Why is it opportunities spring up when I'm not around?![]()
At the moment and as it stands, the situation of the fleet is like this:
57602 & 605 are at RVEL Derby awaiting an overhauled set of bogies
57604 is at Old Oak with poor condition wheel sets - it has Wheelflats.
57310 has coolant issues which had limited it initially to OOC-Padd-OOC shuttles, this was apparently fixed but the fault has unfortunately reoccurred again, exasperated by the curves on the GW (sounds poor I know, but it doesn't seem to like the can't of the track around Exeter). It should have been exchanged with DRS by now as...
57303 moved down from Thunderbird duties on the WCML yesterday and managed to work last night down before having a DSD fault which will hopefully be fixed at Long Rock by now.
Leaving 57603 as the only FGW in traffic 57 at the moment. Last nights UP sleeper was worked was 2 HST power cars with 57310 providing ETS - still in emergency formation from its failure the night before at Exeter.
If the DSD fault on 57310 was on the leading cab on the way down it should be okay the other end to go back I would have thought. If it wasn't I thought some plans would be in place for tonight by now. I am at work and have not heard that 1A40 will be in doubt.
There is more wrong with it than just a faulty DSD. That's one of many of problems. Oil mixing with coolant is the other issue apparantly
Not quite sure at the moment without checking over some items on my computer but the Northern Belle contract has now had its locos switched over to DRS 57/3s - 305 & 312 - 305 was the rather reliable /3 which spent its summer on hire to FGW while 604 was in Derby. As soon as 604 came back, DRS whisked it off to Eastleigh before making its debut recently on the NB.This is purely a question and not an opinion. So to those involved with, or in the know, are there any advantages with a 57 over an unrebuilt 47/8 regarding performance, plus is the 47/8 a better bet as far as reliability is concerned? Just wondered why the prestigious Northern Belle for example is still entrusted to such vintage machines rather than 57s?
57s got kicked off ATW/Welsh Government Cardiff to Holyhead and FGWs Cardiff to Taunton services when loco hauled and replaced by 67s.
How many of the DRS 57s have had any sort of overhaul since DRS took them on, going by the state of 310 while it looks lovely, inside its a bag of spanners!
As far as I'm aware of, it was mostly a quick paint job and tidy up during their transfer from Virgin & NR to DRS. Usual exams applying, but no form of proper mechanical overhaul, their last was quite probably during their Virgin Trains ownership days.
With the exception of 312 which despite being named, became NRs parts donor for a while after a *I think* mechanical issue with rendered it a failure.
So basically they are shiny turds!
State of Play currently:
57 602 - RVEL, awaiting overhauled bogies from Wabtec.
57 603, in service.
57 604, restricted use, due to flats. For Pilot use only between Padd and OOC. Requires New Wheelsets
57 605, RVEL, under overhaul.
57310 - Currently in bits at OOC
57303 - Now on hire to FGW. Operating 1A40 this evening
Thanks for that - it would be 604 and the two 57/3s that I'd be looking out for![]()
Don't bank on 604 piloting every night, as sometimes a Gronk is used instead
I see it left Reading RT but arrived Paddington 58 late!According to the EX78 man last night, 303 was went quite well. TRI's on it all week however, just in case
So basically they are shiny turds!
I see it left Reading RT but arrived Paddington 58 late!
Does anyone know how 603 is coping this week? I know it's been suffering from low power issues (no surprise for 603!) recently.
This is purely a question and not an opinion. So to those involved with, or in the know, are there any advantages with a 57 over an unrebuilt 47/8 regarding performance, plus is the 47/8 a better bet as far as reliability is concerned? Just wondered why the prestigious Northern Belle for example is still entrusted to such vintage machines rather than 57s?
2x DRS (ex Virgin 57/3's) are now part of a pool of 3 loco's (inc 1x 47) for the prestigious Northern Belle Operation now unless I'm very much mistaken?
Ben
The NB previously had two Class 47s dedicated specifically to it in NB livery. One, 47832, has been sold to WCRC. The other, 47790 remains in NB livery and has recently been joined in that livery by two 57/3s which have also been given appropriate names.
I doubt that they'll be binning them in the near future.