• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW 57/6 (and DRS 57/3)s Unreliability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2012
Messages
2,373
I can't help but wonder if the 57's days on the sleeper maybe numbered. The soon to be exChiltern 67s could be a viable long term replacement if things get desperate.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
The 57s are not doing well. it's got to be time to retire them. They have their own fleet plus 2 or 3 hire ins and still can't manage to get 2 a day out of 7-8 to work for 7-8 hours.
 

221129

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
6,515
Location
Sunny Scotland
The 57s are not doing well. it's got to be time to retire them. They have their own fleet plus 2 or 3 hire ins and still can't manage to get 2 a day out of 7-8 to work for 7-8 hours.

In fairness I believe only 2 of FGWs fleet are available... Plus 3 Hire ins
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,661
Location
Hampshire
In fairness I believe only 2 of FGWs fleet are available... Plus 3 Hire ins

Correct. The frustrating thing for FGW must really be having 604 sat around OOC doing little to nothing. It's a very reliable 57 that and when it runs, can put in some sterling service. The problem I gather is with it's scrap tyres. And it seems new tyres these days can only come from South Africa, which isn't a quick job at all. Then you've got to get it to another workshop which can lift it off it's bogies, disconnect the traction motors, replace the wheelsets etc it all takes some considerable time. Not to mention the unforeseen delays with the 57s receiving 'work' at RVEL and bogie overhauls by Wabtec. All in all I'd be pretty p*ssed off if I was in management at the moment. Then there's been the quality of the DRS hire ins which can't have done Direct Rail Services reputation any good - Safe, Secure, Reliable?

As it stands, the fleet situation is this:
FGW - 57602, 57603.
DRS - 57303, 57306, 57312.
OOC - 57604
RVEL Derby - 57605.

I'm not being cynical about First's intentions towards the Night Riviera - It's a hugely successful service* to the people of the West Country and First has put a lot of money into making it a little more viable than it was at the start of the franchise. I am going to be cynical about DRS though - They have 12 57/3s in their fleet, along with a plentiful supply of 47/8s. But as last autumn showed, they placed 57/3s onto Network Rail Sandite duties, and sent a fair few to Eastleigh for repainting. Somehow FGW seems to be sent the unreliable ones though - 310 for some considerable time before 303 was finally sent along - 303 has been a little more reliable but hasn't been without it's issues, 312 has already failed with low power - a 603 regular trait, and now 306 seems to be having issues. I know DRS have the Northern Belle and West Coast Thunderbird contracts to honour, but... I was equally surprised to see DRS making use of 605 to take the Pretendolino from Wembley to Norwich Crown Point in December, before moving onwards to Derby.

Incidentally, some positive Night Riviera news. The Mk3 SLEP which was removed from the service a few weeks ago after developing wheelflats has been taken away to Kilmarnock for inclusion in the refurbishment program, it is now the 3rd Mk3 in the program and should be coming back down south sometime in the oncoming months. FGW is by the way, adding at least another TSO and SLEP to the fleet to increase coach numbers, while also using more of the spare vehicle / vehicles.

*Reliability pending of course.
 

83G/84D

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2011
Messages
6,154
Location
Cornwall
Bad tyres or not 57604 made it to Penzance on the back of the down sleepers this morning with 57303 leading.
 

CosherB

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2007
Messages
3,041
Location
Northwich
Correct. The frustrating thing for FGW must really be having 604 sat around OOC doing little to nothing. It's a very reliable 57 that and when it runs, can put in some sterling service. The problem I gather is with it's scrap tyres. And it seems new tyres these days can only come from South Africa, which isn't a quick job at all. Then you've got to get it to another workshop which can lift it off it's bogies, disconnect the traction motors, replace the wheelsets etc it all takes some considerable time. Not to mention the unforeseen delays with the 57s receiving 'work' at RVEL and bogie overhauls by Wabtec. All in all I'd be pretty p*ssed off if I was in management at the moment. Then there's been the quality of the DRS hire ins which can't have done Direct Rail Services reputation any good - Safe, Secure, Reliable?

As it stands, the fleet situation is this:
FGW - 57602, 57603.
DRS - 57303, 57306, 57312.
OOC - 57604
RVEL Derby - 57605.

I'm not being cynical about First's intentions towards the Night Riviera - It's a hugely successful service* to the people of the West Country and First has put a lot of money into making it a little more viable than it was at the start of the franchise. I am going to be cynical about DRS though - They have 12 57/3s in their fleet, along with a plentiful supply of 47/8s. But as last autumn showed, they placed 57/3s onto Network Rail Sandite duties, and sent a fair few to Eastleigh for repainting. Somehow FGW seems to be sent the unreliable ones though - 310 for some considerable time before 303 was finally sent along - 303 has been a little more reliable but hasn't been without it's issues, 312 has already failed with low power - a 603 regular trait, and now 306 seems to be having issues. I know DRS have the Northern Belle and West Coast Thunderbird contracts to honour, but... I was equally surprised to see DRS making use of 605 to take the Pretendolino from Wembley to Norwich Crown Point in December, before moving onwards to Derby.

Incidentally, some positive Night Riviera news. The Mk3 SLEP which was removed from the service a few weeks ago after developing wheelflats has been taken away to Kilmarnock for inclusion in the refurbishment program, it is now the 3rd Mk3 in the program and should be coming back down south sometime in the oncoming months. FGW is by the way, adding at least another TSO and SLEP to the fleet to increase coach numbers, while also using more of the spare vehicle / vehicles.

*Reliability pending of course.
An excellent summary. Maybe DRS should invest more money on maintenance rather than the copious quantities of paint they seem to get through. Accepting that the basic locos are 50 years old, the engines are 30-odd years old and the alternators 30 to 40 years old, refurbished or otherwise, it's getting to be elderley kit that seemingly needs more and more TLC. This whole episode has been a PR disaster for DRS and I'm sure will be in the back of the minds of TOC managers when looking to hire in DRS locos in future.
 

83G/84D

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2011
Messages
6,154
Location
Cornwall
Latest hire in from DRS is 57306 which made it to Penzance today along with 57602:-
 

Attachments

  • ED2A8229.jpg
    ED2A8229.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 76
  • ED2A8378.jpg
    ED2A8378.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 85
  • ED2A8386.jpg
    ED2A8386.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 74

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,661
Location
Hampshire
Bad tyres or not 57604 made it to Penzance on the back of the down sleepers this morning with 57303 leading.

I gather it's back on a fresh set of bogies. So that will help to alleviate some of the pain FGW are feeling and fortunately now means that the fleet is almost up to full strength again with 57602, 603* and 604 all available for use again. :)

Nice pictures of 602 & 306 In Penzance by the way!

An excellent summary. Maybe DRS should invest more money on maintenance rather than the copious quantities of paint they seem to get through. Accepting that the basic locos are 50 years old, the engines are 30-odd years old and the alternators 30 to 40 years old, refurbished or otherwise, it's getting to be elderley kit that seemingly needs more and more TLC. This whole episode has been a PR disaster for DRS and I'm sure will be in the back of the minds of TOC managers when looking to hire in DRS locos in future.

What I don't get, is that DRS have had no Northern Belle work over the entire month of January and there isn't anything until the 14th of Feb. So what's stopped them from sending a more reliable loco down to FGW? If I was the customer, I would hardly be very happy with DRS's loco performances, especially seeing locos like the 57/3 Fleet running around on Sandites in East Anglia or pushing around Nuclear Flasks with 20s, when the dire performances of the on hire to FGW fleet. Also, given that the Northern Belle can operate with 47s, FGW is limited to 57s I find DRS's reactions a little odd. Who knows, there's probably more to it, but given the length of time it's taken to get 310 into the works since it's first failure last summer I'm a little disappointed.

*When it want's to work of course!
 

Murph

Member
Joined
16 Feb 2010
Messages
728
Given the problems with the 57 fleet is there any reason HSTs are not used on the service?

If you meant class 43 HST power cars providing traction for the SLEPs, rather than HSTs, it's due to electrical compatibility. Mark 3s are either HST type with 415VAC 3 phase ETS; or LHCS type with the same 415VAC 3 phase auxiliary equipment, but supplied via a per-coach motor-generator set which is supplied by standard 750-1000VDC ETS. Mark 3s have been converted from LHCS to HST in the past, but it takes time and money, and they can then only run with 43s.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
57312 I believe did a rugby charter today, anyone know if it went any better to the rugby than its done on the beds?
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
Maybe I should have made myself a tad clearer, I was referring to the Power Cars.

You haven't said where they would come from. When HSTs get involved with the Beds you usually find there is a cancellation in the morning !!!
 

RobShipway

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2009
Messages
3,337
You haven't said where they would come from. When HSTs get involved with the Beds you usually find there is a cancellation in the morning !!!

Having asked the same question in this thread as Jamaal, I believe there are at least two spare class 43's stabled either at OOC or at Laira?

Okay, I accept that fact that the change of the coaches to be HST coaches would take time and yes, other than the two that I believe are spare no others would be available until Class 800 start services on the GWML.

However, correct me if I am wrong but aren't the Chiltern MK3's none HST's coaches that are being pulled with Class 67 and now Class 68 loco's?

So if my point above is correct, why does FGW no sub lease either DB Shenker Class 67's or the Class 68's such as 68008 or 68009?
 

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Joined
13 Feb 2011
Messages
3,275
So if my point above is correct, why does FGW no sub lease either DB Shenker Class 67's or the Class 68's such as 68008 or 68009?

This is only good if they decide to completely move away from 57s, including their own 57/6s. They they can train their drivers on 67s or 68s.

Otherwise we get back to the age old problem. The drivers don't sign them.
 

RobShipway

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2009
Messages
3,337
This is only good if they decide to completely move away from 57s, including their own 57/6s. They they can train their drivers on 67s or 68s.

Otherwise we get back to the age old problem. The drivers don't sign them.

Okay, how does it take a driver to learn how to drive a new locomotive or train on average?
 

RobShipway

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2009
Messages
3,337
It may not just be lack of driver knowledge regarding the 67s, but are they proven machines on the Devon banks?

Good question, as I am not sure that either 67's or 68's have been to the Devon Banks. However, if a 57 can make pulling coaches then I am pretty sure that a more powerful class 67 or 68 can.
 
Last edited:

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
Good question, as I am not sure that either 67's or 68's have been to the Devon Banks. However, if a 57 can make pulling coaches then I am pretty sure that a more powerful class 67 or 68.

67s have been there on charter trains.
 

RobShipway

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2009
Messages
3,337
It just isn't as simple as that.

I believe a class 67 has gone up the Lickey before now pulling mark 3 coaches without any help or assistance needed and since the Lickey is the steepest railway incline within Great Britain, then Devon Banks should be no problem and as Noddy1878 has just commented there have been there on Charter trains already. So what is the issue please other than driver knowledge?
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,225
Location
Stockport
I believe a class 67 has gone up the Lickey before now pulling mark 3 coaches without any help or assistance needed and since the Lickey is the steepest railway incline within Great Britain, then Devon Banks should be no problem and as Noddy1878 has just commented there have been there on Charter trains already. So what is the issue please other than driver knowledge?

Well a possible issue is that a charter train is a one off service, more than likely running during the daytime, whereas the sleeper operates during the early hours all year round, and during the Autumn and winter months is likely to encounter less then favourable rail conditions. The 67 only has around half the tractive effort of a 47/57 so the operators would need prove they are capable before ditching the 57s. And of course I could be completely wrong here, after all Iam just an armchair enthusiast;)
 

hello

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2008
Messages
231
didnt 67's used to work mail trains to/from plymouth on a regular basis?
 

RobShipway

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2009
Messages
3,337
Well a possible issue is that a charter train is a one off service, more than likely running during the daytime, whereas the sleeper operates during the early hours all year round, and during the Autumn and winter months is likely to encounter less then favourable rail conditions. The 67 only has around half the tractive effort of a 47/57 so the operators would need prove they are capable before ditching the 57s. And of course I could be completely wrong here, after all Iam just an armchair enthusiast;)

I am just an armchair enthusiast as well, but I believe that a class 67 could do a better and more reliable job on the Night sleeper than the Class 57's which are using traction motors that are from Class 56's that where introduced prior to the HST's where introduced on the GWML.

I also believe that the reconditioned EMD engines that they use are not that much younger than the traction motors and this is on a frame that was introduced in the early 1960's, which means that it is almost if not over 50 years old.

I was born in 1969 and I am 45. the Class 47's where introduced between 1962 - 1968, that means the youngest is 46 years old with the oldest being over 50 years old. I am not sure the age of the donated class 47's, but to me they are past their sell by date. Better to have a 15/16 year old class 67 doing the sleeper service.

I have got a few days off before Easter and was thinking about taking the sleeper service down to Penzance overnight, but given the issues I think I will postpone until there is more reliable traction on the service.

The above is also making the point that people at FGW should recognise, in that if taking the sleeper service is pointing enthusiasts like me off, because of the reliability what is it doing to those that are not enthusiasts or have to take the service regularly? I am pretty sure that there will have been some people going over to flying or taking a coach instead.
 

83G/84D

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2011
Messages
6,154
Location
Cornwall
It may not just be lack of driver knowledge regarding the 67s, but are they proven machines on the Devon banks?

Don't forget that Class 67's were regulars over the South Devon banks when they worked the postal trains.
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,225
Location
Stockport
Don't forget that Class 67's were regulars over the South Devon banks when they worked the postal trains.

Yes, fair comment. I wasn't suggesting they weren't capable but merely asking if they were suitable, as if from a FGW/NR perspective. Surely they would run trials with them before committing to full 67 operation?
 

Murph

Member
Joined
16 Feb 2010
Messages
728
Yes, fair comment. I wasn't suggesting they weren't capable but merely asking if they were suitable, as if from a FGW/NR perspective. Surely they would run trials with them before committing to full 67 operation?

Perhaps DBS should do some stealth marketing by positioning some 67s in suitable locations to act as thunderbirds. With current 57 reliability, it should only take a few days before the opportunity presents itself for them to prove their suitability via rescuing, with the extra weight of a dead 57 to demonstrate that their locos could cope with ease. ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top