• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,336
Location
Neath
Looks like the ECS was booked via Barry and the VOG which the 197 its currently booked for arent yet fully route cleared so was a 158 booked to do it just to Swansea and back.
That makes sense. Thanks.
I thought it was a bit odd as often the Swansea to Cardiff part was cancelled rather than a totally separate service.
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,198
67029 is HD01 if I'm not mistaken? So this should be the first 5 car out?
Yes first of the 5 cars in service. Today's full diagram is in post 3769.

It's out all day today, in Crewe tomorrow then should be back out again on Monday.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,649
Location
Hampshire
67008 + HD06 failed at Moorland Road Junction leaving Cardiff with 1W57, 1Z99 being sent for from Canton.
I do wonder how much longer TfW will carry on with DB supplying the 67s, particularly when and rather conveniently, a number of AAR fitted 68s may soon be released from the Chiltern’s if (or when) they take the ex TPE sets.
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,198
Is the Swansea a unit tomorrow then?
With the engineering work there's only 1 booked diagram tomorrow which is the Canton-Canton one.
Should be HD02 on 10:32 Swansea to Crewe and 16:10 Crewe to Swansea tomorrow AFAIK
 

Flying Snail

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2006
Messages
2,048
I do wonder how much longer TfW will carry on with DB supplying the 67s, particularly when and rather conveniently, a number of AAR fitted 68s may soon be released from the Chiltern’s if (or when) they take the ex TPE sets.

Even if TFW were able to switch to 68s, how long and how much disruption would the training of all drivers and guards on the new traction cause, not to mention the inevitable modifications, faults and lack of maintenance familiarity issues?
 

voithgearbox

Member
Joined
12 Feb 2023
Messages
34
Location
Great Malvern
Just saw on RTT that 5W57 CRE-XCR had been cancelled, assuming 5V46 XCR-CRE would not be running too? Would this affect which end the loco is facing as I do not know much about the Crewe area - many thanks
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,198
Just saw on RTT that 5W57 CRE-XCR had been cancelled, assuming 5V46 XCR-CRE would not be running too? Would this affect which end the loco is facing as I do not know much about the Crewe area - many thanks
Crewe depot would be just out and back so if it's just going back from the station instead of shunting to the depot and back it will still be the same way round.
 

craigybagel

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2012
Messages
5,829
Even if TFW were able to switch to 68s, how long and how much disruption would the training of all drivers and guards on the new traction cause, not to mention the inevitable modifications, faults and lack of maintenance familiarity issues?
Nothing for the guards, it shouldn't make any difference to them - but you'd need to train about 150 drivers. You'd need to speak to someone from Chiltern to confirm but I'd be surprised if it was anywhere less than a 5 day conversion course per driver.

Just saw on RTT that 5W57 CRE-XCR had been cancelled, assuming 5V46 XCR-CRE would not be running too? Would this affect which end the loco is facing as I do not know much about the Crewe area - many thanks
It just stayed on Platform 12, much easier than having to go in and out of the depot. The loco is still at the Cardiff end.
 

voithgearbox

Member
Joined
12 Feb 2023
Messages
34
Location
Great Malvern
67029+HD01 making its way down to Cardiff at Hereford. Slight disruption with WMR services regarding the Barnt Green area delayed my arrival so thankfully still caught it, calling it a day now :)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7698.jpeg
    IMG_7698.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 146

Diedinium

Member
Joined
31 Oct 2021
Messages
185
Location
Shropshire
67029+HD01 making its way down to Cardiff at Hereford. Slight disruption with WMR services regarding the Barnt Green area delayed my arrival so thankfully still caught it, calling it a day now :)
Brilliant, can't wait for this to become a common sight.

Which is likely to be the next 5 car set? HD03?
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,336
Location
Neath
I've posted some photos and video on the TFW enthusiasts group.(Facebook) of my MK4 first class journey for those on there. One thing I noticed when booking my ticket online, I waited until that morning to book so I could check on RTT it was definitely a MK4 (and just crossed my fingers and hoped it wouldn't be swapped!) But the 1649 ex Cardiff for example was subbed for a 2 car 197 yet the option to book a first class ticket was still available for this particular service. It doesn't give a very good impression on customers who wouldn't know it was being swapped as I doubt the average customer would check RTT. Would staff at ticket offices even be aware of the swap?

Based on various discussions on this thread it seems the diagram which starts at Swanssa (Mon to Sat) is not booked a MK4. Do we have a planned date of when this is expected to switch to a Mk4. May timetable change or might that be optimistic?
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,198
the 1649 ex Cardiff for example was subbed for a 2 car 197 yet the option to book a first class ticket was still available for this particular service. It doesn't give a very good impression on customers who wouldn't know it was being swapped as I doubt the average customer would check RTT. Would staff at ticket offices even be aware of the swap?
Agreed, when some of these trains are effectively planned out days in advance more needs to be done to restrict sales on 1st class at that point and potentially warn people who have booked. There does unfortunately seem a divide between plans and sales.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Based on various discussions on this thread it seems the diagram which starts at Swanssa (Mon to Sat) is not booked a MK4. Do we have a planned date of when this is expected to switch to a Mk4. May timetable change or might that be optimistic?
The base diagrams are for Mk4s on it, they're just over-ridden each week and short term diagrams are put in so it doesn't need a timetable change to swap it.
Once HD03 is out the fleet will finally be 7 rakes for the first time. There's been talks of it happening then and also when the lengthening programme is finished but not sure which is the current plan. Either way it should be well before the timetable change.
 

Western 52

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2020
Messages
1,672
Location
Burry Port
From RTT, it looks like 1W56 1032 Swansea to Crewe is actually Mk4 today. First Sunday for a while I think.
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,336
Location
Neath
Agreed, when some of these trains are effectively planned out days in advance more needs to be done to restrict sales on 1st class at that point and potentially warn people who have booked. There does unfortunately seem a divide between plans and sales.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


The base diagrams are for Mk4s on it, they're just over-ridden each week and short term diagrams are put in so it doesn't need a timetable change to swap it.
Once HD03 is out the fleet will finally be 7 rakes for the first time. There's been talks of it happening then and also when the lengthening programme is finished but not sure which is the current plan. Either way it should be well before the timetable change.
I guess when it's a short notice swap even overnight for the following day/evening it can cause issues changing the online system. I mean other services on the line towards Manchester aren't booked for first class so you would think they easily amend the online system.

I did actually catch the 1649 for my up journey but obviously booked a standard class advance knowing it was going to be subbed. The guard made a big deal of announcing on the tannoy that the train was only 2 carriages this evening and all.passengers were to remove bags from seats but no mention as to why it was short formed and no apology for lack of first class or advice on getting refunds for those who might have booked first class tickets. It was as if it was just short formed from 4 to 2 car 197 rather than a MK4 with first class to 2 car 197.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

From RTT, it looks like 1W56 1032 Swansea to Crewe is actually Mk4 today. First Sunday for a while I think.
Yes that is the first Sunday this year I believe as the first week it was a pair of 153s and last week a 3 car 197!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

The base diagrams are for Mk4s on it, they're just over-ridden each week and short term diagrams are put in so it doesn't need a timetable change to swap it.
Once HD03 is out the fleet will finally be 7 rakes for the first time. There's been talks of it happening then and also when the lengthening programme is finished but not sure which is the current plan. Either way it should be well before the timetable change
That's great. Sooner than I thought.
 
Last edited:

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,198
From RTT, it looks like 1W56 1032 Swansea to Crewe is actually Mk4 today. First Sunday for a while I think.
To be fair it's the only diagram today. If couldn't get 1 set out then there's problems!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I guess when it's a short notice swap even overnight for the following day/evening it can cause issues changing the online system. I mean other services on the line towards Manchester aren't booked for first class so you would think they easily amend the online system.

I did actually catch the 1649 for my up journey but obviously booked a standard class advance knowing it was going to be subbed.
In all honesty a sizable majority of swaps aren't done on the day or overnight, they're done before that. The 1649 diagram is by far the most likely diagram to swap out. It's planned to run tomorrow (apart from the 4:54 from Crewe) but then drops back to a substitute on Tuesday. Should then be 4 diagrams Wednesday onwards but for the last few weeks that diagram has had terrible coverage. Unfortunately it's the only diagram that starts and finishes in the same place so doesn't affect maintenance cycles by knocking it out when there's a shortage.
 
Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2012
Messages
5,829
To be fair it's the only diagram today. If couldn't get 1 set out then there's problems!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
To be fair, if the weather gets as bad as expected tonight it might get sent home to bed early. They don't like having the locos out of there's a lot of disruption around.
 

Lurcheroo

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2021
Messages
1,241
Location
Wales
The guard made a big deal of announcing on the tannoy that the train was only 2 carriages this evening and all.passengers were to remove bags from seats but no mention as to why it was short formed and no apology for lack of first class or advice on getting refunds for those who might have booked first class tickets. It was as if it was just short formed from 4 to 2 car 197 rather than a MK4 with first class to 2 car 197.
We’re very often not privy to the information as to why it’s short formed. We get to the platform for our train and a 2 car turns up. We then know it’s going to be very busy due to the lack of coaches and our focus is on what we can for the passengers on our service at that time.
Personally then, I would make the announcements regarding the short forming, saying that I expect the service to be very busy and ask people to remove bags and such from seats. If it’s not already to the point I can’t walk through then I would go through, enforce that (and I have had people seriously unhappy about me asking to move bags off seats, it’s insane how selfish some people can be), and, as I worked 158’s only, I would also make sure any vestibule doors were Isolated in the open position and windows open as the A/C was terrible and it would be incredibly hot and sweaty with a F+S 2 car even in winter.
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,336
Location
Neath
We’re very often not privy to the information as to why it’s short formed. We get to the platform for our train and a 2 car turns up. We then know it’s going to be very busy due to the lack of coaches and our focus is on what we can for the passengers on our service at that time.
Personally then, I would make the announcements regarding the short forming, saying that I expect the service to be very busy and ask people to remove bags and such from seats. If it’s not already to the point I can’t walk through then I would go through, enforce that (and I have had people seriously unhappy about me asking to move bags off seats, it’s insane how selfish some people can be), and, as I worked 158’s only, I would also make sure any vestibule doors were Isolated in the open position and windows open as the A/C was terrible and it would be incredibly hot and sweaty with a F+S 2 car even in winter.
To be fair i totally agree with the guard for asking people to remove bags etc and doing it over the tannoy is easier before the train departs as it picked up a lot of passengers at Newport when almost every seat was taken But I think comments such as 'seats are for passengers not bags' and 'you can put your bags on the overhead luggage racks or on your laps' is not really necessary, i think people would know where to store their bags/luggage properly!

It just would be nice for customers to be kept in the loop about why the booked traction isnt on the service including the first class.

A few times previously I have asked someone to move a bag so i can sit down, i dont get why some people think they are entitled to a double seat to themselves!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

To be fair, if the weather gets as bad as expected tonight it might get sent home to bed early. They don't like having the locos out of there's a lot of disruption around.
Thats understandable as there is limited options to rescue them. And it is supposed to get bad later on.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top